Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON

Mean

tempresult_xfc4.gif

Gusts

tempresult_fsm8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Pangea wrote: »
    For us In Donegal, do you think it will anything out of the ordinary?

No. A strong gale but nothing that we don't get several times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Has no one considered the Saharan dust! :)

https://twitter.com/geogabout/status/919170465960259584

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Just wondering what has caused this hurricane to travel east towards us, rather than west as they typically do? Is it due to where it first formed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

WRF- NMM

Gusts

tempresult_ivr6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Just curious as to why Met Eireann has not included Limerick in the Red warning......seems strange when they have included Cork, Kerry, Galway etc..

I agree. Looking at the latest estimated track - the storm looks like co Limerick will experience high wind speeds similar to that previously estimated for Clare / Kerry / Cork.

The geography if the county doesn't help either with little or no protection from South westerly winds. The open esturary of the river Shannon running effectively north county Kerry all the way to Clare coupled with the relatively flat geophysical landscape in the West of the county.

The east of the county also has a major mountain range which tends to exacerbate storm conditions and can increase local wind speeds. This area received serious damage during Storm Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That hurricane looks very very well-developed for a Cat 2 on the latest images... If estimates put it at over 100kt wind speeds, that has to warrant Cat 3 classification (major hurricane)?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hamlet's Ophelia drowned herself, let's hope this Ophelia will meet its watery death before it reaches Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The main rain on the western part of the storm. Ireland will be in the main area for the strongest winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

NHC's update at 4pm is going to be very interesting.

They are the experts at hurricanes. Nearly wish they'd send over a Poseidon to Portugal to get the same level of analysis as they would for a westbound one...because that APERGE shows 190km/h gusts along the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

RobertKK wrote: »

The main rain on the western part of the storm. Ireland will be in the main area for the strongest winds.

How will Kilkenny fair in this Robert ?

Wow !

V2j35yS.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,706 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wow !

V2j35yS.jpg?1

Definitely Cat 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jesus, this has to downgrade - still have to wait until tomorrow isn’t it, to be in reliable timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

With the Hurricane becoming stronger than expected perhaps the track will move west again as it aprroaches Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I thought that this would be Sunday night into Monday but now seems to be Monday late afternoon. Based on the current estimates when would peak winds arrive in Galway ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Just curious as to why Met Eireann has not included Limerick in the Red warning......seems strange when they have included Cork, Kerry, Galway etc..

Presumably because we don't have any direct coastal areas? I'm sure parts of Limerick will fare identically or worse to parts of counties with red alerts (I live about 700 meters from the Clare border and high up hill of it so will probably be hit as hard if not harder than the parts of Clare near me). But the more coastal regions of those counties are possibly at risk of worse damage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Anyone who suggests this will just be another windy day are in for a shock. This is looking like a once in a lifetime event. Its a stronger storm than Debbie in 1961.Be ready and prepared and hopefully it wont be as bad as its looking now.

I have a live Youtube stream set up for the event here in Waterford City. You can also check live data on my website www.waterfordweather.com

• Advertisement

Definitely Cat 3.

Looks Close.

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale
    Category Sustained Winds
    1 74-95 mph 64-82 kt 119-153 km/h
    2 96-110 mph 83-95 kt 154-177 km/h
    3 (major) 111-129 mph 96-112 kt 178-208 km/h
    4 (major) 130-156 mph 113-136 kt 209-251 km/h

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/919194553562775552

RqrAkvK.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Concerned that Red has only been issued for 4 counties in the SW/W (of course likely 11am Monday).
    the 'MaxGust' on two models show the SE&E (population dense) getting a fair whack from the Lady round about 4pm Monday.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-14_at_14.46.57.png

Dare even say it could more of an Irish Sea storm than an Atlantic Coast?

The UKMO have just a 'yellow' wind warning for Monday (Wales/NI/Scot), will it be another 'Fish' forecast?
    Either the models are (both) wrong, or the forecasters...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

For those that have a good knowledge, at the moment what's this looking like for West limerick /north kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I'm starting to feel nervous about this,I've already told the kids that they're not going to school and they think I'm losing it but I'm really getting a bad feeling about it...hopefully it won't be as bad as its looking at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Anyone who suggests this will just be another windy day are in for a shock. This is looking like a once in a lifetime event. Its a stronger storm than Debbie in 1961.Be ready and prepared and hopefully it wont be as bad as its looking now.

I have a live Youtube stream set up for the event here in Waterford City. You can also check live data on my website www.waterfordweather.com

i wonder how the bunting flags will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just watching the repeat of the lunchtime weather, you'd hardly guess the windapocalypse was on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

WRF- NMM

Gusts

This shows a very different scenario to Met's red warning, Mayo and Galway not so affected at all in this model

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

For anyone not aware of the excellent live wind map, here's the link for that

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-30.28,41.46,649

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Might be hard to judge the windspeed as the trees are in the distance. Maybe put some wheelie bins of different weight :)

Advertisement