Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I know it’s for Monday? I also know that models roll out overnight and I’m wondering what times so I can check them since I’ll likely be awake anyways. I knew all the times way back in the big freeze but I’ve forgotten

I would say around 8am would be a good time in the morning. MT will have his analysis of the overnight models in his forecast. However from tomorrow evening in it will be a nowcast as no one is fully sure on the exact path or strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

star gazer wrote: »
    50 Knot:
    204130.png

Forgive my ignorance, but that image appears to show Ophelia heading more to the west, and not as much to the south-east as I have seen in other models, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

adox wrote: »
    Weather on RTE finished with the line " we have got something to look forward to on Monday" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

sword1 wrote: »
    It's for Monday, hopefully it will be downgraded tomorrow

I know it’s for Monday? I also know that models roll out overnight and I’m wondering what times so I can check them since I’ll likely be awake anyways. I knew all the times way back in the big freeze but I’ve forgotten
    The NOAA ones are every six hours so 4AM, 10AM, 4PM, 10PM for those.
    Met Eireann ones are usually 0600, 1200, 1800, 0000 I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Updated NOAA
    205031.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Latest NHC update. Of specific note comparison between predictions 6 hrs ago and now:

1500UTC
    INIT 14/1500Z 34.8N 26.6W 100 KT 115 MPH
    12H 15/0000Z 36.5N 23.0W 95 KT 110 MPH
    24H 15/1200Z 40.5N 18.0W 90 KT 105 MPH
    36H 16/0000Z 46.5N 14.0W 85 KT 100 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    48H 16/1200Z 51.5N 11.0W 75 KT 85 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    72H 17/1200Z 59.0N 6.0W 40 KT 45 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    96H 18/1200Z...DISSIPATED

2100UTC
    INIT 14/2100Z 35.9N 23.7W 100 KT 115 MPH
    12H 15/0600Z 38.0N 20.0W 95 KT 110 MPH
    24H 15/1800Z 42.8N 15.3W 85 KT 100 MPH
    36H 16/0600Z 48.8N 12.3W 75 KT 85 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    48H 16/1800Z 54.0N 9.3W 60 KT 70 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    72H 17/1800Z 59.5N 3.5W 40 KT 45 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    96H 18/1800Z...DISSIPATED

Essentially, they expect it to become extratropical around the same time, and still hit 53N at around 65kt - Category 1 force - but keep going for longer afterwards before dissipating.

Note the size of the cone is much narrower, so much less uncertain. This doesn't seem to be any further west, even though it might look that way, because the cone only shows the position of the centre and not the size of the storm, as they explain.

205031_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

spookwoman wrote: »
    Updated NOAA
    205031.png

Quite a shift to the east??

Are any other posters going googley eyed with charts?:)

I mean that in a good way. Thanks to everyone for the wonderful contributions.

Re. rte weather forecasts. It's very difficult to hit the right note. You don't want to cause panic, but you are trying to be professional and serious. Joanna was fine. Her comment about looking forward to Monday was typically her! But she got the serious parts in with the comparisons to Darwin and Debbie.

And as we all know by now it's a fluid situation and may end up a bit of a now cast.

nagdefy wrote: »

Re. rte weather forecasts. It's very difficult to hit the right note. You don't want to cause panic, but you are trying to be professional and serious. Joanna was fine. Her comment about looking forward to Monday was typically her! But she got the serious parts in with the comparisons to Darwin and Debbie.

And as we all know by now it's a fluid situation and may end up a bit of a now cast.

Centreline on NHC @ 21Z vs 15Z looks about 10km further east. Very marginal.
    Add that to the fact that the storm is still a Cat 3, and expected to last longer, to my mind says upgrade. But as I've mentioned before in the thread MT, Gaoth etc would be hundreds of times more knowledgeable about the mechanics of it where I'm only really comparing charts as opposed to analysing them.

b431445a931749bf10a566214a1428e2.png

Looking at the forecast on https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.0;-5.9;5&l=wind using the ICON and GFS models they both seem to show the south east and east getting hit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

The charts in #1385 and #1388 seem to be the same only compleatly different as regards the position of the worst winds. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Not quite - you need to understand what those wind probability charts represent. Close to the current position of the hurricane, they literally represent how likely those areas are to receive particular strengths of winds.

However, the further you get along the predicted track of the storm (ie. further into the future), the probabilities change not just because areas are less likely to get hit by particular strength winds, but also because the likelihood of the forecast being correct is less certain.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Centreline on NHC @ 21Z vs 15Z looks about 10km further east. Very marginal.
    Add that to the fact that the storm is still a Cat 3, and expected to last longer, to my mind says upgrade. But as I've mentioned before in the thread MT, Gaoth etc would be hundreds of times more knowledgeable about the mechanics of it where I'm only really comparing charts as opposed to analysing them.

