Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Lake build - need help

Options
  • 12-10-2017 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Gaming, possibly running at all-core turbo, maybe mild overclocks down the line

Decided:

Processor: 8700k

Ram: DDR4 16 gb 3200 mhz

Graphics card: GTX 1070 (existing card)

System drive: M.2 Samsung Evo 960 SSD

Undecided:

Motherboard: Budget approx 200. ATX. Z370. Onboard Wifi needed. The more USB the better. Be capable of mild overclocking. Don't care about RGB.

Power supply: Budget 100 to 120. Leaning towards EVGA 750w, gold, modular. Something with a good warranty

Case: Budget approx 50 to 150. Hardest part to spec. 4 USB on the front panel is a must. Good cooling, good sound-proofing and not too massive (ideally a mid-tower around 8 kg max)

CPU cooling: interesting in AIO water cooling. Cannot be loud. Or excellent fan. Budget around 100.

I know this is quite specific, but any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Noone has stock of 8700K.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Laysercard

It's tricky to find, but I got myself a chip two days ago and they will be delivering it in a couple of days (out of the country at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Quick question around the case. Are the 4 USB required to be 4 x 3.0 USB or can there be a mix of 2.0 and 3.0?
    Edit: You could look into a usb hub in front in one of the 5" bays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Laysercard wrote: »
    Case: Budget approx 50 to 150. Hardest part to spec. 4 USB on the front panel is a must. Good cooling, good sound-proofing and not too massive (ideally a mid-tower around 8 kg max)

I would recommend the Fractal Design Define R5. Should tick all the boxes, if you're OK with two USB2.0 and two USB3.0 ports.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Quick question around the case. Are the 4 USB required to be 4 x 3.0 USB or can there be a mix of 2.0 and 3.0?
    Edit: You could look into a usb hub in front in one of the 5" bays

2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 should be fine

Just seems to rare on cases now that I may have to go with the USB hub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 should be fine

Just seems to rare on cases now that I may have to go with the USB hub
    There are no cheap cases with 4x USB3.0
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehatx&v=e&hloc=uk&sort=p&bl1_id=30&xf=4211_3

Nanoxia CoolForce 2 Rev.B has 2x USB3.0 & 1x USB3.1 though
    https://skinflint.co.uk/nanoxia-coolforce-2-rev-b-black-nxcf2b-a1535202.html?hloc=uk

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

It's tricky to find, but I got myself a chip two days ago and they will be delivering it in a couple of days (out of the country at the moment)

Where and what price, if you don't mind saying?

Luck100 wrote: »
    Where and what price, if you don't mind saying?

Alternate.be EUR 399 (got 2, one for myself, one for a friend)

Required refreshing search sites a lot and a bit of luck

JoyPad wrote: »
    I would recommend the Fractal Design Define R5. Should tick all the boxes, if you're OK with two USB2.0 and two USB3.0 ports.

Thanks, at the moment looks like I'll be going with that

Advertisement