Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance and medical costs - I'm confused

Options
  • 11-10-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Just moved back to Ireland and trying to understand the car insurance world. I've been away from age 20 to 30 so there are lots of day to day stuff I don't understand.

It seems that its all about trying to get the cheapest quote and that the details don't matter.

I am looking at getting comprehensive insurance and have a quote I am happy with from Liberty Insurance. However the "Personal Accident" payment seems very low at 6,500euro (https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/car-insurance/car-policy-features-and-benefits/).

Are there limits on the medical payments of others involved who could sue me for injuries I cause (either in my car or other)? I am used to buying coverage in the million, with $2million being standard and $150,000 as min. legal.

Is this something people consider when choosing an insurance plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Personal Accident cover only applies to you (the insured), not to passengers or third parties, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Esel wrote: »
    Personal Accident cover only applies to you (the insured), not to passengers or third parties, afaik.

+1 it covers you (the insured) if you trip getting in or out of the car, that sort of thing. It really has nothing to do with the third party coverage which is the core part of every motor policy. It's a chargeable add-on like breakdown coverage which they hope you will accept by default but you can decline it if you don't want it.

The Liberty policy document says that the limit on liability for damage to property is €30,000,000 but there is no stated limit for death or bodily injury for which you would be liable....

We will insure the insured person against legal liability for damages (including the related costs and expenses) for death or bodily injury to any person and damage to property arising as a result of an accident by or in connection with the vehicle.

We will not pay more than €30,000,000 for damage to property arising from any one claim or number of claims arising out of one cause.

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/car-insurance/car-policy-documents/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

3rd party injury element is unlimited (though not sure what the highest motor claim ever awarded in the country is - I've seen a few 8 figure claims). Obviously nobody was ever given infinity euro by a judge!

Advertisement