Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

The Americans are watching this & they are absolutely fascinated.....I don't think there is the downgrade some are suggesting.....some interesting Twitter links above.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

leahyl wrote: »
    A serious downgrade? Really? Who’s saying this?

There are a lot of people who want to be the 'i told you so' guy, so they wander into a discussion, make a predictive statement pretending that they know it will happen, and only return to gloat if it turned out to be right.

It's like someone going all in in poker with a pair of 2s. If they lose they say they were bluffing, if they get a lucky draw and win with a full house, they claim foresight and skill

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not a given, just to be used as a guide subject to change.

Mean speeds

1150_hys1.png

Gusts

6240_dbr1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Akrasia wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who want to be the 'i told you so' guy, so they wander into a discussion, make a predictive statement pretending that they know it will happen, and only return to gloat if it turned out to be right.

It's like someone going all in in poker with a pair of 2s. If they lose they say they were bluffing, if they get a lucky draw and win with a full house, they claim foresight and skill

And the winner of post of the thread is....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

v1fhDPZ.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

leahyl wrote: »
    A serious downgrade? Really? Who’s saying this?

Haastentoad and Gaooith laidir saying it's not going to be asent bad as what people think and one of then mentions max gust of 85mph which is strong but we get that somewhere in Ireland every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There is no downgrade ... just too early to go up to level 3, but several models have potential for damaging wind gusts especially in Kerry, west Cork, west Limerick, Clare, and parts of Galway. One or two models would suggest potential for 160 km/hr gusts in exposed parts of Kerry and southwest Cork. The Hirlam model is suggesting that as the low approaches 50N it will continue to have hurricane force winds in the southern quadrant feeding around to the southeast quadrant.

Also the storm looks very impressive on satellite this morning.

Will be absent until about 16z (sleep time for me) and back for the 12z model run discussions.

Anyone reading the thread in west Munster or near Galway Bay should note that we are holding at level 2 for operational reasons but you are in a level 3 alert situation as of now according to most guidance. This may change for the better in later model runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Haastentoad and Gaooith laidir saying it's not going to be asent bad as what people think and one of then mentions max gust of 85mph which is strong but we get that somewhere in Ireland every year.

Yeah maybe off the coast of Donegal....in Cork, not so much....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

fraxinus1 wrote: »

I never said there was a downgrade. I was just pointing out differences in windspeed classification. When you see a NHC wind, take around 11% off it to get the standard Beaufort value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm in Clare. Today is gonna be all about sorting out my house and making sure my relatives and friends are prepared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Based on current guidance I know I'll be putting the trampoline away for sure. Shed is well sheltered, will see how it stands up to its first storm.

I will be in work in Galway city around the peak of the winds so I will be watching cautiously throughout the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

So calm here in South Dublin. Looking at all the trees in lovely colour . Won't look so good on Tuesday going by the models

A nice satellite image of Ophelia now, showing water vapour below 700 hPa.

20171014.0745.goes13.x.wv1km.17LOPHELIA.85kts-971mb-334N-297W.92pc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Darren Brett there on BBC News 24 just now saying gusts of 80 MILES per hour possible in eastern Northern Ireland

If that’s what pans out up there,there’s only one word for further south :eek:

Well I am very, very grateful for this thread. I'm spending the weekend tidying up the outside of my parents house. They live roughly 8 miles east of Mullaghmore,

I am more concerned about power outages than damage around the house as my dad is wheelchair/bed bound and all his food has to be pureed. He has an air mattress which will deflate after a few hours of no power. Because of the early warnings on this thread, I tried a normal mattress on the bed and it fits and I also acquired a special mattress topper for it.

I'm gonna buy a couple more flasks today and have soup and tea made. My sisters house is next door and she has a stove. Will light that first thing and use it for warming mashed potato and custard.

Penneys have gold/metal frame lights that are battery operated and these cheap one metre LED strips. The light off them is much better than a candle. If you're shopping today, I'd recommend buying some. Don't forget to buy AA + AAA batteries!

Once again, thanks all for the posts. I'm in the better to be safe than sorry camp.

