Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

western and southwest coasts still listed as red. Orange for the rest. Atl east they said that that could change as the hours pass. Met will give updated info tomorrow ref rain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Could be wrong but something seems wrong here. According to a couple of sources the SE could get some of the worst Gust speeds circa 1600hrs Mon, yet Red warnings are only for 4 counties in the West?

Screen_Shot_2017-10-14_at_21.21.55.png

I'd stay away from any east coast beaches, easy to get sideswiped by southerly running swells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Teresa Mannion must be hopeing she'll get this big gig. I wouln'd like to be in her wellies come Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Look out your window. That's as useful as the neverending rolling news in the US in the lead up to the storms.

Theresa Mannion is in my garden.:eek:

At least the US channels give more than a minutes token coverage and advise people on how to prepare for bad weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Complete disregard of the rest of the country with that story. Waterford Cork and Wexford staring a historical storm in the face and the counties weren't even mentioned.

In saying that I do suspect the story will get a lot more attention tomorrow after they have the emergency meeting they mentioned.
    Mindful of Mod’s warning about keeping on topic but it’s always the same with RTE - unless it’s a Dublin event it gets relegated. I’m not a fan of local radio but when this storm kicks off it’s my local station I’ll be tuning in to for updates and information etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Strong winds coming our way. strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I posted this in the other thread but I think it should be here also,a caravan park in the UK in the aftermath of the 1987 storm.Ophelia looking stronger than that storm,I for one wouldn't like to be in one come Monday.

45412D4700000578-0-image-m-24_1507967111315.jpg

I have a mobile on a site on Dingle Penninsula. It survived Darwin in 2014. Not so sure this time......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Look out your window. That's as useful as the neverending rolling news in the US in the lead up to the storms.

Yeah do we really need a reporter standing on the coast of Kerry somewhere telling us the same thing hour by hour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

she did a chart at the end of that forecast of Comparable events from Debbie in 1961 and Darwin in 2014. that surely will wake a few people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

'Something to look forward to on Monday'~ Joanna Donnelly 2017 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Met have handled this scenario quite well so far.
    However excluding the likes of Waterford, Limerick from the red alert is quite appalling.
    They need to review their alert this evening

Agree, either some sources are completely wrong or they're taking a 'defacto position' with Atlantic storms by focusing on the SW. But this isn't a regular event.

4pm looks like mayhem for the more densely populated Eastern areas on some recent charts.

The UK Met have only Yellow issued for the Irish Sea, looks a bit 'Fishy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

Joanna on the weather now.... a tad nervous.... "those counties in the red alert could change in the next 24 hours".

Nervous, she is bloody woeful on delivery of what could be a seismic event. I do wonder what Met Eireann are at sometimes, the quality of delivery varies so much from presenter to presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

"We've got something to look forward to"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Cushtie wrote: »
    I have a mobile on a site on Dingle Penninsula. It survived Darwin in 2014. Not so sure this time......

We've got something to look forward on Monday says she, like Santa is coming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Weather on RTE finished with the line " we have got something to look forward to on Monday" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

“ we have something to look forward to on Monday”

She’s obviously one of us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Excellent forecast just there, clear and concise and spelling out the dangers without any hysteria, will hopefully put to bed all the tiresome arguing here though I doubt it somehow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Darwin in 2014
    Except there was no such storm, that name was invented by a few lads in the English tabloids.

Except there was no such storm, that name was invented by a few lads in the English tabloids.

I wonder how she would have referred to it otherwise,i guess the names help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Nervous, she is bloody woeful on delivery of what could be a seismic event. I do wonder what Met Eireann are at sometimes, the quality of delivery varies so much from presenter to presenter
    She is usually good but she has been nervous as hell all day. Not a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She's fine when she's written the script and learnt it fully but if it's breaking news so to speak then she's all over the shop.

The forecast itself felt inaccurate and vague in it's representation of the now likely track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Wow. I rarely watch the tv these days but she is not-the greatest weather presenter. She looks really nervous

She is a fairly new weather presenter so is probably nervous of messing up the most important forecast in years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

what a wally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nairb70s

Wave heights of 10.2m predicted on south coast at 16:00 on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭munster87

what a wally :)

Where?

Got a feeling now sadly that all the fun and games will be pushed more east,feel that Mayo will be downgraded to orange.some of those charts show very little impact in western coastal extremities of Mayo.

Disappointing if so,IV followed this religiously since Wednesday.something IV noticed over the years,whenever we do get severe wind events in Ireland it's usually the south and east that get slammed in the end.Normally a glancing blow in south Mayo before the storms deepen and hit Sligo and Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Out of curiosity is there many tower cranes up around the South coast areas

There is one about 80 metres high at the Waterford University Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Nairb70s wrote: »
    Wave heights of 10.2m predicted on south coast at 16:00 on Monday.

I live in Cobh. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

jackboy wrote: »
    She is usually good but she has been nervous as hell all day. Not a good sign.

I don't watch the weather normaly and I'm no weather expert a lurker here and poster during the "fun" times

I got the impression she just is being careful what she says as the just don't have a clue what will happen the have an idea but that may change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    They are mean speeds, so wily enough for a while. Love how the 'eye' looks to go right over my area, killing any potential for anything interesting. :mad:
    marno21 wrote: »
    I could see a few cranes up in Tralee today from the N21 bypass roundabout!!

There's a crane up on a hilltop between Ballydesmond and Castleisland for wind turbine installation - could be an interesting one
    There's a thing what are the wind turbines in the country rated to withstand

Advertisement