Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies, safest area to rent in Dublin?

Options
  • 11-10-2017 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I have a niece moving to Dublin and she's understandably nervous as it will be her first time living alone in a city.

What part of the city do you think she would feel safest in?

She won't have a car so will be biking/busing into town daily.

Would ringsend be ok?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Feckofff wrote: »
    I have a niece moving to Dublin and she's understandably nervous as it will be her first time living alone in a city.

Would ringsend be ok?

Ringsend is fine. Obviously somewhere on the dart or luas line might feel safer as she would be further from the city centre, but there are trade offs between price/distance to town/safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Would ringsend be ok?

Skip the biking, lethal at rush hour.

https://dublinhousehunting.com/searching-for-the-perfect-house/2015/4/12/what-are-the-best-areas-and-those-that-you-should-avoid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That map is kind of funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Would ringsend be ok?

If she's going to live in an apartment in any area of Dublin she'll be fairly safe, it's when she's out and about on the streets she needs to cautious and be aware of her surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dublin 8.

It has a teaching hospital! Can't beat that for safety.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lumen wrote: »
    Dublin 8.

It has a teaching hospital! Can't beat that for safety.

There are a few teaching hospitals- many in lesser desireable areas- such as James Connolly in Blanchardstown. The presence, or lack thereof, of a teaching hospital in any given area- means precisely nothing.

The map is a load of horse manure- there are areas marked as 'good areas' that I wouldn't through after 5PM any evening (e.g. drug treatment, needle exchange and methadone programme centres)- then there are 'bad areas' (according to the map)- that while I wouldn't necessarily want to live there myself- I don't have any fundamental issue with.

I'd suggest talking to a few taxi men- they normally have good information on current 'no-go' areas- alongside Dublin Bus (who have curtailed services in some areas because of antisocial behaviour).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

That map is ridiculous. D15 is most certainly not a no go area, as presented there. It's well serviced by trains and full of working professionals and families. Yes, there are some parts which may be rougher, just like with anywhere (Monkstown in South County Dublin, while perceived as affluent also contains Monkstown Farm, for example) but on the whole there are great amenities and transport links.

Op: what kind of budget will your niece have? Housing is quite expensive at the moment so that would give a better idea of what kinds of places to recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

If she's going to live in an apartment in any area of Dublin she'll be fairly safe, it's when she's out and about on the streets she needs to cautious and be aware of her surroundings.

If she can get to work/supermarket and pubs etc without any hassle that would be great.

Ranelagh is probably ideal as it has 2 supermarket, but rent would equal her entire wage, this is her first real job.

She mentioned Donnybrook (its a little cheaper) she likes herbert park, but I'm not sure how safe the busses (46A & 39) are, particularly in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Map is crazy - avoid saggart because of crime and anti social behaviour, but crumlin / drimnagh is fine. Who made this map - fat freddy?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No issues with buses out to DonnyBrook imo. The 46a / 145 / 39a are particularly busy bus routes all throughout the day so usually too busy to have trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

If she can get to work/supermarket and pubs etc without any hassle that would be great.

Ranelagh is probably ideal as it has 2 supermarket, but rent would equal her entire wage, this is her first real job.

She mentioned Donnybrook (its a little cheaper) she likes herbert park, but I'm not sure how safe the busses (46A & 39) are, particularly in the evenings?

So I see budget is not an issue! There are no supermarkets in Donnybrook itself, a small Tesco and Donnybrook Fair is about it. Would have to go to Ranelagh or Merrion for a proper supermarket. Donnybrook is lovely, but probably a bit more "fun" in Ranelagh. If she can afford these places, go for it!

Attol wrote: »
    Op: what kind of budget will your niece have? Housing is quite expensive at the moment so that would give a better idea of what kinds of places to recommend

Max would be 1400, ideally a one bed but a good size studio would probably be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Donnybrook is safe as houses but the same houses would be horrendously expensive: she probably can't afford Donnybrook.

Monkstown Farm is grand, the nearby Mounttown flats areas are not. Dun Laoghaire in general needs a cautious eye for sure.

The classic flat-dweller areas of Ranelagh, Rathmines, Terenure, (Southside) Phibsboro, Glasnevin Clontarf (Northside) are all ok if you are streetwise.

If it was me I'd go further out of town but on a good public transport axis - eg, the N11 or the Luas or Dart. Work from the public transport outwards. Saves many hours of commuting and inconvenience.

daisy123 wrote: »
    So I see budget is not an issue! There are no supermarkets in Donnybrook itself, a small Tesco and Donnybrook Fair is about it. Would have to go to Ranelagh or Merrion for a proper supermarket. Donnybrook is lovely, but probably a bit more "fun" in Ranelagh. If she can afford these places, go for it!

Afford would be the wrong word! She's used to living like a student and I'm sure her parents won't let her go hungry (they'd probably pay her if she'd eat a bit more as it is :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

davindub wrote: »

Biking is quite safe now, especially so at rush hour when cars are going slower . Greater numbers of cyclists increasing safety factor steadily too. So please stop making rash and uninformed statements.

