Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Nice electrical storm on the north tip of the center.

https://en.sat24.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

To those thinking it's going to miss us to the west, the path is forecast to veer more NE soon.

It may go more more west than forecast too of course.

Ivq3I6i.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Arome is a good Hi Res model ( seems to be showing lower wind speeds than previous runs and shifting the strongest winds away from Kerry on this one, could be an outlier, have to compare a few models and get an average, Similar mean speeds to the HIRLAM )

Mean

tempresult_god6.gif

tempresult_ysp9.gif

Gust

tempresult_pxi2.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Rougies wrote: »
    To those thinking it's going to miss us to the west, the path is forecast to veer more NE soon.

Ivq3I6i.gif

What does the red bar running through the centre of the country mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Rougies wrote: »
    That's quite interesting. I'd be amazed if at this late stage the models were that far off. If it takes that little kink that is indicated by the models then it would be a remarkable prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Autochange wrote: »
    at the top it has different models. its the nhc model which is red.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

spookwoman wrote: »
    Nice electrical storm on the north tip of the center.

https://en.sat24.com/en
    I also noticed a dry slot in the immediate western vicinity of what's left of the "core", wonder what that entails.

I'd call it now and say that Cork Airport will see a gust of 150 kph, Dublin Airport about 120kph, Shannon might see 140kph and Knock about 110-120kph. I'm hoping the all-Ireland red alert was overkill, based on the latest forecasts, but it's too dangerous to start equivocating at this late stage

Autochange wrote: »

That's the NHC forecast, this chart:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT17/refresh/AL172017_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind+png/204644_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In case anyone is in any doubt of the potential we are facing.

IMG_0992.PNG.c6c4a6c0e54f5fa80945d61238391b41.PNG

Gremlin wrote: »
    That's quite interesting. I'd be amazed if at this late stage the models were that far off. If it takes that little kink that is indicated by the models then it would be a remarkable prediction.

Yeah it's amazing how accurately the models can predict these things of such a massive scale. Earlier it looked like she was going to miss us to the east but changed course exactly as modeled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Is that a center opening up on the last frame

jd8g5WY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Interesting projected track here.

https://www.windy.com/?46.514,-9.009,5,a:CCqGU

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jd8g5WY.gif

Maybe the Jetstream influencing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

I asked the same question. No answer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I also noticed a dry slot in the immediate western vicinity of what's left of the "core", wonder what that entails.

I'd call it now and say that Cork Airport will see a gust of 150 kph, Dublin Airport about 120kph, Shannon might see 140kph and Knock about 110-120kph. I'm hoping the all-Ireland red alert was overkill, based on the latest forecasts, but it's too dangerous to start equivocating at this late stage

150 is a hell of a gust

I don't see from the models any justification in downgrading the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not much new in the TAF's at midnight.

Dublin

No real change to note, max gust 50kts

Shannon

Max gust has been revised up to 65kts and heavy rain added to the forecast.
    TEMPO 1611/1614 13040G65KT 3000 +RA

Cork

Max gust still at 70kts, heavy rain added to forecast.
    TEMPO 1611/1614 18050G70KT 3000 +RA

Knock

Max gust still 50kts, heavy rain added to forecast
    TEMPO 1612/1618 3000 +RA BKN007

ARPEGE 18Z ( most recent )
    In case anyone is in any doubt of the potential we are facing.

Yes the ARPEGE has been very consistent, one of the most reliable I think, often outperforms the GFS )

Mean speeds

tempresult_hkh9.gif

Gusts

tempresult_hgc6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

something happening

anim_ir.gif

• So the red / purple is bad yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So the red / purple is bad yes?

spot on

• Advertisement

I asked the same question. No answer

There's no simple answer to the question in context of a possible eye forming. Yes, the jetstream is influencing it. The jetstream is what's bringing it to Ireland right now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So the red / purple is bad yes?

Please look at the scale shown at the bottom - it is in km/h which is stated in the (French) title in blue at the top left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

spookwoman wrote: »
    something happening

anim_ir.gif

Looks like progress is much faster than predicted...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jd8g5WY.gif

On an equally dramatic note, the last frame shows a somewhat westerly component to its movement?!

Edit: a bit of a nowcast but I'd up the max forecast gust for Shannon airport to 140 kph now compared to what I posted not long ago. And possibly lower it for Dublin to 100-110 kph. Also knock/Belfast to reach 130 kph gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sea area forecast, mentions Force 11, possibly Force 12 on southern coasts before noon.
    Issued at 22:00 on 15-Oct-2017

Sea Area Forecast until 0000 Tuesday 17 October 2017

Issued at 0000 Monday 16 October 2017

Gale Warning: In Operation

Small Craft Warning: See Gale Warning

Meteorological Situation at 2100:A deep depression (ex hurricane Ophelia) of 973 hPa centred 300 miles northwest of Iberia tracks rapidly northeastwards and will cross Ireland during Monday. Its associated frontal systems and extremely strong wind flows will affect the country.

Forecast for Irish coastal waters from Malin Head to Howth Head to Valentia and the Irish Sea
    Wind: Increasing southeast gale force 8 imminent; further increasing violent storm force 11 during the forenoon (possibly Force 12 on south coasts), veering southwest in the evening.
    Weather: Heavy and persistent rain.
    Visibility: Moderate overnight, decreasing poor tomorrow.

Forecast for Irish coastal waters from Valentia to Erris Head to Malin Head
    Wind: Northeast force 6, becoming cyclonic variable Gale 8 to storm force 10 during the forenoon.
    Weather: Occasional heavy rain
    Visibility: Good tonight, becoming moderate to poor in rain.

Outlook for a further 24 hours until 0000, Wednesday, 18 October 2017: Gale to storm force westerly winds gradually easing strong. Rain clearing to squally showers.

Next update before 0700 Mon 16-Oct-2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The ARPEGE models seems to hammer the east. And yet the taf has low enough gusts for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That hole in the middle is an eye. How long lived it'll be is anyone's guess, but there's no mistaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Middle Man wrote: »
    Looks like progress is much faster than predicted...

A good thing IMO in terms of people realising the seriousness of what is ahead and not making people go to work etc.

It would be ideal if this started hitting no later than commute times for that reason IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

sdanseo wrote: »
    That hole in the middle is an eye. How long lived it'll be is anyone's guess, but there's no mistaking it.

What does that mean if it is an eye?
    Sorry for the questions. Been following this thread for the last day or two and it seems this storm keeps surprising people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Worth noting that Belfast international airport is forecasting a gust of 60kts, so either they're over estimating or Irish airports are grossly underestimating.

Advertisement