Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Meireann have gone straight to RED!

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    Ex-hurricane Ophelia is expected to bring severe winds and stormy conditions on Monday. Mean wind speeds in excess of 80 km/h and gusts in excess of 130km/h are expected, potentially causing structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.

Issued:Saturday 14 October 2017 12:00
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for The rest of the country
    Ex-hurricane Ophelia is expected to bring severe winds and stormy conditions on Monday. Mean wind speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between of 110 and 130km/h are expected, however some inland areas may not be quite as severe. The winds have potential to cause structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.

Issued:Saturday 14 October 2017 12:00
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    On Monday, an Atlantic storm from the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia will move northwards close to Ireland. There is still a high degree of uncertainty regarding the exact track and evolution of the storm. However, storm force winds, heavy rain and high seas are threatened. Met Eireann will continue to monitor this storm and will issue appropriate warnings as required.

Issued:Friday 13 October 2017 08:00
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 06:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

!!!!!!!RED ALERT ISSUED! BY MET EIREANN
    THIS JUST GOT SERIOUS!!!!

GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 130KMH

Galway mayo Clare cork and Kerry.

ORANGE WARNING REST OF THE COUNTRY.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

!!!!!!!RED ALERT ISSUED! BY MET EIREANN
    THIS JUST GOT SERIOUS!!!!

Galway mayo Clare cork and Kerry.

Serious, yes, but massive cap locks serious, no.

People just need to take nesessary precautions and not get carried away (pun intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

jasper100 wrote: »
    Exactly, until Met Eireann issue warning this stuff is merely speculative and hypothetical.

In the event that specific counties get a level 3 warning tomorrow there is plenty of time tomorrow to tidy away trampolines and wheelie bins, move cars away from trees etc.

If you don’t like the idea that a weather thread about an event - with its many experts - gives earlier warnings than Met.ie why are you on the thread? Just rely on Met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

davo2001 wrote: »
    Serious, yes, but massive cap locks serious, no.

People just need to take nesessary precautions and not get carried away (pun intended).

DO not, I repeat DO NOT
    leave your washing on the line on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

905 posts for something that may not happen? wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

907 now

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

flaneur wrote: »
    In hindsight I think I will batten down the hatches and net over the skip that’s outside. Anyone got any idea wheee you can get netting?

Company that supplied the skip will have them.

They are supposed to put them over them if transporting them with anything that could fly out. So they should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Arcady

I'm booked to fly Dublin to Birmingham around 19:00 on Monday. I'm actually based in Cork, and would travel to Dublin by train or coach, so I'd be setting out about noon. Obviously the whole thing is really badly timed. Doh!

But can I ask you experts whether, given what can be reasonably foreseen, I should just throw in the towel at this point, and resign myself to the flight being cancelled? If that's the case, I'd be much better off staying home in Cork city. If there are going to be mass cancellations on Monday, anybody got a sense of when official notification might be issued?

I know it's all probabilities, but you guys are much better equipped to estimate them than I am, and I'd really appreciate any informed advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

iguana wrote: »
    Move it into as sheltered a spot as you can, take the safety nets down and drive crowbars over the legs like giant tent pegs. That's secured it for me through the storms of the last few winters.

Thanks.
    I think its secure enough though. Didnt come out during Desmod, so im going to trust my handywork for this one too.
    I would be more worried about the trees though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Status red and not s pickle on Rte. I'm so glad all the general public use met.ie. FFS rte, update!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

__..__ wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I think its secure enough though. Didnt come out during Desmod, so im going to trust my handywork for this one too.
    I would be more worried about the trees though.
    That username made me smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Den Creed wrote: »
    A Jesus, and its bin day on Monday in Kerry as well

For Gods sake man, dont put the bins out. We dont want your rubbish in Cork.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The more significant aspect of the red and orange warning for me is the potential time period, the start is now somewhat earlier, and it has the possibility of running overnight into Tuesday early hours, which seems to be a spread compared to what was happening. Will be interesting to see how this is mentioned in the lunch time forecast shortly.

As to why, we'll have to wait for the later updates to see what's triggered the updates and upgrades. Hopefully now, this will at least damp down the level of trolling posts that have been happening.

Those sorts of sustained and gust speeds have the potential to move more substantial things like oil tanks if there's not much oil in them, given that the direction will not be the normal west of south quadrant, so people in the red area may want to check to see if there's a risk of tanks being moved by this one.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

At 10 am.

430567.jpg

That is a stunning image. I don't suppose prints of these things can be got commercially?

Aside from that I am in central Europe so well out of harm's way but with family and friend concerns. Will be watching what plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

Those sorts of sustained and gust speeds have the potential to move more substantial things like oil tanks if there's not much oil in them, given that the direction will not be the normal west of south quadrant, so people in the red area may want to check to see if there's a risk of tanks being moved by this one.

Exactly, the wind is forecast to be East and South East for most of the stronger affected areas on Monday, I think people will get a surprise to have storm force from that direction, many doorways, shed openings etc. face east, as do many sheltered harbours on the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I am a bit spooked with this storm to be fair debating whether to call into work sick on Monday what is others thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

stevek93 wrote: »
    I am a bit spooked with this storm to be fair debating whether to call into work sick on Monday what is others thinking?

Working from home hopefully. Couldnt leave the poor dog out in the back garden all day.. Could I?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

antodeco wrote:
    Status red and not s pickle on Rte. I'm so glad all the general public use met.ie. FFS rte, update!

Not even a mention on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Arcady wrote: »
    I'm booked to fly Dublin to Birmingham around 19:00 on Monday. I'm actually based in Cork, and would travel to Dublin by train or coach, so I'd be setting out about noon. Obviously the whole thing is really badly timed. Doh!

But can I ask you experts whether, given what can be reasonably foreseen, I should just throw in the towel at this point, and resign myself to the flight being cancelled? If that's the case, I'd be much better off staying home in Cork city. If there are going to be mass cancellations on Monday, anybody got a sense of when official notification might be issued?

I know it's all probabilities, but you guys are much better equipped to estimate them than I am, and I'd really appreciate any informed advice.

I had a post about this yesterday, quite far back though.

Basically I'd put off the decision until tomorrow evening, or even Monday morning. We simply don't know what wind will be like at specific locations yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Atrocious,no reference to the RED ALERT on the RTE lunchtime weather bulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They still have a yellow warning icon on the RTE weather and no mention of the red warning whatsoever! Doesn't inspire confidence for those who hope for the TV weather completely up to date!

I expected at least for it to be mentioned on the TV weather. Plenty of time yet to warn people but still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

So schools in the status red areas so far declared WILL be shut on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Wow. They really skimmed over it all in that forecast!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Not if nobody knows about the warnings!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Hmmmmm..... Both RTE and ME have been caught out by the release of the RED status, they must have pre recorded the forecast, as they've not even mentioned the red, all they have said is "stay in touch", very low key, and completely out of touch with what's now on their web site. Not exactly impressive.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Den Creed

Well the last time there was a red, they were shut, better off if they did, I have an English test Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hmmmmm..... Both RTE and ME have been caught out by the release of the RED status, they must have pre recorded the forecast, as they've not even mentioned the red, all they have said is "stay in touch", very low key, and completely out of touch with what's now on their web site. Not exactly impressive.

That is very bad communication to be fair. Plenty older people rely on the tv forecast. At least there is still over 36 hours to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

stevek93 wrote: »

If you were working for me I'd sack you for calling in sick because of the weather :mad:

Off topic remark. Had to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My brother is supposed to be flying out of Cork (on a plane :pac: ) on Monday. Wonder what will happen with flights..

Advertisement