Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Sky News giving very good coverage of the progress of Ophelia, and also emphasising suitable warnings of what's coming our way.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I am very excited and nervous at the same time for this event.

Interesting days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Update from Met Eireann
    RED & ORANGE STATUS WARNINGS IN EFFECT. Stormy tomorrow Monday as Ex-Hurricane Ophelia moves up over the country. Gale to storm force southerly winds will occur with severe and damaging gusts - winds strongest along southern counties with the risk of storm surge here, along with very high seas. Structural damage is possible anywhere. Rain will be widespread also, with the heaviest falls likely to occur in Atlantic coastal counties. Localised flooding is possible with thundery falls. The winds will veer southwesterly as the low pressure system tracks northwards over western parts of the country. Highest temperatures will range 15 to 19 degrees Celsius.

Additional Note: At present, the strongest and most damaging winds are now forecasted to affect Munster and south Leinster, particularly the southwest, south and Irish Sea coasts with the heaviest rainfall accumulations in Connacht, west Ulster and west Munster. There are likely to be changes to the warnings which will be updated later this morning, pending the latest up to date guidance. This is an evolving situation and your patience is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's now the main item on CNN website!!!!
    These news websites take into account where you are logging in from and display news they feel is most relevant to you.
    Someone logging in to CNN from New Zealand might not even have that on the page.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So ICON and ARPEGE has been calling what Met Eireann just announced for about 24hrs now. Their models have more extreme gusts so I hope they're also not correct in this regards. If it was true, I would see Red Alerts for all Munster, all Leinster coast counties +75-100km inland counties. Looking at 150+kp/h gusts with sustained winds of 70-90kp/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

There's been mention of the possibility of 'sting jets' from this storm. This was a factor in generating some of the strongest winds in Great Storm of 1987

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/1987-great-storm/sting-jet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

flazio wrote: »
    It's now the main item on CNN website!!!!
    These news websites take into account where you are logging in from and display news they feel is most relevant to you.
    Someone logging in to CNN from New Zealand might not even have that on the page.
    Actually in New Zealand you would see the exact same page. Most brand name news sites don't go to a country level of granularity when doing editions. CNN only had two editions, US and international. The Ireland storm story is actually "front page" on the us edition as well, just not the main headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Steopo wrote: »
    There's been mention of the possibility of 'sting jets' from this storm. This was a factor in generating some of the strongest winds in Great Storm of 1987

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/1987-great-storm/sting-jet
    Can someone explain what sting jets are please and thanks ...they sound lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

harr wrote: »

Watch the video in the link, it's explained well there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

All you need to know is they are areas of much more extreme gusts and thunderstorms that are very possible given the tropical remenants interacting with a cold jet stream
    You’ll get a technical description on google

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What is the probability of this spawning tornadoes? I know the hurricanes in America do and I’m terrified of tornadoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Actually in New Zealand you would see the exact same page. Most brand name news sites don't go to a country level of granularity when doing editions. CNN only had two editions, US and international. The Ireland storm story is actually "front page" on the us edition as well, just not the main headline.

Yes. None of the rest of that page is Irish specific. Or even European specific. This is fairly big news in the US because they tend to report excitedly on hurricanes. Good for 24h news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Latest from Joanna

“Latest update; transition to ex-tropical status in construction. maintaining hurricane force winds. Likely to hit with cat2 strength.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

What is the probability of this spawning tornadoes? I know the hurricanes in America do and I’m terrified of tornadoes!

That was asked somewhere a few pages back, although I can't find it now. Upshot was that it's possible, yeah. Along with thunderstorms. The conditions are produced in a hurricane to spawn them anyway, but may or may not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

430629.png

430630.png

430631.png

3 charts in relative agreement of where exactly damaging wind will occur.

Waterford and Cork especially are going to get hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Yes. None of the rest of that page is Irish specific. Or even European specific. This is fairly big news in the US because they tend to report excitedly on hurricanes. Good for 24h news.
    Have relations in New York and I just got a text wishing me all the best and to stay safe :eek:
    It’s being widely reported as a major weather event over there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Low probability, but the conditions for it are there, check out the Estofex which predicts the probability of severe convective storms (ie. thunderstorms, tornados and such):

http://www.estofex.org

Key words from their latest forecast:

“Forecast soundings show low LCLs and intense LL shear (30 m/s 0-1 km shear and SRH-1 in excess of 400 m^2/s^2) . This is enough for rotating updrafts with an isolated tornado risk. ”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

430629.png

430630.png

430631.png

Is purple not much worse than red though, indicating that it's the south and east that will get hammered?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So too summarize.......were basically ****ed down here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Have relations in New York and I just got a text wishing me all the best and to stay safe :eek:
    It’s being widely reported as a major weather event over there

Wind speeds of a cat 2 hurricane is a major event. There will be people all over Ireland walking around going about their day to day business, suddenly finding themselves in danger. People in countries used to this weather wouldn't be so laid back and walking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Cat 2 Hurricane is a deadly weather event. This cant be stressed enough. Stay inside on Monday and Tuesday. There is going to be a lot of destruction. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

430629.png

430630.png

What's the likelihood of south Tipperary being upgraded to Status Red based on those models?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Cat 2 Hurricane is a deadly weather event. This cant be stressed enough. Stay inside on Monday and Tuesday.

It won't be a hurricane

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thomasj wrote: »
    It won't be a hurricane

but, you'll have hurricane force gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Cat 2 Hurricane is a deadly weather event. This cant be stressed enough. Stay inside on Monday and Tuesday.

This lads by the sounds of it now iv to work I will be out in this but I work in emergency services so I have to be out in it but if you don't stay at home if possible

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sjb25 wrote: »
    This lads by the sounds of it now iv to work I will be out in this but I work in emergency services so I have to be out in it but if you don't stay at home if possible

Best of luck tomorrow. Take care of yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

So too summarize.......were basically ****ed down here in Cork.

Yeah will be chaotic if goes as planned particularly in rural areas. It's going to be crazy.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

thomasj wrote: »
    It won't be a hurricane

Depends on the final track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

fryup wrote:
    but, you'll have hurricane force gusts

The last guidance I saw from the national hurricane centre said storm force as opposed to hurricane force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

I don't really understand ,what is the purple or red on the charts,which is more stronger,am in Waterford.

Advertisement