Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to higher capacity SSD.

Options
  • 11-10-2017 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to go about this. Should have gotten a larger one from the start. Is it just a matter of cloning it to the bigger SSD. Currently on the brink of capacity 128GB will probably get a 500gb or 1TB depending on prices.

Can I change where programs are installed would that would be an option rather than. Fresh installing windows 7. No problem uninstalling and reinstalling larger programs. One I use regular is probably taking up 50gb space through different versions - need the different versions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I currently have a 250gb ssd as my system drive and then i have a 1tb for vast majority of programs and games etc. works perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

256Gb is plenty for a system drive imo.

You could set up the old 128gb ssd as a cache drive for your hard drives to speed up your regularly used programs there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

BloodBath wrote: »
    256Gb is plenty for a system drive imo.

You could set up the old 128gb ssd as a cache drive for your hard drives to speed up your regularly used programs there as well.

Well it's not old yet have to get a new drive and find out how to clone the old to the new!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

If you get a retail box I suspect it will come with software to migrate disks.

If not you can do it with just about any Linux live system or there are even a bunch of specific systems like clonezilla you can use. Just make sure you have a usb stick spare that you can wipe to use to make a boot stick if needed and then wait to see what comes with your ssd (or if you haven't ordered yet you can check out which ssd's come with what to help you decide what to get).

So yes, I'd say go get a ~500GB (or bigger) SSD if you're wallet can manage it and then just clone across your existing install. I'd probably just use the small old disk for any caching and temporary things I could use it for and let it burn through it's write cycles until it dies, preserving the write cycles of your new ssd so hopefully by the time the small one dies you we're ready to get a new bigger one anyway and this new one you get now becomes your small drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would you not leave that 128GB as the boot drive and then just add the new one for whatever else you are using it for.

That's what I have I have my original 120GB SSD as a boot drive and then my 1TB SSD for games and storage and what not. I even have some games on the 120GB and there is still room left.

• Advertisement

Would you not leave that 128GB as the boot drive and then just add the new one for whatever else you are using it for.

That's what I have I have my original 120GB SSD as a boot drive and then my 1TB SSD for games and storage and what not. I even have some games on the 120GB and there is still room left.

Seems like the best solution. I could reinstall the bigger programs to the newer drive and use the new one from there onwards for new installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have my Windows partition on an ancient 128Gb Samsung Evo 830; all other programs are spread out across the other drives.

I'd probably be better off waiting till black Friday sales, right.... Was looking at the Evo's but is there other makes just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd probably be better off waiting till black Friday sales, right.... Was looking at the Evo's but is there other makes just as good?

Samsung are the de-facto leaders, but for general purpose computing (gaming & browsing) any SSD is a step above a regular HDD.

More to consider:
    https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/

Advertisement