Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health

Options
  • 11-10-2017 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys I’m new to this so bear with me lol. So recently I have started collage here in Kildare Ireland and it’s going really well . Recent,y I have made loads of friends and one of those friends has over heard me say to another friend LOOK IM A BIT DEPRESSED. So she text me that night anyways asking if I’m ok and all so I just basically just let it all out but then I find out she has been talking very mean stuff about me behind my back so I confront her about it and she goes mad at me and starts telling the whole class what I told her IN CONFIDENCE about my mental health such as my authusim and adhd and my serious phases of depression which makes me want to end it all at times and I told it all raw and honest to her and she just goes and starts telling the world about it after the fight

Is it legal for someone I trusted mental health information with to go and tell others about it without my consent ??

that’s my questions

Cheers guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Of course it's legal. There's no confidentiality laws about disclosing anything.

Just learn your lesson and don't share anything with her anymore and continue enjoying college and your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The people who matter will judge her for what she did, not you. You can learn the lesson that in future, taking a bit of time to build a relationship with someone and being more sure you can trust them will pay off. You haven't recently made a lot of new friends, you've just met a lot of new people. Some will turn out to be friends, some you won't remember their names by the end of the year, some will let you down, some will be the best friends you ever had.
    It's good to be honest and open about mental health issues, but you don't need to tell everyone you meet, you're entitled to privacy too. It might be a good idea to ask college counsellors or whatever support services there are there about counselling services, support groups etc to give you an outlet and some help without needing to let too many people know what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jackmiles wrote: »
    Is it legal for someone I trusted mental health information with to go and tell others about it without my consent ??

Is it a crap thing to do as a friend? Yes but shes not your doctor or any sort of health care professional or legal advisor so no there's no legal issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

You've learned a lesson... term is only 4/5 weeks in and you have told a very new friend a lot about you. It can sometimes overwhelm people to have that on them which is why she probably told people.

There is a college counselor and GP i'm sure so please go and seek some help there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It was an absolutely ****ty thing to do OP, but try not to worry too much about it. The people she told stuff to will have forgotten it in a week or two. In the future make sure you can trust someone before you tell them personal stuff again.

Best of luck in college, I'm sure you'll do great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

never_mind wrote: »
    You've learned a lesson... term is only 4/5 weeks in and you have told a very new friend a lot about you. It can sometimes overwhelm people to have that on them which is why she probably told people.

^^This

I can still remember what I was like at that age and I'm not sure how well I would have handled all of this information either. It was an awful lot for her to take on board. Also, not everyone is good at keeping things confidential, especially at your age. Sometimes it is only with experience and maturity do people get better at keeping their mouths shut.

It looks like you've learned a hard lesson here. Be careful who you confide in. Always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

She's a gowl for doing that but no law has been broken.

Advertisement