Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POP3 server intermittently fails to respond - looking for reasons

Options
  • 12-10-2017 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I have been using Outlook to read my eircom pop3 email for years. I have three @eircom.net addresses.
    Over the last month I find that quite often Outlook says it can't contact the incoming server. Sometimes this lasts for an hour or more. Other times a retry fixes it.
    If the problem happens and I go directly with a browser to Webmail, that always works.
    Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and could shed light on the cause.
    G.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Definitely had the same issues as you recently, but tbh thats nothing new, been going on for years and years. 

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭gerdalt

So, live with it is what you are saying :(
    I guess, no longer being an Eircom customer, I can't really complain.
    G.

gerdalt wrote: »
    So, live with it is what you are saying :(
    I guess, no longer being an Eircom customer, I can't really complain.
    G.
    I am an Eir customer always have been but it makes no difference. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm having this problem too in the last month or so. Been fine for years.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Perhaps the Reps would comment.
    Please!
    G.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the Reps would comment.
    Please!
    G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

I have been using Outlook to read my eircom pop3 email for years. I have three @eircom.net addresses.
    Over the last month I find that quite often Outlook says it can't contact the incoming server. Sometimes this lasts for an hour or more. Other times a retry fixes it.
    If the problem happens and I go directly with a browser to Webmail, that always works.
    Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and could shed light on the cause.
    G.
    Hi gerdalt,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues logging into your account. Can you ensure that incoming server is set to webmail.eircom.net and your outgoing server is set to mail1.eircom.net please? If you still experience issues after doing this, our web support team will be able to help you if you send them an email. Their email address is wmsupport@eir.ie. If you're having issues sending them an email from your eir email address, you can contact them from an alternative email address.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

- Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »
    G.
    Hi gerdalt,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues logging into your account. Can you ensure that incoming server is set to webmail.eircom.net and your outgoing server is set to mail1.eircom.net please? If you still experience issues after doing this, our web support team will be able to help you if you send them an email. Their email address is wmsupport@eir.ie. If you're having issues sending them an email from your eir email address, you can contact them from an alternative email address.

- Adam
    Last time I tried to deal with eir via email it ended up with me putting in a complaint to comreg because I didn't get an answer. The answer after contacting comreg was sorry we are too busy to sort out problems sent in by email.

If anyone does get useful from wmsupport@eir.ie please post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

my3cents wrote: »
    G.
    Hi gerdalt,

- Adam
    Last time I tried to deal with eir via email it ended up with me putting in a complaint to comreg because I didn't get an answer. The answer after contacting comreg was sorry we are too busy to sort out problems sent in by email.

Hi,

I'm afraid you would need to follow the instructions outlined by Adam to have this issue looked into. 

- Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭swoofer

Same problem here and its only started happening recently and settings are as described above.  I am with eir!!

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    G.
    Hi gerdalt,

- Adam

Hi,

I'm afraid you would need to follow the instructions outlined by Adam to have this issue looked into. 

- Tracey
    And if anyone doesn't get a reply then get on to comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    The server name has recently changed. Previously the server was webmail.eircom.net and now it is webmail.eir.ie.

POP3
    webmail.eir.ie and Port 995 (SSL secure POP3)

Personally I use the better IMAP4 (for the folder structure under your inbox)
    webmail.eir.ie and Port 993 (SSL/TLS)

IMAP4 works for me in both the Android stock email app and Thunderbird. POP3 for checking Eircom email via Gmail. (Gmail only support POP3).

EDIT:
    POP3 pulls the email from the inbox only and removes it from the server (unless you say otherwise)
    IMAP4 keeps the email on the server and your client holds a cached copy. Set schedule in client for refresh. Shows folder structure and contents of them. Delete emails from folders on the client will also delete from the server if sync'd back. Sync can update inbox and all folders (if set to).

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    The server name has recently changed. Previously the server was webmail.eircom.net and now it is webmail.eir.ie.

POP3

IMAP4 works for me in both the Android stock email app and Thunderbird. POP3 for checking Eircom email via Gmail. (Gmail only support POP3).

EDIT:
    POP3 pulls the email from the inbox only and removes it from the server (unless you say otherwise)
    IMAP4 keeps the email on the server and your client holds a cached copy. Set schedule in client for refresh. Shows folder structure and contents of them. Delete emails from folders on the client will also delete from the server if sync'd back. Sync can update inbox and all folders (if set to).

Regards
    Looks like you cracked it - well done and thank you. Changing from webmail.eircom.net to webmail.eir.ie worked perfectly.

Strangely, Eir website still showing webmail.eircom.net which isn't working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

1dave123 wrote: »
    MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^

POP3

EDIT:

Regards
    Looks like you cracked it - well done and thank you. Changing from webmail.eircom.net to webmail.eir.ie worked perfectly.

Strangely, Eir website still showing webmail.eircom.net which isn't working properly.
    Seems they made some server changes to reflect the new name 'Eir' a while back but didn't inform anyone, update their website or tell Eir support... As such I noticed a few weeks ago that I could no longer get Gmail to retrieve Eircom emails via the original server address. I finally twigged that webmail.eircom.net redirects to https://www.eir.ie/email/ which when you login changes to the new server https://webmail.eir.ie

Thanks for all that.
    Now, as if by magic, the pop3 server is working reliably again.
    Haven't had a failure in four days.
    So, someone has fixed something :)
    G.

Advertisement