Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CCTV

Options
  • 12-10-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Bit of a dilemma , right currently my parents are getting house renovations with nearly a new rewire involved and are getting CCTV installed .
    Got a price from a well know company and they agreed on a 6 camera system.
    They rang my parents today and asked when the electrician would have the cables done so that they could start installing the cameras and alarm....parents mentioned this to the electrician and he never agreed to do the cables and is nearly finished job and has another job to start on Monday....
    My parents presumed the security company would be doing all there own wiring for alarm and cameras.
    Surely it’s the responsibility of the security company to wire the house for the alarm and camera?
    Security company now saying they don’t have a electrician available for another 3 weeks or more as they presumed our electrician was doing the wires...
    So who is in the right and what is the normal process?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The installation company ' presumed ', that is not too professional, is it?

Was this a verbal quote or was it written out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd have thought the security company would have told you to organise your electrician to install the cables. Does your sparks have any contact he could get to take over the work wiring the cables? It's not that big a job and shouldn't take too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Effects wrote: »
    I'd have thought the security company would have told you to organise your electrician to install the cables. Does your sparks have any contact he could get to take over the work wiring the cables? It's not that big a job and shouldn't take too long.
    Never said a word we just presumed they would have own installers...we got both jobs priced individually and taught cabling was included in CCTV price...
    Trying now to organise someone for a half days work next week to do it...very hard at moment to get anyone to do a small job..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Sounds like there was zero communication between all parties here. It would of been ideal if the sparks had of ran whats needed at the time but if they didnt know then its not their fault.

Running whatever cable is needed shouldnt be a big deal depending of course on access. It must be some size of a house if it needs 6 cameras.

alta stare wrote: »
    Sounds like there was zero communication between all parties here. It would of been ideal if the sparks had of ran whats needed at the time but if they didnt know then its not their fault.

Running whatever cable is needed shouldnt be a big deal depending of course on access. It must be some size of a house if it needs 6 cameras.
    There was a site meeting where we taught everyone was in agreement of what was needed to be done ...wires crossed somewhere (pardon the pun)
    It’s a big older hous....front gate camera as well .
    They will down sizing in a few years as house is a tad to big now ...so just modernising the house a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Harr, licensed CCTV installers are supposed to give you a specification as per PSA 2006 standards.

Did they furnish you with that?

kub wrote: »
    Harr, licensed CCTV installers are supposed to give you a specification as per PSA 2006 standards.

Did they furnish you with that?
    I don’t have a clue...will call up to mams tonight and go through the paper work to see if that was included...I cannot remember seeing anything like that ...it was a written quote on company paper work is all I think she got..

harr wrote: »
    There was a site meeting where we taught everyone was in agreement of what was needed to be done ...wires crossed somewhere (pardon the pun)
    It’s a big older hous....front gate camera as well .
    They will down sizing in a few years as house is a tad to big now ...so just modernising the house a little.

I doubt it will be an issue for whoever runs the cables so hopefully ye can sort it soon. What cables are ye using?

I doubt it will be an issue for whoever runs the cables so hopefully ye can sort it soon. What cables are ye using?
    I think I seen category six mentioned on the quote,would that be right?

I think I seen category six mentioned on the quote,would that be right?

So they are IP cameras. That must be working out at a substantial cost. Do you know what system it is?

• Advertisement

So they are IP cameras. That must be working out at a substantial cost. Do you know what system it is?
    No idea what system it ? yes they will be ip cameras and monitored alarm ...4 on house , one in the end yard and in the gate ...
    Unfortunately they have had 3 unwelcome visitors over the last few months and have had all garden equipment stolen and an attempt at next doors caravan...so are fairly nervous at moment.
    Renovations were planned anyway so they decided on the extra security while the building work was on going..
    I can check what system tomorrow..,

No idea what system it ? yes they will be ip cameras and monitored alarm ...4 on house , one in the end yard and in the gate ...
    Unfortunately they have had 3 unwelcome visitors over the last few months and have had all garden equipment stolen and an attempt at next doors caravan...so are fairly nervous at moment.
    Renovations were planned anyway so they decided on the extra security while the building work was on going..
    I can check what system tomorrow..,

Yeah plenty of them types around. Put some promenent cctv signange around too hopefully it will deter them sh!ts from entering the property again. Oh and a big dog helps too :D

Advertisement