Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

s.m wrote: »
    Everyone keeps on about a hurricane hitting this country but there's never been any record of one affecting our lovely land. Though mind you the records do only go back to late 1961 after the original building holding the records mysteriously blew away.

On a more serious note how will Donegal fair in this situation ?

Classic! :D:D:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Wind building in Ennis!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

maiden wrote: »
    Wind building in Ennis!

This is not caused by Ophelia. Nothing wind-wise will be caused by Ophelia until early Monday morning. There will actually be a very calm spell late Sunday too, right before she hits.

I do worry that a lot of people will only have been consuming the news about Ophelia at a glance, will hear the blustery conditions tonight, think that was it all over, and get caught out on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is not caused by Ophelia. Nothing wind-wise will be caused by Ophelia until early Monday morning. There will actually be a very calm spell late Sunday too, right before she hits.

I do worry that a lot of people will only have been consuming the news about Ophelia at a glance, will hear the blustery conditions tonight, think that was it all over, and get caught out on Monday.

Social media is awash with complacency about this potential event. So much smart arse bravado going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭pauldry

Funny (not) to see a hurricane rolling up towards Ireland

This is what man has done to the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭compsys

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Social media is awash with complacency about this potential event. So much smart arse bravado going on.

I wouldn’t call it being smart arsed.

So many weather events get hyphed up beyond belief by the media nowadays (and in here it’s ten times worse with the snow “event” threads) that people have become a bit jaded about “warnings”.

The OTT decision last year to start naming every large depression that passed over the country was silly and hasn’t helped in my opinion. Storm Aileen anyone?

The entire system could yet pass us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

pauldry wrote: »
    Funny (not) to see a hurricane rolling up towards Ireland

This is what man has done to the atmosphere

What did man do in 1839 - the night of the big wind???

The last hurricane to hit Ireland was 1987, (30 yrs ago) before that was 1961 (26 yrs before that). If anything, these hurricanes are becoming further apart!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Danno wrote: »
    What did man do in 1839 - the night of the big wind???

The last hurricane to hit Ireland was 1987, (30 yrs ago) before that was 1961 (26 yrs before that). If anything, these hurricanes are becoming further apart!!!

1987 wasn't a hurricane, it was an extraordinarily strong European windstorm/extratropical cyclone. You can read about tho difference between the two types of storms here: https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/blast-from-the-past-hurricane-debbie-1961/

In 1986 we were hit by the remnants of hurricane Charley, but that storm brought serious flood rather than wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

I agree, I feel for alot of people it's a case of the boy who cried wolf.

The entire system could pass us but personally I can't see there being zero impacts at this stage...but then again these things can change on a moments notice

compsys wrote: »
    I wouldn’t call it being smart arsed.

So many weather events get hyphed up beyond belief by the media nowadays (and in here it’s ten times worse with the snow “event” threads) that people have become a bit jaded about “warnings”.

The OTT decision last year to start naming every large depression that passed over the country was silly and hasn’t helped in my opinion. Storm Aileen anyone?

The entire system could yet pass us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Because Limerick has a fairly small coastline in relation to the others?

Cork - 1118 km
    Galway and Kerry - about 680 km

Limerick's coastline is 95 km

Co Limerick was left out of the Red Alert for Storm Darwin and was only updated to Red as the storm was in force. A mistake that Met Eireann later acknowledged.

The problem with east Limerick is that it is sandwiched between North Kerry and Clare. The coastline is very flat with low lying topography coupled with the Shannon estuary effectively facilitates an open area over which high winds are unimpeded.

East limerick also borders Co Cork and has a major mountain range which frequently experiences extreme South westerly winds. This area suffered extensive damage during the storm of 2014...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

511 wrote: »
    1987 wasn't a hurricane, it was an extraordinarily strong European windstorm/extratropical cyclone. You can read about tho difference between the two types of storms here: https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/blast-from-the-past-hurricane-debbie-1961/

In 1986 we were hit by the remnants of hurricane Charley, but that storm brought serious flood rather than wind.

Talking of hurricane Charley
    See The following archival footage ...

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/0826/470307-one-of-the-worst-hurricanes-in-living-memory/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,634 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This storm is far more powerful than either Debbie or Charley ever were. Debbie never made it past Cat 1 beyond the tropics.

This is Category 3 right now.

Whilst caution and sense are paramount people do need to be aware of what is coming as well. This is not Debbie. Right now, this is considerably worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Lightning showing up and eye is still well defined
    szduZ73.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭pauldry

Some parts of Munster will see a lot of damage Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I'm living in west clare right by coast working there too.

Is this thing being overated or is it actually something to be worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

New advisory from National Hurricane Center

Ophelia remains a Category 3 hurricane with signs that it will soon begin extra tropical transition.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT2+shtml/150240.shtml

ICON 00z - Destructive for southwest

icon-0-36.png?15-00

icon-0-39.png?15-00

If close the country is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Why wasnt there warnings like this on the news? The amount of people the past few days saying "musha tis only abitta wind!"

In reply to robertkks post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I'm living in west clare right by coast working there too.

Is this thing being overated or is it actually something to be worried about?

You've obviously read none of the last few pages!!

latest IR from SAT24 seems to be getting bigger

bRT0j5D.png

GFS 00z

gfs-0-36.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

How did the canaries/azores/madeira fare?

Getting Bigger? 2.40 and 4.35
    Ls6IO0V.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Notice the h is now at ireland, track on galway

gally74 wrote: »
    Notice the h is now at ireland, track on galway
    Track

gally74 wrote: »
    Track

A

SUMMARY OF 500 PM AST...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...35.9N 23.7W
    ABOUT 235 MI...375 KM SE OF THE AZORES
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 55 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...960 MB...28.35 INCHES

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM AST...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...37.3N 21.5W
    ABOUT 305 MI...490 KM E OF THE AZORES
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 55 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...960 MB...28.35 INCHES

Nothing Changed

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from the
    center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 125 miles
    (205 km).
    The wind field of Ophelia is forecast to expand
    substantially and wind and rain effects in Ireland and the UK are
    expected to reach the coast well before the arrival of the center.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 960 mb (28.35 inches).

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from the
    center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 150 miles
    (240 km).

The estimated minimum central pressure is 960 mb (28.35 inches).

Size has increased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

All of the guidance so far seems to be holding at the earlier intensity, with minor changes. The consensus is for a grazing landfall from Galway Bay (possibly inland in Clare) to north central Mayo, but some guidance is 30-50 miles either side of that.

My view is that the level 3 or red warning should apply to Kerry, Cork, Clare, east half Galway, Limerick, south Tipps, Waterford, Kilkenny and Carlow. (Wexford, Laois, Kildare, Offaly, Roscommon could have some level 3 in most exposed locations).

Level 2 or orange should apply to all other counties although level 1 might be about it for a few places in northwest Mayo and east Ulster.

As it's Sunday I will probably issue my forecast a few minutes later than ECM but unless it has something very unexpected I will be continuing on with earlier themes.

Advertisement