Latest track guidance. The new NHC's new model the HMON has been pretty abysmal so far this year.

aal17_2017101400_track_late.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

Darren Brett there on BBC News 24 just now saying gusts of 80 MILES per hour possible in eastern Northern Ireland

If that’s what pans out up there,there’s only one word for further south :eek:

Yeah, not much talk about the East coast but some of the models look like having very strong winds along Irish sea coastal counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

jvan wrote: »
    Yeah, not much talk about the East coast but some of the models look like having very strong winds along Irish sea coastal counties.

Aye there’s potential for a lot of flight disruption
    I don’t see much activity at Dublin Airport with speeds like that even in gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thank god im coming home on Tuesday night - this will have passed by then

Looks incredible seeing a hurricane so far North, well defined symmetrical eye.

v3AQRva.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Hi folks and thank you for all of the info and advice. Informative and not hysterical.
    I live in SW Kerry and have begun preparations. I would not be preparing at all only for this site. I think Met Eireann, the Govt and insurance companies could do a lot more to inform people. You have filled that void.

What is the advice for people with very large windows. US sites say do not tape up ut instead fit storm shutters. Is it the case here that we simply have to suck it up, hope for best and prep for worse. Or is there anything practical that can e done.
    I have begun removing external potential missles.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

Penneys have gold/metal frame lights that are battery operated and these cheap one metre LED strips. The light off them is much better than a candle. If you're shopping today, I'd recommend buying some. Don't forget to buy AA + AAA batteries!

Once again, thanks all for the posts. I'm in the better to be safe than sorry camp.

When buying torches, led lights etc, bear in mind than an AA battery has approx double the capacity of an AAA battery.

So if you have a choice of a light with a similar light output, go for one that uses AA batteries.

This means that for a given light you'll have longer operating from a set of AA batteries than from a set of AAA batteries.

v3AQRva.jpg?1

It's not that far north, it's still only at the latitude of Bermuda. Granted for the eastern Atlantic we see a lot less than that side.

Kerry could get some wallop.

Gusts

ks9CIfX.png?1

HjqbVTX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

v3AQRva.jpg?1

Now that is one for the archives!

guanciale wrote: »
    Hi folks and thank you for all of the info and advice. Informative and not hysterical.
    I live in SW Kerry and have begun preparations. I would not be preparing at all only for this site. I think Met Eireann, the Govt and insurance companies could do a lot more to inform people. You have filled that void.

What is the advice for people with very large windows. US sites say do not tape up ut instead fit storm shutters. Is it the case here that we simply have to suck it up, hope for best and prep for worse. Or is there anything practical that can e done.

The guys we see in the US boarding up windows and using storm shutters are doing so in preparation for proper hurricanes of Cat 2,3,4, etc. We may not get even Cat 1.

I think people are getting a bit carried away with this system. It will be windy, but the damage potential of what we may get is several times lower than say a Cat 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

guanciale wrote: »

I think M.E are playing a blinder on this so far and I’m happy for the government to be guided by the experts on this. This thread has been in the main excellent and enjoyable but you can see elements of hysteria from time to time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Hurricane Ophelia Discussion Number 21
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL172017
    500 AM AST Sat Oct 14 2017

Ophelia's 20-nmi-diameter eye has continued to become more distinct
    and cloud-free, with the eye temperature now reaching 15 deg C.
    Satellite intensity estimates range from T4.5/77 kt from TAFB to
    T5.0/90 kt from SAB and T5.5/102 kt from UW-CIMSS ADT. For now, the
    initial intensity will remain at 85 kt, which is an average of the
    available intensity estimates.

The initial motion estimate is 060/21 kt. Ophelia is embedded within
    deep-layer southwesterly flow on the east side of a broad
    mid-latitude trough. The global and regional models remain in
    excellent agreement on the trough amplifying over the next 3-4 days,
    which will cause the hurricane to accelerate toward the northeast at
    forward speeds near 30 kt by 48 hours. The tight clustering of the
    NHC model guidance, which shows very little cross-track or
    along-track spread, increases the confidence in the official track.
    As a result, no significant changes were made to the previous
    advisory, and the new forecast track remains near the middle of the
    guidance envelope, close to the HCCA and TVCX consensus models.

