Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Lidl and Aldi sell the same products in Europe?

Options
  • 11-10-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

So we're going on holidays to Portugal next month and hiring a villa. We have 2 small children and do most of our shopping here in both. I'm wondering if I went and done a shop over there in either of these stores, will I find the same or similar products? My kids are fussy and I'm hoping to shop for the likes of breakfast and lunch and go out to eat for dinner. Is their alcohol also the same?! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Some the same , some not. They have Irish sourced and UK sourced products here that they won't have on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Pretty much - yes.

The store has the same layout no matter which country it's in. The only difference is local produce (ie, you won't find "Pat the Baker" bread, but there will local brands of bread instead).

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Shopped in Aldi in Almancil last month - similar stock to here but the wine was unbelievably cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was in Lithuania in August and saw ads on the TV for Lidl and they were advertising Irish dairy products butter & cheese etc..

Some Irish dairy products are a big deal on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

depends on what you want.
    If you want irish brown bread, a pound of irish (salty) dairy spread, rashers, irish sausages and black pudding, roast beef and gravy ready meals etc then no, you wont get those outside of Ireland (or UK).

But from being in the 2 shops in a number of countries there's still a lot of stuff the same like pasta, pasta sauce, ham cheese, salami, ketchup, fruit juice etc. The household and toiletries stuff is nearly all the same, maybe you would struggle to get firelighters in Portugal though!

The special deals (the chainsaws etc!) may or may not be the same, as each country/ region has full independence in what they source and when they sell it.
    Seasons too are different. I see Lidl or Aldi in Ireland was selling cycling stuff a week or 2 ago but theres no way Aldi/ Lidl in Germany/ Austria / Switzerland (and nordics too) would be selling stuff like that with the snow potentially only a month away. So again, the same but different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

C3PO wrote: »
    Shopped in Aldi in Almancil last month - similar stock to here but the wine was unbelievably cheap!

That's where we are going! Great to hear that.

Thanks for all your replies. By the sounds of it we will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lidl in Scandinavia is better tbh, killer feckin bakery section. 10x what we get here.

Booze is localised, very little import most of the time.

Advertisement