Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour temp setting

• 12-10-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to have some bulbs come on in cool white during daylight hours but warm white at night time. I'm aware that it's possible to change the colour temperature of some smart bulbs but this seems to be done via an app. I'd like for the system to either sense the light outside or let me set the time for the changeover. So as all I had to do then is operate the light switch as usual.
    In other words I want the colour change to be unnoticeable to the day to day user of the light switch.
    Any systems do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is actually harder to do then you might imagine. You can sort of do it with Philips Hue.

First of all you can do it with the Hue motion sensor. It can turn on the lights when it detects movement, setting different moods depending on the time of day or the light level using it's built in light sensor.

You can sort of do it with the Hue dimmer switches and the iConnectHue app on iOS. You can set the on button on the switch to switch on different moods depending on if it is before or after sunset (which is a built in default setting of the bridge).

If the light is already on you can transition to a different mood at different times of the day. But I think the light has to be on.

What you can't do is just use the normal light switch and have this work. Turning on the normal light switch always sets the light to it's default, 100% brightness.

Advertisement