Cheers sdanseo. Your playing a blinder yourself. Excellent posts. I'm ok for the historical events but not too great on the forecasting front;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Agree with that. She usually knows her stuff. She usually comes across no more than the usual suspects on here as a total weather nerd. She looked like she was bursting to tell everyone what may/might/probably will happen and would only love to be showing the general public of the ifs and buts of what is LIKELY to happen. She looked nervous.....and rightly so....as she knows the severity of the upcoming situation and she also knows that she has to act 100% professional on the national airways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

Odds on this being a complete flop and not half as bad as we're expecting?
    Can't say I'm too worried yet. Will make up my mind Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Castlebar in the eye at 2 P.M. on Monday looks about right, yeah?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Not quite - you need to understand what those wind probability charts represent. Close to the current position of the hurricane, they literally represent how likely those areas are to receive particular strengths of winds.

However, the further you get along the predicted track of the storm (ie. further into the future), the probabilities change not just because areas are less likely to get hit by particular strength winds, but also because the likelihood of the forecast being correct is less certain.

Cheers MJ just after realising that now. It's probability of hitting not a forecasted track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looking forward to readings from Sherkin Island and Roches Point. Also, could have anomalously high Föhn readings from Valentia. Later on, Mace Head and Belmullet will be interesting.

Do you mean in terms of temperature readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

emeldc wrote: »
    The charts in #1385 and #1388 seem to be the same only compleatly different as regards the position of the worst winds. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong :confused:

You are (sorry!) - pay attention to the force of the winds that is listed in the title of the charts, one is showing the probabilities for 34+ knots winds, and the other for 50+ knot winds. You can check out all 3 wind speed probabilities charts (the third is for 64+ knot winds) here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/205031.shtml?tswind120#contents

Agree with that. She usually knows her stuff. She usually comes across no more than the usual suspects on here as a total weather nerd. She looked like she was bursting to tell everyone what may/might/probably will happen and would only love to be showing the general public of the ifs and buts of what is LIKELY to happen. She looked nervous.....and rightly so....as she knows the severity of the upcoming situation and she also knows that she has to act 100% professional on the national airways.

Agree. It's very easy be critical. She has to adjust from conversation with meteorologist colleagues to addressing a nation just versed in the basics. What to say, what to withhold and then when you're live stuff can come out unintentionally as any of us who ever spoke in public know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

MT's update tomorrow will either terrify us, or keep us calm.

NASlad wrote: »
    Odds on this being a complete flop and not half as bad as we're expecting?
    Can't say I'm too worried yet. Will make up my mind Sunday night.

We're great in Ireland for "ah, it'll be grand" so I don't blame you for seeing it like that.

But when you're looking at a chart produced by the US National Hurricane Center, probably the Gold Standard for this type of thing (although there's a huge side-conversation there about after it goes extra-tropical, UKMO having a lot more experience than NHC as usually they are concentrating on tropical), which gives a 90-100% probability of tropical-storm force sustained winds covering half the island in less than 48hrs....no, I don't think it'll be a "flop". Could well be less severe than we think. Could well be more severe. But it won't be a non-event.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Compared with Feb 12th 2014 we had gusts around Limerick around 120kmh initially from South to South West and verring West....am I right in saying that this one on Monday has wind South to South West and not veering West or does it really make any difference. Just looking at what's around our house (tree wise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

having lived most of my life in the rather warm part of the world i dont know what to expect or do in terms of preparation. How bad is this going to hit Dublin ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thanks a million to everyone who is contributing their time and effort into breaking it down for the many of us who may not frequent the board. I really want it to be Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sdanseo wrote: »
    Latest NHC update. Of specific note comparison between predictions 6 hrs ago and now:

1500UTC

2100UTC

Essentially, they expect it to become extratropical around the same time, and still hit 53N at around 65kt - Category 1 force - but keep going for longer afterwards before dissipating.

Note the size of the cone is much narrower, so much less uncertain. This doesn't seem to be any further west, even though it might look that way, because the cone only shows the position of the centre and not the size of the storm, as they explain.

205031_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Also those charts are Mercator projection, so areas further north appear stretched out and larger than they are on the globe. So that cone of error Ireland is not quite as wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

spookwoman wrote: »
    Looking at the forecast on https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.0;-5.9;5&l=wind using the ICON and GFS models they both seem to show the south east and east getting hit

Are we talking oiche na ghaoithe proportions now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

But the anemometer there is I think over 100 metres above the sea so really not of any use.

Will still be interesting what sort of readings we get from it, plenty of areas in Cork and Kerry above 100m so while not an official reading it'll still give an idea of what people might experience.

A shame we don't have a station somewhere in the Kerry mountains like they have in the Cairngorms in Scotland, would be quite an experience on top of Carrauntoohil on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

MJohnston wrote: »
    You are (sorry!) - pay attention to the force of the winds that is listed in the title of the charts, one is showing the probabilities for 34+ knots winds, and the other for 50+ knot winds. You can check out all 3 wind speed probabilities charts (the third is for 64+ knot winds) here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/205031.shtml?tswind120#contents

Ah right, get ya now. Complete noob at this sh1t. Thanks :)

Advertisement