Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Most focus seems to be on the wind and how we haven’t seen anything like this before
    How about the rain? How will it compare to some of the downpours that have cause havoc in previous years
    And how bad would storm surge be? Just south facing coasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The nullschool site also shows strengthening winds to the west of the eyewall of 130 kph

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Ophelia's track stays a little East like last NHC advisory
    Remember there's a rainfall warning also, particularly in the West.

Wunderground have another addition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Could there be any unusual cloud formations, lightning, hail, or other weird events with this storm tmrow? Just wondering as its such an unusual event.

Estofex says there's a small tornado risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

batman2000 wrote: »
    I'd say because Met Eireann said tonight it's expected at 6am.

I was referring to maps with the time stamps shown on them, those need to be converted. The onset might be 0600h but the strongest part of the windstorm will be around 1100h in the south coast lasting 2-4 hours. This is the confusion I wanted to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I was referring to maps with the time stamps shown on them, those need to be converted. The onset might be 0600h but the strongest part of the windstorm will be around 1100h in the south coast lasting 2-4 hours. This is the confusion I wanted to avoid.

Always enjoy readings your analysis and forecasts :)

A question though.

Some very strong winds seem to be hitting just off the coast of Dublin. Do storms accelerate over sea and slow down over land.

Also how bad can bad get for north east Dublin. We are up high and not too far off the coast.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Is that nullschool earth site up to date?...I read somewhere else that its 3hrs behind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note

This thread is for technical analysis only please - there’s a general discussion thread available for everything else

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Is that nuschool earth site up to date?...I read somewhere else that its 3hrs behind.

It's well behind sat24, that has it gone past france now.
    https://en.sat24.com/en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Is that nullschool earth site up to date?...I read somewhere else that its 3hrs behind.

Click where it says earth, it should tell you the time it's based on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON 18Z ( looks to giver higher wind speeds then the other models, we will see when the others come out later )

Might get the center close to here near Tralee mid afternoon.

Mean

tempresult_uqe4.gif

Gusts

tempresult_iai0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Is it just me or does it look like from the sat24 image that it is (has?) shifting slightly more west?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

mel.b wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it look like from the sat24 image that it is (has?) shifting slightly more west?

Bet me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Definitely a shift to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Just a query regarding yr.no, what models would they be using for forecasts of Ireland- generally find them good, but their wind speeds for tomorrow seem to be out of kilter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Certainly looks that way but the Jet Stream will probably push her back onto the forecast track. She is moving fast though. Think it will arrive a few hours earlier than forecasts.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 68,575 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RTE say it won't make a lot of difference if it shifts a bit

The 18Z GFS just rolling out, looks wicked.

Mean

tempresult_poe8.gif

Gusts

tempresult_eya5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Latest gfs out, track seems to be a touch further west with around 75kt gusts briefly on the south coast and in general about 50-60kts possible anywhere, again I'd say nothing exceptional but still strong enough to down trees across large parts of the country.

15-289UK_xka0.GIF

18Z GFS seems to push it a bit west again.
    18-515UK_cae2.GIF
    21-515UK_skw7.GIF
    24-515UK_awp6.GIF

Wind gusts not as strong as what other models are showing?

18-289UK_jml7.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wind gusts not as strong as what other models are showing?

18-289UK_jml7.GIF
    Indeed, not a particularly bad storm for the time of year if that came off? Would be lighter than the current red alert suggests, and let's hope so. But GFS hasn't been great this season and I'm not inclined to trust in its downgrade, especially when nowcasting with satellite imagery shows greater gust potential than that.

Centre approx 46.5N 11.8W moving almost due north now, lightning reported on the developing front extending to the southeast of the centre. Looks fully hybrid or extratropical now, as you prefer.

GFS 18z has centre near Valentia at 1300h and over Connemara 1600h. Slight shift back to west compared to earlier run and NHC track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Centre approx 46.5N 11.8W moving almost due north now, lightning reported on the developing front extending to the southeast of the centre. Looks fully hybrid or extratropical now, as you prefer.

GFS 18z has centre near Valentia at 1300h and over Connemara 1600h. Slight shift back to west compared to earlier run and NHC track.
    And also weaker forecast max gusts too it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Does this change the forecast much or is it essentially the same as what we've been told all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest wind analysis, showing max 1-minute winds down to 66 knots and a greatly shrinking 65-knot area.

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710152100_SWHR.GIF

18Z early track forecast still as you were. The black line is the official NHC track.

aal17_2017101518_track_early.png

Almost there, gulp!

PhG3d8i.gif

41RmU79.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From the link shown just - 1 hour. The reports of the eye disintegrating were prior to that ...

Maybe more of an adjustment to max wind gusts than a general decrease from that 18z GFS, but in no case would I infer any major downgrade ... on that track meanwhile Galway city and all of Clare are exposed to stronger winds than on the slightly inland track of NHC.

Much of the outcome depends on strength of occluded front that is now evident in formative stages, this will accelerate faster than the low centre.

Now thinking onset of strongest winds about 10:00 south coast, persisting 3-4 hours, and about 14:00 Clare-Galway lasting 2-3 hours. Keep in mind meteociel times are CET and one hour ahead of IST. (1400 on their map = 1300 IST = 12z).

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Honestly one of the most inappropriate comments I've ever seen on boards.

Mod Note: Post removed. Use report button .

• Advertisement

Size of the predicted wind field close to now.

2Xsyfq7.png?1

u2gTvPZ.gif?1

Advertisement