Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magene Gravat DD FE-C trainer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I wouldn't buy (virtually any sports tech) that DC Rainmaker hasn't tested to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

looks interesting... will wait and see. good resale value though on a kickr or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't buy (virtually any sports tech) that DC Rainmaker hasn't tested to be honest!

or shane"llama"miller
    also a good lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Just in case anyone is interested...bought this trainer back at the start of May in China and have been using it a lot since then. I've been in Beijing since May and this kind of equipment is pretty useful if you want to keep up your cyclign in a smoggy city when you have a nine month old child and a super busy job. It is very quiet-I mean unbelievably quiet. The only sound you hear is basically from the drive train, as far as I can tell the actual unit itself is pretty much silent. The only gripe I have is that I've never been able to get Zwift to read cadence from the unit. This isn't a problem as my bike also has a 4iiii power meter which I can use for cadence, but would annoy the hell out of me otherwise. Does the steep climbs well on Zwift-I mean they feel steep. I think the gradient maxes out at 15%. Power-wise, you can go pretty high. I've managed about 1100 watts at some point, no idea how. I think the unit can do something like 2000 watts, but it's fine for basically any user who is not Anre Greipel. This is basically a Wahoo Kickr for less than half the price-probably closer to a third actually. I bought it on Taobao which is basically like Amazon except better. It was well packed. I haven;t had to avail of customer support yet, but a couple of people I know have and they reckon the company is pretty good on that front and generally very responsive-this included English languag eservice if you don;t speak Chinese. That said, if you're not in China, it's probably going to be tough to get any support and returns would be an issue. But it's a third of the price of a Kickr....

Buying and using in china is one thing. Importing to Ireland you'd have to probably add on customs and VAT, and potential returns/ lack of support - that'd bring it up to near enough the price of a flux or directo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Macy0161 wrote: »

Hes just tested the Gravat2 and is very positive about it on his site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Slightly off topic but just a thought...do you need a smart trainer if you already have a “stupid” trainer and your bike has a power meter?

E.g. my PM can link via Ant+ , so I assume I could use Zwift?

Dont know about zwift, but you can with TrainerRoad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but just a thought...do you need a smart trainer if you already have a “stupid” trainer and your bike has a power meter?

E.g. my PM can link via Ant+ , so I assume I could use Zwift?

yep, use away... all you need is power for Zwift. if you want to use Workouts and to feel the gradient simulation you need a smart direct drive like Kickr, Flux, Neo, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

TriFirst wrote: »
    Hes just tested the Gravat2 and is very positive about it on his site.

It's 900 quid. so probably ends up way more expensive when import etc is taken in. I have a OneLap account though, maybe I could blag a test one if I set up a blog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

thekooman wrote: »
    yep, use away... all you need is power for Zwift. if you want to use Workouts and to feel the gradient simulation you need a smart direct drive like Kickr, Flux, Neo, etc.

Damn...I've no excuse for not using it so! :D

Advertisement