Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I have a good weather app called weather pro.

I did a search* for that app and got a few results which one have you?!

WeatherPro (free)
    WeatherPro (€2.99)
    Weather Pro (€4.59)
    The Weather Pro (€4.19)
    The Weather - Pro (€4.99)

*Android search

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure who did the Radio 1 forecast at 7.55?

It was one of the best forecasts I ever heard delivered by ME (on radio or TV).

Explained the volatility of the situation, the transformation of hurricane to extra tropical storm and explained that very small movements of the track of the storm will have big implications for some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I did a search* for that app and got a few results which one have you?!

WeatherPro (free)
    WeatherPro (€2.99)
    Weather Pro (€4.59)
    The Weather Pro (€4.19)
    The Weather - Pro (€4.99)

*Android search

I think I paid 5 euro before on apple.

It's just called WeatherPro on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

c6ux3HA.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DOCARCH wrote: »

Explained the volatility of the situation, the transformation of hurricane to extra tropical storm and explained that very small movements of the track of the storm will have big implications for some areas.

A very borderline red situation for a lot of counties. I wonder when they will update their warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

venusdoom wrote: »
    Following this post for the last few days. Thank you so much for all the contributions. Prepared here in Donegal, but we may escape the worst. I don't know if this is related to what's to come, but we have a heavy purple sky right now. We are up early every morning and never seen such hue in the clouds.

Had the same sky here too. Leitrim area. Gone now. I can't imagine they are related. Still 24h out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭fits

DOCARCH wrote: »

It was Liz Walsh I think. Agree it was a good forecast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

fits wrote: »
    It was Liz Walsh I think. Agree it was a good forecast.

Yip....just could not think of her name off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So odd to see the likes of cnn and likes reporting on this especially after being glued to threads and tv on the likes of Irma and now we have our very own bearing down on us ( or up to us ).
    Went out yesterday to get a couple of lamps and the amount of people taking this with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Is there any chance that Ophelia could just drive on towards us and only drop to a cat 1 hurricane and hit with those wind speeds? It seems to be "going against the grain" so to speak since it formed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I find it odd the nation is not on more of an alert given the devastation the tail of Gert hit Donegal & Derry with. Funny how people think.

Appreciate the updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Update from Ryan Maue earlier this morning

https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/919407554073124864

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

From reading the posts on here it looks like Donegal will not be hit by anything more than a gale. And that suits me fine. I hope everyone else down on the south coast is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest wind analysis, showing the expansion of the wind field. Max winds 86 knots.

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710150600_SWHR.GIF

06Z early track guidance. Majority fairly tightly clustered. Still as you were.

aal17_2017101506_track_early.png

GEFS box plot

aal17_2017101500_eps_track_gefs_boxplot_late.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    From reading the posts on here it looks like Donegal will not be hit by anything more than a gale. And that suits me fine. I hope everyone else down on the south coast is OK.

From my limited knowledge of reading charts, I thought south Donegal is in the eye of the storm?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Latest wind analysis, showing the expansion of the wind field. Max winds 86 knots.

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710150600_SWHR.GIF

06Z early track guidance. Majority fairly tightly clustered. Still as you were.

aal17_2017101506_track_early.png

GEFS box plot

aal17_2017101500_eps_track_gefs_boxplot_late.png

One of those tracks predicts it driving in over Spain and France or am I misunderstanding? I take it that's seen as unlikely.

Note there is a dedicated thread for flight cancellations in the Aviation & Aircraft forum, so that would be the place to check.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057797630/1/#post104972259

In the meantime, Cork's TAF (valid up to 7 am tomorrow) shows easterly winds starting to increase from 4 am, but only 20, gusting 30 knots at that stage. The next 24-hr TAF will be issued before midday.

TAF:
    TAF EICK 150500Z 1506/1606 18014KT 9999 BKN008 BKN015
    BECMG 1507/1510 3000 BR -RADZ BKN003
    TEMPO 1510/1603 0200 FG -DZ BKN001
    BECMG 1518/1520 01005KT
    --- Following start after midnight local time ---
    BECMG 1603/1606 07020G30KT 9999 NSW SCT025

Mickeroo wrote: »
    One of those tracks predicts it driving in over Spain and France or am I misunderstanding? I take it that's seen as unlikely.

Just an outlier. It was out on the pints last night.

From my limited knowledge of reading charts, I thought south Donegal is in the eye of the storm?

The severe winds are to the south of the eye

When are Met reann likely to update the warnings on this or when are RTgoing to start telling people to prepare just in case..
    It odd to be getting news pop ups on my phone from cnn and various apps warning of huge wind damage if this does hit us..
    Surely at this stage it’s time to be telling people to take precautions even if it does seem premature.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just an outlier. It was out on the pints last night.

So that's why it's so unpredictable :pac:

harr wrote: »
    When are Met reann likely to update the warnings on this or when are RTgoing to start telling people to prepare just in case..
    It odd to be getting news pop ups on my phone from cnn and various apps warning of huge wind damage if this does hit us..
    Surely at this stage it’s time to be telling people to take precautions even if it does seem premature.

Everyone is assuming Met Eireann will update warnings and expand the areas under a red alert. Maybe there is no need for them to do so. This event may not even happen.... as in it may be a storm but nothing out if the ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

All the knowledgeable posters in this thread must be catching up on their sleep because there is a few wishy washy ones sneaking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Everyone is assuming Met Eireann will update warnings and expand the areas under a red alert. Maybe there is no need for them to do so. This event may not even happen.... as in it may be a storm but nothing out if the ordinary?

Probably Dropping certain counties from the red warning,like Mayo and Galway,looks more like a level yellow warning for Mayo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Met Eireann have stated themselves that they are likely to update the warnings later this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

All the knowledgeable posters in this thread must be catching up on their sleep because there is a few wishy washy ones sneaking in.

Yeah think all the boardsie weather gurus are catching up on sleep so the can stay up tonight

I no the posters I trust on here they are great

But surely that’s the problem nobody knows at this stage...no point in telling people it may not happen and suddenly it doesn’t weaken or change track and slams into us.
    Is it not better to have people prepared instead of panicking people late tonight or tomorrow.
    Nobody can tell at this stage so why leave it to chance and also the powers to be only having an emergency meeting the day before is another stupid decision ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

harr wrote: »

They are holding of so the can give people correct information which I think is reasonable I'm living in Wexford we have not got a red warning but from what has been said from met eireann alone I no it's coming I no I should prepare for stong winds and uv done that I don't need a red warning to that

I've work tomorrow is a 12 hour shift which evolves driving and being out doors happy day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Mickeroo wrote: »

I can see 3 tracks that are veering off over northern Spain, I wonder what the thinking is on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Looking at the ECMWF models , it looks like the south east will get the highest winds , with the west getting the higest rainfall.models usually underpredict wind strength imho

( GFS broadly agreeing , but more west direction to the wind ) high winds along south Leinster cost , but west orientation would be less damaging )

Advertisement