Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

925 hPa heights (dm) and winds (kt) from today's 12Z ECMWF, to give an idea of possible gusts.

Note how the height of this level ranges from around 400 metres near the centre to over 600 metres in the east. Winds at this level (possibly dragged down to the surface as gusts) are in the range of around 40 knots near the centre to around 90 knots over the Irish Sea (but around 250 m higher up there). Note the 70 knots barb near Galway Bay in the 15Z chart. Possible impact for that region.

37685206282_a27bdf6226_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

sdanseo wrote: »
    As a curiosity, when was the last time Dublin had a red warning?

I think it was for fog last winter. But cpuld be wrong. Can't remember one for rain or wind. System wasn't in place for the winter of 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Red warning increased countrywide.
    STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Ireland
    Ex-Hurricane Ophelia is forecast to track directly over Ireland during daytime Monday. Violent and destructive gusts are forecast with all areas at risk and in particular the southwest and south in the morning, and eastern counties in the afternoon. Also heavy rain and storm surges along some coasts will result in flooding.
    There is potential risk to lives.

Issued:Sunday 15 October 2017 20:00
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 06:00 to Monday 16 October 2017 23:59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Red warning increased countrywide.

Where is that info?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

rte Red countrywide
    Met Éireann has redesignated the entire country to a red level wind warning this evening as Hurricane Ophelia approaches.

The Department of Education said earlier that all schools in areas affected by Met Éireann's status red wind alert are to stay closed tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Where is that info?

http://www.met.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Red wind warning nationwide according to RTE although met.ie hasn’t changed yet

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/919640927920062464

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Where is that info?
    rte

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Where is that info?

Rte

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

They have also changed the time from 9am to 6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Fog has appeared here in north cork. Is this a phenomenon before a storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Ireland
    Ex-Hurricane Ophelia is forecast to track directly over Ireland during daytime Monday. Violent and destructive gusts are forecast with all areas at risk and in particular the southwest and south in the morning, and eastern counties in the afternoon. Also heavy rain and storm surges along some coasts will result in flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

New warning up on Met.ie
    Wind Warning for Ireland

Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 06:00 to Monday 16 October 2017 23:59

12Z ECMWF winds at 100 metres marginally higher than the 00Z, with Force 12 (gold) now creeping up the east coast tomorrow afternoon. Subtract around 5-10% to estimate surface winds.

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101512_024.jpg

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101512_027.jpg

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101512_030.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Looking at sat 24 it's moving very fast over the last 15 minutes.. https://en.sat24.com/en/eu/infraPolair are the times correct were seeing here if it keep going that quick will it hight tonight rather than tomorrow.

That seems very fast...maybe the times are incorrect. At that speed it would be here in about 8 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

So it's possible that it will hit earlier?

And can anyone tell me if Clare, Kerry, Galway and Limerick are still in line for the brunt of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I don't get the idea of putting the whole country under red when a large portion of it will not get mean winds above 80 kph / gusts above 130 kph. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't get the idea of putting the whole country under red when a large portion of it will not get mean winds above 80 kph mean/ gusts above 130 kph. Strange.

Quick edit there.. On the wind speeds.

I'd imagine a hurricane with an eye hitting land in Ireland is enough reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I don't get the idea of putting the whole country under red when a large portion of it will not get mean winds above 80 kph / gusts above 130 kph. Strange.

It's good to see someone down playing this whole event and adding a little bit of "calm"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

What does the eye reforming mean in this context? Will it dissipate again? Unsure if this is normal this far north.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd tend to agree that on a technical level some parts won't get the required wind. North Leinster, Donegal and some parts of connacht even may escape that level.

However the potential for risk is clearly so great and the proportion of the country so huge that they've obviously felt they have no other option. I genuinely wasn't sure they would do it, and by technical measures maybe they shouldn't, but I understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

listermint wrote: »

Shouldn’t make any differnce if the expected wind speeds don’t meet the criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

And can anyone tell me if Clare, Kerry, Galway and Limerick are still in line for the brunt of it?

Not at the moment, the worst has moved east, you might have the strongest wind of this year or a couple of years, but the strongest in thirty years is heading for east Cork, waterford wexford, unless it alters west again

listermint wrote: »

The criteria for Red don't include how a storm looks, only mean/gusts above 80/130 kph.

A lot of people in the midlands are going to be scratching their heads come Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's good to see someone down playing this whole event and adding a little bit of "calm"

Gaoth Laidir is not downplaying this whole event he will tell you that himself

adox wrote: »
    Shouldn’t make any differnce if the expected wind speeds don’t meet the criteria.

But most forecasts say they do.

Some folks seem to want the notoriety of picking outliers for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I'd say they don't really know how this will all pan out. Probably playing it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its hard to be sure depends on the track and how accurate the forecast charts are... looking at some of those charts its looks like the worst will be in the south and east but other charts also show a batch of violent winds in the afternoon/evening moving up parts of the west coast into Galway Bay...

• Advertisement

The criteria for Red don't include how a storm looks, only mean/gusts above 80/130 kph.

A lot of people in the midlands are going to be scratching their heads come Tuesday.

They sure don't. But it's a hurricane or as close to in Ireland. What's the point in trying to turn it down...

Advertisement