Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

I'm in Dublin, will there be snow as my kids will be disappointed if there is not. It's not fair everywhere gets snow but Dublin never does. Hopefully we get a good covering on Monday!!

This is why there should be no chat on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I have made preparations for this storm but I still feel that it won't be anymore different than a normal Irish autumn gale. If it were going to be as severe as many on here suggest, Met Eireann would have issued the necessary alerts by now. I'm not saying that some areas won't experience a good blast but talk of surges and disruption seem a bit dramatic. A friend's son works in the county council here and they have heard nothing about it at this stage and sure they get warned if there's going to be an inch of snow yet not a word about this supposed severe storm. Something isn't right about all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I assume that the system has lost energy as it went over cooler waters ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I'm in Dublin, will there be snow as my kids will be disappointed if there is not. It's not fair everywhere gets snow but Dublin never does. Hopefully we get a good covering on Monday!!

MOD NOTE: INFRACTION FOR TROLLING.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the hurricane seems to be in the same position as yesterday just off the Canaries ?

what speed is it moving at? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

highdef wrote: »
    Say you live at 200m, does this mean that those wind speeds apply to you, if not even higher speeds?

Higher and depending on terrain higher still
    It all depends on where this goes and gusts
    Darwin had a different track but did a lot of damage in Kilkenny,which is definitely not coastal
    This is a stronger storm

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Nearly cancled a trip over this thread, non event... lets drop title to a level 1 and delete 70 pages of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

fryup wrote: »
    the hurricane seems to be in the same position as yesterday just off the Canaries ?

what speed is it moving at? :confused:

It was moving at 3 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Higher and depending on terrain higher still
    It all depends on where this goes and gusts
    Darwin had a different track but did a lot of damage in Kilkenny,which is definitely not coastal
    This is a stronger storm

Well 159KPH at Shannon from Darwin will take a lot to beat. :o

Current charts show Ophelia will overtop that figure! Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note

This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling and flaming

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Would it be possible to have a thread opened for technical discussion,charts etc only, no chatting,arguing,trolling etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

__..__ wrote: »
    Trampoline is too big to dismantle.
    Im going to leave it out for the craic. Test to see how good i set it up.
    If its gone at least it will give me some more space in the garden.

If you take the net and bed off its just a frame. Nothing for the wind to pick up then. You'd hate yourself if it hurt someone or damaged property - especially your own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

flaneur wrote: »
    I assume that the system has lost energy as it went over cooler waters ?

Not yet. I think it's all about the track of it now . Shes coming .Force 9/10 the west can handle, but that will do a lot of damage on the east coast. Trees are still in leaf mostly.

It's fascinating watching this unfold. If nothing else we'll get to see a hurricane or a hurricane fall apart on our shores . Can't remember ever saying that before.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Well 159KPH at Shannon from Darwin will take a lot to beat. :o

Current charts show Ophelia will overtop that figure! Interesting times ahead.

Aye it has plenty of potential to top that
    But remember that there were probably plenty places even during Darwin that topped that but we don’t know because official wind stations are too scattered and very far between

The impact depends on its exact track

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Moving 24mph now so its caught in the stream, still sustained winds 100mph so high Cat 2. That's 24hrs of sustained 24hr winds, as expected. About 12 hours until it starts receding and soon after downgraded to Cat 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I like many here just assumed it would be downgraded. That not happening is it.......

km79 wrote: »
    I like many here just assumed it would be downgraded. That not happening is it.......

It will weaken but interaction with the jetstream will power it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

jasper100 wrote: »
    this won't be any worse than usual winter storms in Ireland.

How can you make this assumption when most of the general comments from people who know what they are on about seem to say we are in for a big wind event.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I live in an estate in Bettystown with few trees but flooding issues. The council are actually building a flood relief tank as a solution. Normally an unusually high tide and persistent rain can cause flooding, does this storm look more windy then wet?

Also, what is a level 3 warning? Is that the highest warning possible? If you stay at home , should you be relatively safe? I’m currently getting my attic converted and while they have the reinforced steel installed and windows , I am a bit concerned that high winds could be an issue.

Lastly, my mum is prob going to be going into hospital in Dublin on Monday morning. Am I reading the graphs right that it won’t be Monday afternoon or evening before things potentially start getting bad?

And to add my sentiments, thank you so much for all the knowledge, answers and advice. I have emailed and text people links to this thread because it’s been so informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

How can you make this assumption when most of the general comments from people who know what they are on about seem to say we are in for a big wind event.

Dont feed it man :)

• Advertisement

It would be entertaining now if we had a weather channel in Ireland,we could have somebody standing on a beach in a rain coat,just that we lack the melodrama and pomp of Americans.

We need Teresa mannion all over this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Even a stiff gust at this time of year causes branches to fall,with a major storm a lot of people are in for a shock with flying debris. One of the stupidest things I saw during Darwin was a fella walking his dog along a tree lined back road as boughs were snapping and raining down. I had to drive that road and couldn't wait to get off it.No matter how many warnings are given,some people will still do dumb sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Again, this chart probability refers to 1-minute GALE Force (34 knots) and higher, not only Beaufort STORM Force 10. This is the problem with the NHC'S classification. For them a tropical "storm" is anything with winds above 34 knots (1-minute mean), which is just a gale for us.

There are 2 other models showing probabilities of higher wind speeds:

090416.png

090416.png

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

It would be entertaining now if we had a weather channel in Ireland,we could have somebody standing on a beach in a rain coat,just that we lack the melodrama and pomp of Americans.

Do we?

News-reporter-Teresa-Mannion-battles-through-stormy-conditions-to-deliver-her-weather-report-624814.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

In hindsight I think I will batten down the hatches and net over the skip that’s outside. Anyone got any idea wheee you can get netting?

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Do we?

News-reporter-Teresa-Mannion-battles-through-stormy-conditions-to-deliver-her-weather-report-624814.jpg

Were getting there,slowly :)

Who's the southern correspondent for RTE,Damien Tiernan? can't imagine him getting excited,his reporting is very subdued.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

We need Teresa mannion all over this one.

We do have someone like that here. I say get the cameras and send her out.

Edit. Beaten to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There are 2 other models showing probabilities of higher wind speeds:

090416.png

Yes, so Cat 1 winds looking unlikely at the moment based on that.

• Advertisement

Here's Met reann's ECMWF chart for Monday, showing "only" force 9-10 in the south.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

430555.PNG

I've seen worse many times on this page, but I wouldn't put too much trust in this yet..

Advertisement