To OP, statement made above about price/area is good advice. Would add that distance from city centre a strong driver as well. Places like Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, Ranelagh etc. very safe but also quite pricey. But other areas are safe enough as well. Take into account usual common sense factors such as what the neighborhood looks like, research online, talk to people in work etc. etc. If she find temporary digs for a few weeks (despite rental crisis, still appears to be a fair bit of space within shooting distance of the city by people offers rooms under the rent-a-room scheme), it'll allow her time to familiarise herself with Dublin, talk to people about different areas and get out and look at places.

Best of luck to her (and she'll need it given demand for rental accommodation these days!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

1400 for her own place in Dublin means she won't have much choice in where she lives, as she can only afford certain areas. Namely, flats near the canal on the southside and others already mentioned.

Personally, I think spending 1400 on rent is utter madness. If she rents a room she can save half her money while having greater options in terms of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Attol wrote: »
    That map is ridiculous. D15 is most certainly not a no go area, as presented there. It's well serviced by trains and full of working professionals and families. Yes, there are some parts which may be rougher, just like with anywhere (Monkstown in South County Dublin, while perceived as affluent also contains Monkstown Farm, for example) but on the whole there are great amenities and transport links.

Monkstown Farm hasn't been rough since the 90's at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Pelvis wrote: »
    1400 for her own place in Dublin means she won't have much choice in where she lives, as she can only afford certain areas. Namely, flats near the canal on the southside and others already mentioned.

Personally, I think spending 1400 on rent is utter madness. If she rents a room she can save half her money while having greater options in terms of location.

I'd agree with this, she could get a lovely house share for 7-900 in a nice area.

I first moved to Dublin three years ago as a single female, moved in with other girls in Stoneybatter and still living there. I love it here. She would be much better off looking at 2 or 3-beds with a spare room going in areas like D6/D7/D4, walkable to city centre but also bike/bus/luas/dart an option.
    If she's unfamiliar with Dublin and a bit green maybe she could book a hostel or air b'n'b for a week or two, get to know the city and its areas and then pick something.

ciaradx wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, she could get a lovely house share for 7-900 in a nice area.

I first moved to Dublin three years ago as a single female, moved in with other girls in Stoneybatter and still living there. I love it here. She would be much better off looking at 2 or 3-beds with a spare room going in areas like D6/D7/D4, walkable to city centre but also bike/bus/luas/dart an option.
    If she's unfamiliar with Dublin and a bit green maybe she could book a hostel or air b'n'b for a week or two, get to know the city and its areas and then pick something.

Thanks, It's good advice,

My niece is very introverted (not shy) and is not really a people person and definitely not a typical young lady!
    So she needs a lot of space/time to herself. I doubt she would ever really be happy sharing.

It's a case of horses for courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Also if she has a bike and is considering renting an apartment, make sure there's a secure bike storage area included. Most management companies do not allow bikes inside the apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There are a few teaching hospitals- many in lesser desireable areas- such as James Connolly in Blanchardstown. The presence, or lack thereof, of a teaching hospital in any given area- means precisely nothing.
    My point is that "safety" means what exactly?

2016 stats, deaths for women, by age group from CSO (Table 14).

Screen_Shot_2017-10-12_at_11.38.04.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Less desirable? D15. Which is where I live and have lived all my life. Ever heard of castleknock?

Is your niece planning on going home each weekend? Many current rentals or house shares are Monday to Friday. As single occupancy and given it's her first real job she won't have references and hence won't be first in line.

amtc wrote: »
    Less desirable? D15. Which is where I live and have lived all my life. Ever heard of castleknock?

Is your niece planning on going home each weekend? Many current rentals or house shares are Monday to Friday. As single occupancy and given it's her first real job she won't have references and hence won't be first in line.

That's a good point on the references.
    It looks like an uphill battle for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Thanks, It's good advice,

My niece is very introverted (not shy) and is not really a people person and definitely not a typical young lady!
    So she needs a lot of space/time to herself. I doubt she would ever really be happy sharing.

It's a case of horses for courses!

When I was that age, I was exactly the same and sharing with people really helped me to come out of my shell a little bit. Living in Dublin on your own wouldn't be easy either, it can be a very insular place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I am told by a Guard that Booterstown has the lowest crime rate in Dublin, especially the part opposite the main entrance to the Belfield campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

If you can afford it, Ringsend is fine. Lots of young professionals, gyms and sporting activities. Big companies like Accenture, Facebook, Paypal & Google. Some nice places to eat. The flats aren't bad. Overall she'll be fine. Lived in Ringsend past 7 years. Saying I did have a pretty bad incident on sandymount beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭JennyZ

A lot depends in terms of transport links on where exactly she will be working, does she have a job lined up already?

JennyZ wrote: »
    A lot depends in terms of transport links on where exactly she will be working, does she have a job lined up already?

Working on the north quay in finance. Luas would work but would need to change lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Did your niece ever house share before this? Because from where I'm sitting, it's madness for her to be spending all this money on rent just so she can have a place of her own. House sharing doesn't have to be a negative experience. I have lots of happy memories and some good friends to show for my years of "sharing with strangers". Also, if your niece harbours any notions of settling in Dublin in the longer term, she'd need to be putting money aside now for a deposit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement