Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerodynamics - what is meant by cross flow?

• 11-10-2017 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

So I am reading this paper from 1975 titled "High Lift Aerodynamics" by A.M.O Smith and I am reading his section about circulation about an airfoil. I came across this paragraph:

"A plain flap increases that circulation because when it is deflected, a con-
    siderable cross-flow component of the onset velocity exists at
    the trailing edge."

What he is talking about here is the airfoil bound vortex that generates lift.

Would anyone with a bit of aerodynamics knowledge be able to explain this to me as I do not understand what he means by the cross-flow component?

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement