Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

NOAA

HlTaLz7.png?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gusts

rafales_uk_xrx2.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gust hit castlebar. Woke me there. Not massive strong

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wind has picked up in Clonmel over the past 30 minutes. About the same as your average windy night at the moment, with some sudden strong gusts.

EDIT: This is getting noticeably worse by the minute. 10 minutes later and we're into "bad windy night" territory. Hard downpours that last for about 10 seconds and then suddenly stop.

Same down here, nó rain though yet from what I can hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭ps200306

Just in case anyone is being misled by the sat24.com IR pictures into thinking this has gone much further west:

UrXVSgP.png

The perspective in that image is seriously skewed -- you need to rotate it around 45 degrees counterclockwise. For reference, look at the eastern edge of Iceland ... that's supposed to be 3 degrees *WEST* of the westernmost Dingle peninsula. Turn the screen the right way and Ophelia's northerly track has it barrelling straight at us. :eek:

3227_qvd9.png

4589_umv8.png

6980_mvz4.png

8183_tbl8.png

5326_hrd4.png

2635_wxk3.png

Netweather

XQPOXai.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah lads here go to sleep for an hour! Just woke up for a quick status check.
    6am TAF's issued, mainly upgrades. Somewhat concerning.

Cork Max gust now 75kts

Dublin Max gust now 55kts

Knock Max gust now 60kts

And to add to this list

Kerry Expecting max gust of 70kts, temporarily active between 11am-1pm TEMPO 1610/1612 14045G70KT

Waterford Expecting max gust of 75kts, temporarily between 1pm-4pm TEMPO 1612/1615 20050G75KT

Looks very concerning for those on the South Coast, especially as TAF's have upgraded further, stay safe everyone today.

I'm back to sleep for a while, good luck!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nod Note: This thread is just for technical discussion. A lot of posts moved to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057797471

• Advertisement

tWo1tJc.gif

ICON 03Z ( probably overestimates speeds a bit more than the other models ? , we will see )

tempresult_oaa0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Meteorite, what you show would suggest that this storm will miss on the West?

Fair few sferics showing up off the coasts

WclAcYK.png?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Nhc Florida has just said worst will be Galway to Sligo
    Storm is further west-RTÉ Morning Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 22,191 ✭✭✭✭Esel

See the white, purple and red in the post above yours?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The eye of the storm. Not the storm itself

I think if you go back a few pages and look at the various models, there is slight variances. In general I would think it wont miss, maybe not as bad as the SW, S and SE but treat it as a Red warning. This as they have said is unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This was the wind analysis at 4 am. I'm not sure if it's valid for extratropical systems as it works on the reduction of 700 hPa winds, which may not apply in this case. In any case it showing max winds 79 knots to the ENE.

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710160300_SWND.GIF

GFS 0Z

Mean

NPVyS32.gif?1

850hpa

Lj04Y5v.gif?1

• Advertisement

Barometer / Temp Readings Tralee

SPEKudp.png?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Bear in mind hurricane describes a very specific type of storm. This may no longer meet those technical criteria but it does not mean that it’s not a very powerful system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Are all the models beginning to ageee on the westerly shift or is it all a little speculative ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Highest gust for 0600 reports was 44kn at Valentia, and, for 0700 reports is 47kn at Sherkin.

Mod Note

This thread is for technical analysis only please - there’s a general discussion thread available for everything else

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/satellite.php

This one is easier to see the storm momentum from, but as I said earlier looking at the infrared imagery can be deceptive. Nonetheless it seems like a slightly westerly wobble happened last night and I'd expect a slightly bigger hit on the western side of the country than I had expected yesterday.

There's been some eejits thinking that the storm is meaningfully missing Ireland when the winds from this will be severe throughout the south even still. When it does make it to Ireland, the observations will paint a detailed picture of what exactly it will do. Hopefully not as bad as feared or predicted.

Edit: basically this event is going to happen and it will be bad, and it's the technical thread so can we cut out the "what about me and my random question" stuff?

Again, not sure if the windspeeds in this latest analysis at 7 am are accurate (77 knots). It doesn't even state a radius for the 34-knot winds but at least it shows where the centre is now (50.8N 11.5W, about 200 km southwest of Kerry).

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710160600_SWND.GIF

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710160600_SWHR.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The winds are strongest to the east and south of the eye, and the rain is worse on the west, so if it has shifted west, this should reduce rainfall but increase the storm surge on the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

How accurate/reliable is ventusky? This chart looks very worrying with gusts over 170kmph for this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Joanna Donnelly on radio now just mentioned gusts >150 kph and a possible sting jet later

Advertisement