Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a site that isn't "For Sale"

Options
  • 11-10-2017 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

We're considering building but there aren't any decent sites up for sale in our area.

Does anyone have any experience (successful or otherwise) in simply asking a farmer/landowner if they would be interested in selling a small parcel of land (.5 - 1 acre) for building a house on?

I've bought a couple of folios on landdirect.ie but in most cases all I get is a name, though one time I was lucky enough to get a phone number from a mutual friend. I called him up and while he was really sound about it, he said no in the end.

I'm a little wary of simply walking up and knocking a strangers door as it may seem a bit dodgy initially, but is there any other/better approach?

Also (planning aside), are there any pitfalls on either side that I should be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make sure the land is land you can build on - check council development plan.

Check the portfolios if a solicitor is listed. Contact solicitor, ask them if they still work with farmer X and if they could do an introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

You remind me of this story I heard from someone, a man, who used to go to one mans house (this man fond of the drink), feed him with drink by a lovely warm fire, and eventually took out the USA biscuit tin full of cash to coax him into buying land off him. The land had great road frontage. Eventually he got planning permission for houses and sold them for a small fortune. The man who originally owned the land, his sons were young at the time and when they grew up and crossed this other mans path they had some very nice words to say to him. Dare I say it he never ventured up to this mans house again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Victor wrote: »
    Make sure the land is land you can build on - check council development plan.

Is there a way to determine "land you can build on"? Most of what I've looked at are rural on the development plan. They all have road frontage and are next to or close to other houses.

And if it makes any difference, they're all within a mile or so of where I grew up (Just inside the urban zone of a small town).
    Victor wrote: »
    Check the portfolios if a solicitor is listed. Contact solicitor, ask them if they still work with farmer X and if they could do an introduction.

Thanks - I haven't noticed but I'll keep an eye out for that.
    James 007 wrote: »
    You remind me of this story I heard from someone, a man, who used to go to one mans house (this man fond of the drink), feed him with drink by a lovely warm fire, and eventually took out the USA biscuit tin full of cash to coax him into buying land off him. The land had great road frontage. Eventually he got planning permission for houses and sold them for a small fortune. The man who originally owned the land, his sons were young at the time and when they grew up and crossed this other mans path they had some very nice words to say to him. Dare I say it he never ventured up to this mans house again.

Cool story....absolutely nothing like my situation....but cool story nonetheless. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Essien wrote: »
    We're considering building but there aren't any decent sites up for sale in our area.

Does anyone have any experience (successful or otherwise) in simply asking a farmer/landowner if they would be interested in selling a small parcel of land (.5 - 1 acre) for building a house on?

I've bought a couple of folios on landdirect.ie but in most cases all I get is a name, though one time I was lucky enough to get a phone number from a mutual friend. I called him up and while he was really sound about it, he said no in the end.

I'm a little wary of simply walking up and knocking a strangers door as it may seem a bit dodgy initially, but is there any other/better approach?

Also (planning aside), are there any pitfalls on either side that I should be aware of?

Also make sure you draw up plans, etc before approaching, you will need to know how much land you need, most people overlook wells and septic tanks at the early stages...

Someone came into my father while he was making hay during the boom and offered to buy a site. My father politely told them to go àway.

A better approach would probably be to get in touch with local auctioneers and valuers, and let them know that you are looking in the area.

Calling up to a random farmer doesn't sound like a likely way to find one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Essien wrote: »

I'd do the following:-

1. Identify some plots land which suit your needs and have (or should be able to get) planning permission.

2. Identify the owners of each plot of land.

3. Write a personal letter to each owner introducing yourself, giving a bit of background about yourself(s) and setting out how you're looking to build an ABC type of family home in the locality and are interested in purchasing a site (roughly marked out on a map attached to the letter) from him/her and you would be very grateful for an opportunity to meet with him/her to discuss it and leave your mobile number asking him/her to contact you at their convenience.

4. If they call and agree to meet it indicates they are open to doing a deal otherwise they'd just blow you off on the phone call or not call you at all.

5. If you get a meeting the sole objective should be to get them to 'like' you and to agree, in principle, to sell you the site subject to them approving your plans and agreement on price. If you try to rush to agreeing a price too early you could blow it. It's a broad generalisation but in my experience country people like to take their time and get to know people before doing such a "personal" deal where they'll be stuck with you as a neighbour forever.

I've had success taking such a targeted and personal approach in the past for other things, not buying a site so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt!!

FYI, don't substitute a personal letter with an email. The former means something and shows respect, the latter may be viewed as spam, is impersonal and is easily declined or ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would really try to find an agent or local solicitor who knows the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Most councils/planning authorities will have a min site size required to build a one-off house, typically .75 of an acre in rural settings - but will vary by area. Depending on where you are, 'local needs' may apply to your planning application where you have to prove a (strong) connection to the area and a 'need' to build the house you are proposing.

If you do find a site or someone will to sell you one, you can agree it on the basis that you'll only purchase contingent of being granted PP.

Advertisement