Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tens machine - would you recommend

Options
  • 11-10-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭

I'm due in 10 weeks and I'm debating on whether I should get a Tens machine or not for labour. If you used one would you recommend or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Yes I would I used one on my June 2017 baby. Put it on before arriving in the hospital. Used it until 4-5cm dialated and then along gas and air until I gave birth. Wud def recommend it. Rented one from a local pharmacy

Clashmore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yes I'd definitely recommend one. However I'd buy rather than rent. On my first two pregnancies I had a lend of one but had to buy on the last one.

Got this one from amazon and it was perfect. They are ex rental ones I think but come with new pads etc. I was a bit unsure first whether to get a refurb one but then reckoned if I was renting it would have been used before anyway too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KK12ZU6/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Another positive vote here. Used it on both my births. Baring in mind I had crazy fast labours it was a nice distraction when things were starting to kick off. That's kind of how they work, your brain can only process one pain at a time so kind of distracts you from the contraction.

I'd also recommend to buy. I got mine from inheath.ie for my first baby in 2013 and used the same one again last year. For €50 it owes me nothing and sitting them ready if we go again.

ETA: the tens machine isn't actually painful! Just to clarify. It sends a sensation through your back (or wherever the pads are located!)

Digs wrote: »
    ETA: the tens machine isn't actually painful! Just to clarify. It sends a sensation through your back (or wherever the pads are located!)

Although if you turn it on high at the start you might give yourself a fright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

sillysocks wrote: »
    Although if you turn it on high at the start you might give yourself a fright ;)

Yes definitely!! I can't decide if it's an unpleasant sensation or not... it's a strange one isn't it :)
    Definitely not painful though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Brilliant on my first child, got it on very early and it worked wonders.
    I think my labour was too established by the time I got it on on my second, and I just wanted the annoying buzzy thing off my back!!!
    I was able to rent one from Boots first time round but they don't seem to do that anymore, so I had to buy from Mothercare second time round.At 65eur they aren't exactly cheap, so maybe see if you could borrow one before you go out and buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sounds like it's useful it you start using it early enough.

Sillysocks thanks for the amazon link. That's a brilliant price!

bee06 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sounds like it's useful it you start using it early enough.

Sillysocks thanks for the amazon link. That's a brilliant price!

I know! I was very sceptical so ordered it in plenty of time as wasn't convinced it'd be the full kit etc, but it was perfect. Actually I think when I got it the batteries they gave didn't work but when I got new ones it was fine. I just attached the pads lightly to the back of my hand to test it and make sure it was working so I wouldn't discover an issue in the depths of labour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I didn't find the sensation of the tens pleasant, but I did find that it distracted me from the labour cramps. I used it "successfully" from when I started getting contractions to pretty much when I said I need to push. It wasn't long between though..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

I had contemplated getting one for my labour but as it turned out it wouldn't have done much for me as I wouldn't have had time to put it on... waters broke at home out of nowhere and went straight into hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Definitely use one. But use it to do this, and be sure to post the video! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I didn't find it helpful at all. That said, I'm of the opinion that you should try anything! My waters broke first and then my contractions came very fast and very strong, maybe if I had some at home it would have been useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Used it on two labours, on the first I put it on when labour had progressed a fair bit. I didn’t particularly help but wasn’t a problem either. On the second baby it was a god send. I put it on at the second contraction, I ended up having a short labour. I found it a great relief and a good distraction. Kept my focus during a race to the hospital! It was the only form of pain relief I had in the end so was glad I had it. It’s often in Mothercare sales- I got one for 50 euro.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

sillysocks wrote: »
    Yes I'd definitely recommend one. However I'd buy rather than rent. On my first two pregnancies I had a lend of one but had to buy on the last one.

Got this one from amazon and it was perfect. They are ex rental ones I think but come with new pads etc. I was a bit unsure first whether to get a refurb one but then reckoned if I was renting it would have been used before anyway too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KK12ZU6/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

God you couldn't go wrong at that price!!

I had a really long labour last time, and I found the tens machine very good for helping me cope with the early stages. That being said, I found it got to a point where it stopped being as effective. I'd definitely use it again this time around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks everyone. Endacl if I do recreate the video you'll be the first to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I didn’t get much relief from it. But my labour was fairly fast and intense. Maybe if I’d had a slower labour, and had it on from the start, it would’ve been better.

I got mine for €20 on donedeal. It had never been used.

Advertisement