Ophelia is expected to remain in relatively low vertical wind shear
    environment for the next 12 hours or so, which should help the
    hurricane retain much of its current intensity during that time,
    even though SSTs are only going to be 24-25C. However, upper-level
    temperatures that are still about 2 deg C cooler than normal, which
    will help to create sufficient instability to continue to drive the
    development of inner-core convection. By 36 hours or so, the shear
    is forecast to increase to 30-40 kt and the troposphere is expected
    to become stable as sea-surface temperatures decrease to less than
    20 deg C. However, even those SST values are about 2 deg C warmer
    than normal for this time of the year. Those above-average ocean
    temperatures are forecast to combine with strong baroclinic energy
    associated with a potent, negatively tilted, upper-level trough,
    causing Ophelia to transition into a powerful extratropical low
    pressure system. By 48 hours, the post-tropical cyclone is forecast
    to maintain sustained hurricane-force winds as it approaches
    Ireland, with stronger winds expected over higher terrain.

Given that Ophelia is forecast to become extratropical, the wind
    field should expand, resulting in impacts over portions of the
    British Isles regardless of its exact location or strength. By 96
    hours, Ophelia should have weakened due to the interaction with
    land, causing the surface circulation to become ill-defined, and
    dissipation is expected shortly thereafter.

Although the center of Ophelia is not forecast to reach Ireland or
    the UK for another 48-60 hours, wind and rain effects will arrive
    well in advance of the cyclone center. Individuals in those
    locations should consult products from their local meteorological
    service for more information on local impacts.

Tropical-storm-force winds are possible throughout the Azores
    beginning tonight, primarily due to an approaching cold front.
    However, any track deviation to the west could bring stronger winds
    associated with Ophelia's circulation to those islands. Interests
    in the Azores should refer to products issued by the Azores Weather
    Forecast and Watch Center.

KEY MESSAGES:

1. Ophelia is expected to become a hurricane-force post-tropical
    cyclone by Monday before it moves near Ireland and the United
    Kingdom. Direct impacts from wind and heavy rain in portions of
    these areas are likely, along with dangerous marine conditions. For
    more details on the magnitude, timing, and location of impacts from
    post-tropical Ophelia, residents in Ireland should refer to products
    issued by Met Eireann, and residents in the United Kingdom should
    refer to products issued by the Met Office.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 14/0900Z 33.9N 28.6W 85 KT 100 MPH
    12H 14/1800Z 35.3N 25.4W 80 KT 90 MPH
    24H 15/0600Z 38.3N 20.4W 80 KT 90 MPH
    36H 15/1800Z 43.0N 16.0W 75 KT 85 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    48H 16/0600Z 48.4N 12.5W 75 KT 85 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    72H 17/0600Z 57.4N 6.3W 50 KT 60 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    96H 18/0600Z 63.1N .5W 40 KT 45 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    120H 19/0600Z...DISSIPATED

$$
    Forecaster Stewart
    NHC discussion 21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The guys we see in the US boarding up windows and using storm shutters are doing so in preparation for proper hurricanes of Cat 2,3,4, etc. We may not get even Cat 1.

I think people are getting a bit carried away with this system. It will be windy, but the damage potential of what we may get is several times lower than say a Cat 3.

Plus our buildings are low & block construction. The real damage will be from trees & blowing debris. People should try to park their car in a sheltered spot & make sure that there is nothing to blow around like wheelie bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Peak mean & gust speeds (knots) from the latest UK Met run for major coastal towns. Note that this is still low res territory so should be treated as nothing more than conservative guidance at this stage:

Mean/Gust

Belfast: 21/46
    Derry: 23/46
    Sligo: 26/47
    Galway: 29/51
    Limerick: 26/51
    Cork: 30/57
    Waterford: 31/56
    Dublin: 25/46

Shall update this list on next run.

New Moon

Advertisement