Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

RTE not even mentioning it in the news at 9 headlines.

They mentioned it 2nd, it was 1st on the 6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

dacogawa wrote: »

So they've downgraded the storm! :pac:

Should be first regardless of crappy party politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

dacogawa wrote: »

I can’t believe the Fianna Fáil conference came ahead? And that it is only referencing the red warning to the west, no mention of the orange warning for the rest of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

About 60 seconds on RTE News at 9 - madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Ten Pin wrote: »
    To be fair it's a photo finish for which does most damage

Ah no, the storm isn't going to do as much lasting damage as those shower :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Dont know why there saying the west...the south and east look worse affected than parts of the west on some of the latest charts...although everywhere is at risk i suppose with track still uncertain..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

It's times like this i wish we had a well resourced national news service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

So they've downgraded the storm! :pac:

Should be first regardless of crappy party politics.

I'm quite sure it will be back in No.1 spot for all the broadcasts tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

An update from the BBC weather website at 18.00 http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/41622053

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Complete disregard of the rest of the country with that story. Waterford Cork and Wexford staring a historical storm in the face and the counties weren't even mentioned.

In saying that I do suspect the story will get a lot more attention tomorrow after they have the emergency meeting they mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It's times like this i wish we had a well resourced national news service.

There's probably loads of people who will wake up on Monday morning in "blissful ignorance" about what is bearing down on this island.

RTÉ need to up their game tomorrow otherwise I fear for the consequences.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Current Active Viewers.
    Nice :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hysteria is not the solution here. Anyone paying attention now will also be paying attention tomorrow when the situation becomes more clear. If there is uncertainty still there is no point in scaring people and causing unnecessary trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We will know a lot more from the charts tomorrow.

Still one would expect that the national broadcaster would at least warn of possible power cuts and for people to stock up on emergency supplies like torches and batteries and water.

It doesn't have to be an apocalyptic message, but forewarned is forearmed. Lots of people do not use SM or the internet, but they watch TV and listen to the radio.

Anyway, by the time the red warnings go out it will more than likely be 9pm on Sunday night. Great, all supermarkets open and everyone working hard in the Council offices sorting it all out at that time!

I suppose they are hoping it will veer West.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I posted this in the other thread but I think it should be here also,a caravan park in the UK in the aftermath of the 1987 storm.Ophelia looking stronger than that storm,I for one wouldn't like to be in one come Monday.

45412D4700000578-0-image-m-24_1507967111315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Any idea when the alerts could be upgraded from Orange to Red for other counties??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm shocked at the blase nature of coverage on the news. Possibly the worst storm to hit the country in living memory and we get a few charts and oh we will wait and see type attitude. A joke

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

We will know a lot more from the charts tomorrow.

Still one would expect that the national broadcaster would at least warn of possible power cuts and for people to stock up on emergency supplies like torches and batteries and water.

It doesn't have to be an apocalyptic message, but forewarned is forearmed. Lots of people do not use SM or the internet, but they watch TV and listen to the radio.

Anyway, by the time the red warnings go out it will more than likely be 9pm on Sunday night. Great, all supermarkets open and everyone working hard in the Council offices sorting it all out at that time!

I suppose they are hoping it will veer West.

There are red warnings out since 1pm today?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm shocked at the blase nature of coverage on the news. Possibly the worst storm to hit the country in living memory and we get a few charts and oh we will wait and see type attitude. A joke

www.waterfordweather.com

Having looked at American news channels and their coverage of impending storms it puts our National Public Service:rolleyes: Broadcaster to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Complete disregard of the rest of the country with that story. Waterford Cork and Wexford staring a historical storm in the face and the counties weren't even mentioned.

Could be wrong but something seems seriously amiss here. According to a couple of sources the SE could get some of the worst Gust speeds circa 1600hrs Mon, yet Red warnings are only for 4 counties in the West?

Screen_Shot_2017-10-14_at_21.21.55.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

A dead squid

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

430580.png

Cork city looks ****ed in that pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Having looked at American news channels and their coverage of impending storms it puts our National Public Service:rolleyes: Broadcaster to shame.

Look out your window. That's as useful as the neverending rolling news in the US in the lead up to the storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The Met have handled this scenario quite well so far.
    However excluding the likes of Waterford, Limerick from the red alert is quite appalling.
    They need to review their alert this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Back in 2014 Storm Christine I remember Tramore prom had signs up saying road flooded, cliff rescue, etc were all out patrolling trying to keep people safe. There was a steady stream of people driving down the prom, some stalling after getting soaked and the poor rescue guys ended up pushing the cars out of the way.
    Then the woman with the dog that got caught by the wave and got knocked over. When will people learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

fantastic, just fantastic :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Joanna on the weather now.... a tad nervous.... "those counties in the red alert could change in the next 24 hours".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are red warnings out since 1pm today?

Not on the RTE website, only a mention of school buses being cancelled :rolleyes:

Met Eireann feeds into RTE. Sorry I wasn't watching TV news there, so maybe they did mention the red alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Wahey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Wow. I rarely watch the tv these days but she is not-the greatest weather presenter. She looks really nervous

Advertisement