Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Ophelia

Options
  • 12-10-2017 9:29am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It is early days yet and may just turn out to be a wet and windy day, but as things stand Ophelia is a Cat 1 hurricane and is projected to be over Ireland, without loosing too much strength, by Monday. If you are anywhere in Munster or Connacht, in particular, you need to prepare for this event.

DL6Zwk0VQAAFqmv.jpg:medium

024405_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

NB, add 5 hours to get local time for these charts.

This is a reliable thread to follow and by early Saturday morning we should clear of how bad it will be, or how much it will miss us by.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not that much I can do really. The food stocks should really get an upgrade and sort out, just about got to the stage where a few of the BBD are a bit of an embarrassment, but we have loads of fuel, cookers and lighting that doesn't need electricity, bottle water and mains water that usually lasts a good few days after the mains is cut off.

Tomorrow I'll check everything that needs to be is nailed down and put some big ground anchors in to strap the chicken runs down to and move any stuff that might get caught if we get a flood then its just sit back and wait. Hmmmm think I might pop out and get a few beers in just in case :)

I'll also see our nearest downwind neighbors and check they don't have anything left loose that could end up projected our way. I put a load of garden furniture they had left out one year when they were on holiday and as soon as they got back they called the Guards because they thought it had been stolen :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not often you see an American hurricane advisory warning people in Ireland!

DL_KmVSWAAARRwQ.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interesting reading for the last time a Hurricane proper hit Ireland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Debbie_(1961)#Republic_of_Ireland

I was not far off the middle of the famous Micheal Fish there won't be a storm in October 1987 and we are in serious trouble if we get something similar.

One thing I've just found myself doing which I've not done before is go around the house and make sure everything that has rechargeable batteries are fully charged including power tools. Overthinking it a bit I know but if the power goes out for a couple of days and I need to make any repairs I can at least start out with a set of tools with fully charged batteries.

Edit> One thing I nearly forgot to put on charge and put a clean memory card in was the camera(s). You never know it might be a disaster you want to photograph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

When I checked it earlier it's started to pick up speed and gone to cat2, the projected course is not too good for western counties, could be really bad for some near the center...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

my3cents wrote: »
    One thing I've just found myself doing which I've not done before is go around the house and make sure everything that has rechargeable batteries are fully charged including power tools. Overthinking it a bit I know but if the power goes out for a couple of days and I need to make any repairs I can at least start out with a set of tools with fully charged batteries.

Edit> One thing I nearly forgot to put on charge and put a clean memory card in was the camera(s). You never know it might be a disaster you want to photograph.

Not over thinking at all. Just preparing well.

You know what they say, train hard fight easy....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

O/T but apt? 'Ophelia' by The Band from 'The Last Waltz'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4RjqcTsxx-8

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any idea what direction the wind will be blowing? Need to nail down a few items but would like them behind walls etc for extra cover?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any idea what direction the wind will be blowing? Need to nail down a few items but would like them behind walls etc for extra cover?

All directions thats the problem. Check where you are in relation to the current met maps and imagine the wind going anti clockwise around the center of the storm as it moves over to get a better idea.

The 5 day Atlantic forecast is an easy one to give you a bit of an idea what I mean http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-atlantic.asp .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Incoming storm gave me the kick up the arse I needed over the weekend. Topped up solid fuels supplies, water supplies, changed battery’s in lamps & cameras etc, repaired garden fence and removed all loose items bins etc and put into garage. Changed seals on all my windows and doors to stop cold breezes so happy out!!

Been working since Friday, yep needed the kick up the arse!

You would not believe the amount of stuff floating around our garden (about an acre). We still have a few things to do. Wife has a load of plants to sort out and I've got to rig up something to stop our chicken runs being blow over.

The supplies bit is the easiest part for us but we have so many things that could be damaged by the storms including most of the garden I dread to think what will happen.

I spent the afternoon taking down an old willow tree that was slowly falling over into the river, I was worried it might drop a bit further and then either the sea coming up or a load of storm water going down would rip it out of the bank. Turns out it was a job well done as when I got the chainsaw into the base of it I found it was hollow with only about 2 inches of good timber around a stem nearly 2 foot through.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

Last of the preparation done this afternoon.
    Wheelie bins tied together with a ratchet strap. These in turn are strapped to metal bin filled with water. That lot ain't budging.

Ratchet straps are a seriously useful item :)

I am sooo bored now......when is this stupid thing coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

barometer needle still dropping and the wind is getting v severe,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Everyone get out the other side?

Not much happened on the Dublin region in the end (thankfully). No preps needed, but the garden looks better after the cleaning up it got :D

Esel wrote: »
    O/T but apt? 'Ophelia' by The Band from 'The Last Waltz'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4RjqcTsxx-8

Listen to this at your leisure now. :)

Not your ornery onager

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Not much happened on the Dublin region in the end (thankfully). No preps needed, but the garden looks better after the cleaning up it got :D

Mine is a mess, every tree in the neighbourhood is cleaned this morning and majority seems to headed in my direction

Garden is a total mess, no damage to the house, barn sheds or chicken run but half the beach has been dumped on the garden and we've lost most of our trees :(

Trying to do shift at least 10 barrow loads of stones a day and need a nice dry day asap (just wasn't in the mood today) to do some tree surgery work on one tree at the entrance which could fall across the drive and gates. Yes, I was a tree surgeon in another life long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

goat2 wrote: »
    barometer needle still dropping and the wind is getting v severe,

We enjoyed watching the wind change direction during the day. Easterly early on then moved right around 180 deg and more. Matched perfectly with what we were being shown in the charts.

I'll have a barometer for next time to add to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Esel wrote: »
    Listen to this at your leisure now. :)

Can I stop now my ears are bleeding!!

elperello wrote: »
    Can I stop now my ears are bleeding!!

Wash them, and your mouth, out with soap! :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement