Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How come boards is not gone Red

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

emeldc wrote: »
    If you were working for me I'd sack you for calling in sick because of the weather :mad:

Off topic remark. Had to be said.

No it didn’t have to to be said!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm erring on the side that a red warning is not really warranted at this stage. I'd have gone amber max so far in the most exposed areas.

Anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

emeldc wrote:
    If you were working for me I'd sack you for calling in sick because of the weather

emeldc wrote:
    Off topic remark. Had to be said.

If productivity counts over your employees wellbeing I'm glad I don't work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

So schools in the status red areas so far declared WILL be shut on Monday

Not necessarily.

Bus Eireann school bus servicrs WON'T run in ateas covered by a red warning.

It's up to the individual schools themselves to decide if they will close or remain open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'm erring on the side that a red warning is not really warranted at this stage. I'd have gone amber max so far in the most exposed areas.

Anyhow...

Yeah was certain it would be amber today with the potential to go to red. Met Eireann are the professionals and have access to a lot more information and I am sure red is not something they would issue lightly. Of course it could change again by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If there was ever a weather event to deserve a red warning surely this is it- and given lots of warning time. Is the world going to end - no. Are we facing widespread destruction - no! But a very intense storm is going to make landfall on Monday. At present the Greater Dublin area looks least exposed so may lessen slightly the coverage of the storm. But I'd be very worried for the south coast - 70-80 knot gusts very likely, locally hitting 85

• Registered Users Posts: 48,234 ✭✭✭✭km79

So schools in the status red areas so far declared WILL be shut on Monday
    Our school was opened during Darwin
    Then sent home during the height of it .........

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Just curious as to why Met Eireann has not included Limerick in the Red warning......seems strange when they have included Cork, Kerry, Galway etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »
    Our school was opened during Darwin
    Then sent home during the height of it .........

Here in Clare the local primary school sent children home once the warning became red at about half 1, and then plenty of people couldn't actually get to the schools due to blocked roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Can ME realistically downgrade from RED to ORANGE?
    Yes... I know they can downgrade but certain processes are triggered by a RED (school buses not running, for example) these processes will hardly be reversed if it downgraded to ORANGE.

Brave step by ME to go straight to red.

Some current evidence the hurricane is now exhibiting Category 3 characteristics. Would be extraordinary if we saw an upgrade at the next advisory.

17LP.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

MODS - Any chance of a new Model Discussion only thread please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

thomasj wrote: »
    If productivity counts over your employees wellbeing I'm glad I don't work for you.

Just like the poster you're missing the point. If his/her wellbeing is the issue then why call in sick.

Anyway, it's a very interesting and informative thread. Thanks to all those posters in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I nearly got caught under a curtainsider last storm , think it was Feb 2014 . So I would advise all truck drivers with curtainsiders in the West to take Monday off .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

emeldc wrote:
    Just like the poster you're missing the point. If his/her wellbeing is the issue then why call in sick.

That point I agree with you but if it's at the stage that people believe they have to call in sick to avoid travelling through a monster storm then there's something seriously wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

That is very bad communication to be fair. Plenty older people rely on the tv forecast. At least there is still over 36 hours to go.

Which is loads of time to be fair. I think if they cover it on the 6pm and 9pm news today, that will be decent notice. The risk has been mentioned a few times this week in online, print and television news.

There's not a whole you can do to prepare for a storm like this and there is no point in scaring the life out of people. The only thing I will do differently is throw a few sandbags on the trampoline and make sure there is nothing loose around the garden.

There is one old bachelor farmer living up the road that I will call into to make sure he as enough turf and supplies in but he has seen it all before.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How come boards is not gone Red

Several possible reasons

The moderators are very likely kind of busy dealing with the massive number of troll posts that are cluttering up the thread. ME issued the red at 12:00, and it didn't appear on line till quite some time later, resulting in RTE being flat footed as a result, and given the Red and Orange status for different parts of the country, I suspect there's a (valid) discussion happening as to the best way to deal with it, with a very real possibility of having several threads (one red, one orange and maybe one general thread for the trolling type posts to get dumped into, but (from experience elsewhere) managing that sort of thread split needs a high level of moderator involvement, which puts pressure on the moderation team to deliver an acceptable response, which may not be possible, depending on who's available, etc.

Moderation can be a thankless task, especially at weekends when a thread like this goes viral, so we all need to take a breath, and let them decide the best approach to this.

We're still over 24 hours out from the start of the event, so it's not (yet) life threatening, even if the potential event does have that possibility in it when it happens.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

More importantly, is Teresa Mannion on stand-by?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Liffey4A wrote: »
    MODS - Any chance of a new Model Discussion only thread please ?

I agree. We really need this.

There will always be a problem when an event happens close to the weekend. All the broadcast media revert to weekend schedules as do ME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Discodog wrote: »
    I agree. We really need this.

There will always be a problem when an event happens close to the weekend. All the broadcast media revert to weekend schedules as do ME.

ME have the same forecaster numbers 7 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Joe Bastardi believes Ex hurricane Ophelia will rival hurricane Debbie.

https://twitter.com/bigjoebastardi/status/919177352499924992

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Recent satellite showing possible intensification for Ophelia

Some talk too of bordering Major Hurricane now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ME have the same forecaster numbers 7 days a week

You can only find the warning on the ME website if you look for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

If people would just cut the crap there would be no need for different threads. FFS grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

OK so Met Eireann have upped the warnings.... but I would be inclined to go with what's on the boards forum. Met E have shown themselves to be a bit slow with this one. Anyway I'm evacuating mother to the sisters house tomorrow. Her house is very exposed by the coast and she is 94.

Great call by people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

i'm Just amazed by the amount of trampolines in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

antodeco wrote: »
    Status red and not s pickle on Rte. I'm so glad all the general public use met.ie. FFS rte, update!

It's the weekend. RTE really only does foreign news at weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

ophelia_56.jpg

Advertisement