Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transcribing Interviews for a Dissertation

Options
  • 12-10-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I am a former drop out that has gone back to finish off my Degree. All that I have left to do is my dissertation which I am getting through quickly enough. I am doing my primary research for the dissertation through interviews which I am just about to start.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good apps for an iPad which will simultaneously record the audio and transcribe the interview. I have a couple of apps which will record the interview which I can then transcribe manually, and I have found a couple of apps which will transcribe the text during the interview (with a fair whack of errors), but I am yet to find one that combines the two.

I am looking for an app that will transcribe the interview and that I can subsequently listen back to the audio of the interview to correct any transcription errors. It's pretty specific and I can imagine expensive. I am dreading the transcribing due to my poor typing!

If anyone has any input (other than just transcribe it manually!), I am open to suggestions.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You are wasting your time looking for an app that will accurately transcribe for you, the technology simply isn't there yet. I've looked into it at length for my own studies.

So as you don't want to transcribe, the next best option is to have it transcribed by a transcription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conor_g85

Thanks, Tom. You are probably right. Although, the iPad pre-installed dictation is fairly handy, it just doesn't record the audio. Anyway, the amount of time spent trying to find the perfect non-existent app would probably be enough to manually transcribe a good chunk of the data. I don't know if I will spring for the professional service, a few coffees and long hours are probably worth saving the cash. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement