Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

On an equally dramatic note, the last frame shows a somewhat westerly component to its movement?!

Compare with the NHC track though, and it's fairly well within predictions:

Ivq3I6i.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

bloopy wrote: »
    What does that mean if it is an eye?
    Sorry for the questions. Been following this thread for the last day or two and it seems this storm keeps surprising people.

Generally speaking it means the storm has more cyclonic force and is more organised but this type of storm (the extra-tropical transition) is way beyond my basic understanding.

Paging MTC or others to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,228 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Middle Man wrote: »
    Looks like progress is much faster than predicted...

does make it look like the forecasts don't match, at the speed it travelling would it not reach the south coast at 6am. where as forecast shows worst of it off the south coast at 1pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

NOAA 00.00 16-10-17

YYqsV8d.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Might be veering to east again. added 00.20 to the tracking
    6T1dj3q.jpg

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »

So far so accurate for that NHC track!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

6T1dj3q.jpg

It was always due to track West and then East from the NHC guidance. However it does seem to be slightly ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

6T1dj3q.jpg

The earlier animation seems to show the Jetstream pushing everything Eastward as it gets nearer Ireland.That image seems to confirm this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

6T1dj3q.jpg

That kink was in the models. Its amazing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

Should these buoys in the south begin to see an increase in wave height and wind speed soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Euro4 9am

17101609_1518.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Just see it says a sting jet is developing on the SE side of Ophelia

K1 Buoy:

plot_met.php?station=62029&meas=pres&uom=E&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

2300Z Sat image

Capture_zps8mqfzy3d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

So I just asked the question many hours ago if the jetstream would push ophelia, negate ophelia or expand ophelia. I love having no clue but asking a valid question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Water vapour imagery shows that drier upper air is feeding around into the south of the circulation, cutting out the convection (white cold cloud tops) and causing that change in shape. The movement of that blob of cold clouds is not an indication of the movement of the surface centre, which is out of view in satellite imagery.

I don't think that's a sting jet as it's too early for that to form (needs to be occluding) and the jet is not strong enough (around 60-70 knots). Those grids are 300 nmi in length so about that to run to landfall.

37673991016_7f71628f2c_z.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

Some lightning strikes appearing now

40280f7f088c719f029b3957b8f42d5b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Here's real time lightning strikes map. There's quite a lot around Ophelia

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=sat;r=0;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;y=50.6958;x=-10.1654;z=7;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;i=1;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

144 pages and all i can seem to find is some lad has a flight out of cork and another saying he'd sack someone if they worked for them and called in sick.

I thought this was meant to be about technical discussions, I'm reading people say there has been some excellent info but i can't find it ... can someone please tell me what pages the gems are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Water vapour imagery shows that drier upper air is feeding around into the south of the circulation, cutting out the convection (white cold cloud tops) and causing that change in shape. The movement of that blob of cold clouds is not an indication of the movement of the surface centre, which is out of view in satellite imagery.

I don't think that's a sting jet as it's too early for that to form (needs to be occluding) and the jet is not strong enough (around 60-70 knots). Those grids are 300 nmi in length so about that to run to landfall.

37673991016_7f71628f2c_z.jpg
    So those colder clouds you'd see here: http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/satellite.php

..are only showing the movement of upper-level air in a slightly westerly direction and not of the surface low? Especially with something like a clear eye appearing, there looked to be cohesion in wind direction between surface and upper levels and that the momentum was not at all easterly on the 0020 image.

Also the storm looks like it has an occlusion developing/developed on its northeastern edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Bsal wrote: »

40280f7f088c719f029b3957b8f42d5b.png

This looks like its going to hit in the next couple of hours rather than the 9am morning hit that was previously suggested?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

It seems to be moving at well over 100mph northwards...

Bsal wrote: »

I'm curious as to whether those strikes off the north-west tip of France are Ophelia related, the Estofex was indicating they were a possibility in that area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

22538009_10208441345391432_1290348836_n.jpg?oh=d9f75aaa74c376eb411ad8f4411e2716&oe=59E659A9

Looks like a massive bullet dodged? Its off out to the Atlantic? Great news if so ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

ECMWF model still showing higher wind speeds on Wexford coast then Kerry , and in my experience models underestimate winds speeds, especially GFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just ran an IR loop and noted rapid development of central calm spot (hesitate to call it an eye after the discussions earlier) and signature of very strong wrap-around winds as suggested on most guidance. Approx location 48N 12 W.

Pressure fall of about 11 mb at K1 buoy located about 40 miles nw of current estimated low and if it is at 960 mb, quite a pressure gradient, the buoy reads 988. They stopped taking wind obs unfortunately, 2.5 m waves (but on weak side of the storm).

Storm has loaded up on available heat energy, 21 C at Biscay buoy located 4 deg east of centre. SSTs near centre now about 16-17 C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sorry aidanodr Here's latest track with 1am def swing to the east

k6GyyY8.jpg

Advertisement