Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to change my meter to a Day/Night rate one - what steps do I need to take?

Options
  • 12-10-2017 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭

I am a BG electricity customer btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi NIMAN,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Just to advise: the day/night meter (or NightSaver) is not Electric Ireland specific. A customer of any electricity company can change a 24-hour ESB Networks meter to a NightSaver one. Just contact your electricity provider to organise this.

For some general pieces of information: it is free to have a NightSaver meter installed, however there is a cost to have it removed. At the moment, the night unit rate comes into effect from midnight until 9am. When the clocks go back later this month, this will change to 11pm to 8am.

If you are interested in Electric Ireland, here are the details for those who are thinking of switching.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for that Una, I'll get on to BG

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Have two old meters one 24 hours and a storage 
    want to get a day/night smartmeter and get rid of the storage heater meter is that possible ??

Have two old meters one 24 hours and a storage 
    want to get a day/night smartmeter and get rid of the storage heater meter is that possible ??
    Hi crossmolinalad,

Thank you for getting in touch.

The Smart Meter roll-out is set to commence in 2019. It will involve ESB Networks replacing the existing ESB meters at residential and business premises, irrespective of which billing company the MPRN is registered with at the time.

If you are an Electric Ireland customer and wish to have a day/night meter installed to replace your 24-hour meter before then, contact Electric Ireland Customer Service on 1850 372 999 to arrange this. In order to maximise value from the day/night meter, it is required to concentrate as much usage as possible during when the night rate is in effect. So it is ideal for storage heaters.

We need to advise that there is a charge (for ESB Networks) to have a night storage heater meter removed.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

We need to advise that there is a charge (for ESB Networks) to have a night storage heater meter removed

Understand that but looked at the ESB site but cant find anything about the costs of removing 
    And if I go ahead with it my meters are inside the house at the moment , do they stay inside of do they remove them and place them outside??
    Don't want to have those costs added on my account its not my house

• Advertisement

We need to advise that there is a charge (for ESB Networks) to have a night storage heater meter removed

Understand that but looked at the ESB site but cant find anything about the costs of removing 
    And if I go ahead with it my meters are inside the house at the moment , do they stay inside of do they remove them and place them outside??
    Don't want to have those costs added on my account its not my house
    Hi crossmolinalad,

The cost of removing a night storage heater meter is approximately EUR200. The standing charge for a night storage heater meter is approximately 3 cent per day. If the night storage heater meter is not being used, this is the only cost.

Usually a replacement meter would be fitted in the same place as the previous meter, however if you contact ESB Networks on 1850 372 757, they may be able to advise further.

The Smart Meter roll-out will involve ESB Networks automatically replacing the existing ESB meters, without the customer having to request it.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement