Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind power

Options
  • 12-10-2017 6:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious and there seems to be some serious maths head on the forum

If I am cycling at 30kmph into a 30kmph headwind what speed does that bring the headwind up to? been out a good few time in something similar and the headwind (without gusting) feels a lot stronger like 2x stronger. Not too good on the math end of things so just trying to quantify the feeling :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

IIRC the apparent wind speed doubles to 60kmph, but the effort required to overcome the increased wind resistance quadruples. That's because your profile into the wind is a two dimensional surface, so the resistance increases as the square of the increase in the resistance force.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Borderfox wrote: »
    Just curious and there seems to be some serious maths head on the forum

If I am cycling at 30kmph into a 30kmph headwind what speed does that bring the headwind up to? been out a good few time in something similar and the headwind (without gusting) feels a lot stronger like 2x stronger. Not too good on the math end of things so just trying to quantify the feeling :)

The apparent wind speed to the rider will be 60km/hr, the problem is that as wind resistance (the effective wind speed in your face) doubles the power needed to maintain a constant speed quadruples, so the figures don't be long ramping up.

To use your example above, on a calm day at 30km/hr a rider might be putting out 175watts, into a 30km/hr headwind that rises to over 500watts. All figures from the Bike Calculator, try putting some figures in and sliding the red dot back and forth to get an idea for yourself.

http://bikecalculator.com/what.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

That's a great calculator, thanks for the responses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess it's easiest to use aviation terms - ground speed and airspeed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i guess it's easiest to use aviation terms - ground speed and airspeed?

I think that relates more to extra distance that must be travelled at altitude due curvature on the earth. Doesn't really relate to bike unless you have you're saddle really high ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

smacl wrote: »
    I think that relates more to extra distance that must be travelled at altitude due curvature on the earth. Doesn't really relate to bike unless you have you're saddle really high ;)

No. Airspeed is the relative speed of an aircraft through the airflow and ground speed is the speed it is moving over the ground, so it's an accurate analogy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No. Airspeed is the relative speed of an aircraft through the airflow and ground speed is the speed it is moving over the ground, so it's an accurate analogy

My bad, every day's a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's very simple, if you are cycling at 30kmph into a 30kmph headwind, that means your net speed is 0mph, and you fall over, or do a trackstand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're cycling forwards at 30km/h on a treadmill moving backwards at 30km/h, and it's sitting on a truck driving forwards at 30km/h, and a fan is blowing into your face at 30km/h, but there's a 30km/h tailwind, how fast are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zen0 wrote: »
    IIRC the apparent wind speed doubles to 60kmph, but the effort required to overcome the increased wind resistance quadruples. That's because your profile into the wind is a two dimensional surface, so the resistance increases as the square of the increase in the resistance force.

Careful now.

The drag force of the headwind quadruples with a doubling of air speed, but the energy requirements are determined by force x distance, and the power requirements are determined by force x ground speed.

For this reason cycling at 30kph into a 30kph headwind is NOT the same as cycling at 60kph with no headwind. Otherwise, there would be an amount of headwind at which you can't cycle forwards at all, and that is not true. Theoretically you can cycle into a 200kph headwind, just very, very slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I ca
    Lumen wrote: »
    Zen0 wrote: »

Careful now.

The drag force of the headwind quadruples with a doubling of air speed, but the energy requirements are determined by force x distance, and the power requirements are determined by force x ground speed.

For this reason cycling at 30kph into a 30kph headwind is NOT the same as cycling at 60kph with no headwind. Otherwise, there would be an amount of headwind at which you can't cycle forwards at all, and that is not true. Theoretically you can cycle into a 200kph headwind, just very, very slowly.
    You think? I want to see someone manage to cycle forwards into a headwind of say, 370kmh.  I'd say there are both theoretical and practical limits.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm volunteering Beaker for this experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

When I'm cycling into a headwind at 30kph I wish strava would re-calculate my average speed to show there was no headwind :rolleyes:

el tel wrote: »
    You think? I want to see someone manage to cycle forwards into a headwind of say, 370kmh.  I'd say there are both theoretical and practical limits.
    Practically the problem is (I think) going to be that the centre of pressure is higher than the rear wheel skewer, so at some point you flip over backwards. :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

d7109be769a151fb3bfcc3154e33505a.jpg

I ca

it's just about getting *really* aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

I ca

You think? I want to see someone manage to cycle forwards into a headwind of say, 370kmh. I'd say there are both theoretical and practical limits.

Dutch are all over this...
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/watch-riders-battle-100kph-winds-dutch-headwind-championships-301112

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This is one reason for buying a power meter, you can look at your power into the headwind and feel happy as apposed to looking at your speed and feeling depressed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is it 42???

tuxy wrote: »
    This is one reason for buying a power meter, you can look at your power into the headwind and feel happy depressed as apposed to looking at your speed and feeling depressed.
    Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

1xhyc1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

if you're cycling forwards at 30km/h on a treadmill moving backwards at 30km/h, and it's sitting on a truck driving forwards at 30km/h, and a fan is blowing into your face at 30km/h, but there's a 30km/h tailwind, how fast are you going?

Depends on what colour your bike is and what you are smoking. Can I have some? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

At 30kph in still air, I would be putting out about 180watts. If I take that mighty wattage out in a 370kph wind, apparently I could manage 0.25kph. At 30kph I would typically using at 50/19 combination. All I'd need to for the 370kph wind would be a 50/2280 - so I could still look cool at 90rpm.

This is where things could start to get tricky. A 2280 ring would probably be around 10m in diameter so I wouldn't be able to reach the handlebars and I'd be a bit worried that rear wheel of that size would get blown around a bit. I am also pretty bad at trackstands so I wouldn't be over confident of my balance at that sort of speed.

Maybe a day for the wimp list.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This is where things could start to get tricky. A 2280 ring would probably be around 10m in diameter so I wouldn't be able to reach the handlebars and I'd be a bit worried that rear wheel of that size would get blown around a bit. I am also pretty bad at trackstands so I wouldn't be over confident of my balance at that sort of speed.

Maybe a day for the wimp list.

You could have one of those systems they had where your rear cog that you push is actually spinning a larger cog at the same rotational speed, which in turn is spinning a really small cog on the wheel (you could add a few more steps in to increase this). The bike would weigh a ton though and the power to get it to move would be colossal.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You could have one of those systems they had where your rear cog that you push is actually spinning a larger cog at the same rotational speed, which in turn is spinning a really small cog on the wheel (you could add a few more steps in to increase this). The bike would weigh a ton though and the power to get it to move would be colossal.

1473792656-147mph4-1473698413034-11mf4ecpctoou-630-80.jpg

Source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a22837/world-speed-record-riding-a-bicycle-147-mph/

Advertisement