Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi extender and mobile hotspot

Options
  • 12-10-2017 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Not the best technically so bear with me. My kids want the new ps4 for xmas. However wifi is not available in our area:mad:. I use my mobile hotspot for internet. If u used a tp links Wifi extender, will that boost my hotspot.

So what i mean i suppose is, can the extender be connected to my hotspot to allow online gaming on the ps4.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depending on which TP link you're talking about, yes it could.

BUT, its a bad idea
    - PS4 will decimate your cap, one game update can be 30-40GB
    - Latency will make online gaming a very poor experience in most areas unless they want to game at 6AM

If no fixed line is available then look into fixed wireless providers using this map:
    irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried all the providers before. Just bad luck where i live.
    Have you any other suggestions of things to try

What provider are you with?

Three. unlimited data

Contention will vary from area to area but I'd get a second *phone* SIM and a B593 from Amazon/Ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jrobertos wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Not the best technically so bear with me. My kids want the new ps4 for xmas. However wifi is not available in our area:mad:. I use my mobile hotspot for internet. If u used a tp links Wifi extender, will that boost my hotspot.

So what i mean i suppose is, can the extender be connected to my hotspot to allow online gaming on the ps4.

Thanks..

id also update the ps4 and what ever games you are getting it before christmas morning. on your connection it could take hours. bring it to a friends house and update it. so at least its ready to play for them without waiting for hours for updates.

Thats perfect. Thanks for that

back again.  how would i actually go about connecting the wifi extender to my mobile hotspot.
    Model is TL-WA860RE
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

jrobertos wrote: »
    back again.  how would i actually go about connecting the wifi extender to my mobile hotspot.
    Model is TL-WA860RE
    thanks

I dont think you can as the normal setup is by using a wps connection button on a router to connected them but with a mobile phone i dont think you will are or have this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just enter same security info into the extender as used with the hotspot. This means same encryption type, same AP name, same password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wonder1

Hi Guys,
    Just looking to ask a related question to the above, so hoping you can help me out.
    Is there a device I can get that will boost my hotspot strength?

I need to connect a scanner to the internet in lots of different rural places, sometimes the 3G isnt strong enough. Can I get some sort of device that can 'boost' the 3G signal to say, 4G strength, when I am in areas of poor reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Common mistake people make thinking that extenders will boost internet speed

wonder1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Just looking to ask a related question to the above, so hoping you can help me out.
    Is there a device I can get that will boost my hotspot strength?

I need to connect a scanner to the internet in lots of different rural places, sometimes the 3G isnt strong enough. Can I get some sort of device that can 'boost' the 3G signal to say, 4G strength, when I am in areas of poor reception?

In a car? Omni 3G antenna on the roof might improve your mileage a bit.

Advertisement