Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged twice by PayPal

Options
  • 12-10-2017 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a question on behalf of my wife and I know you won’t be able to discuss specific account information. She bought something online using her Visa Debit card via PayPal. Her bank account is showing she was charged twice. We checked her PayPal account and the transaction is only there once, she also contacted PayPal and they confirmed the seller only received one payment. Is it possible for her to chargeback one of the transactions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

This might be tinfoil hat territory, but I'm very wary of using Visa Debit to pay online, mainly as it is debited from your current account (i.e. your cash).  I'm not sure if you get the same sort of protections you get using a credit card, but at least with the credit card, your current account wont be impacted immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

As per Arthur, the second debit will probably fall off after a few days.  To be honest I have come to the conclusion that Visa Debit (as implemented by BOI) is not fit for purpose.  I must be one of, if not the biggest source of queries and complaints BOI receives.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Every bank has shadow postings like this tbh. It should fall back into the account after a couple of days. Inconvenient but seems to be a visa issue as a whole. Usually happens when a transaction times out or something is refreshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks for the replies.  My wife called into our local branch and they said one of the transactions is pending and should fall off after a couple of days.  There's no indication on her BOI online that it's pending :( very annoying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

We are sorry to hear this.

The transactions should adjust itself within 3-5 working days.

This transaction should appear in the account holders "transactions in progress" on the 365 online.

This would indicate that the transaction is pending on the account.  

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Advertisement
Advertisement