Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still put your leaving cert results on your CV?

• 12-10-2017 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I was just looking over a CV for a friend who wants some advice. She's in her forties, with lots of experience relevant to the job she's going for, plus has gone on loads of training courses also related to her area of work. She still had her leaving cert results listed and I suggested that they're no longer really relevant.

But it just made me wonder at what point people tend to stop putting them on CVs and job applications?
    I think I only bothered for the first few years after leaving school when I still didn't have much in the way of experience or qualifications.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I've never put leaving results on a CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Not the results themselves, just that i sat the exams and the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I do, but I'm considering removing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I got a bronze medal in the egg and spoon race during the sports day in June 1986. Definitely CV worthy.

Yes, although with less emphasis than I did when I started out as a graduate (I'm 30).

As a general rule of thumb, if you did well in the Leaving Cert, keep a brief summary of your results on there until you've clocked up 2 pages of more relevant achievements.

As an extension of that, if you're still talking about your Leaving Cert results by the time you're 40, you probably don't have many work-performance achievements behind you, and may want to look into that.

If you did badly in the Leaving Cert, just drop it altogether and focus on other achievements. Nobody will be too concerned, unless you're still in college or are very young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Same as this.

I just put my Leaving, degree and post grad, the year and where I got them. I think I put my Leaving Cert results for my part time job in college but that was it. It would also take up tonnes of space and I already struggle keeping it on two pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was just looking over a CV for a friend who wants some advice. She's in her forties, with lots of experience relevant to the job she's going for, plus has gone on loads of training courses also related to her area of work. She still had her leaving cert results listed and I suggested that they're no longer really relevant.

But it just made me wonder at what point people tend to stop putting them on CVs and job applications?
    I think I only bothered for the first few years after leaving school when I still didn't have much in the way of experience or qualifications.

I did GCSEs and ALevels. First few years after I finished, I listed all the pass marks, then just mentioned the A-C GCSE grades and all the Alevels. Now its just the mentioned that I did them and when/where.

The fact that I finished my Alevels 20 years ago, and I have done further/third level since, means that they really mean nothing now. My Employment, and my work skills are are the emphasis now, along with the further/third level qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Have never even put the year. Just the school and results available on request.

Dropped it in my early twenties. It's not relevant at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

I am old enough to have more work experience on it, than anything else. I only list that I finished college in 2006. That should make it clear that I did the leaving cert. And by adding all the activities before college, the CV would get far too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I have friends who work in the Civil Service and everytime they go for a promotion they have to list their leaving cert results on the standard application form. It drives them mad. Most of them have degrees and professional qualifications at this stage, and their LC results are just not relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

I have friends who work in the Civil Service and everytime they go for a promotion they have to list their leaving cert results on the standard application form. It drives them mad. Most of them have degrees and professional qualifications at this stage, and their LC results are just not relevant.

That's a problem that occurs very often, the application forms are one size fits all, no matter if you are fresh from school or close to retirement, and you have to enter everything, even if it makes no sense anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

34 years old. Living in the UK since 2011. BSc. Multiple industry certifications.

No. Need the space for actual useful/relevant info.

If you're under 21 and going for your first "serious" job or a third level/training course then yes. But after that it's not necessary, just say where you were educated, when, "up to leaving cert level", and can provide results on request. Once you have a few years experience or higher qualifications under your belt no one is interested in your leaving cert, it's only to get you started in life.

The only time any employer would actually question anything is if you were to let's say claim you got an A+ in honours English, be hired in a role that requires strong written communication skills, and then have them discover you have absolutely no command of grammar and spelling. Or claim a high grade in French but draw a complete blank the moment a French customer walks in the door. That sort of thing. Other than that no one is interested in digging back that far for a candidate past their early 20's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Harika wrote: »
    That's a problem that occurs very often, the application forms are one size fits all, no matter if you are fresh from school or close to retirement, and you have to enter everything, even if it makes no sense anymore.

It is pretty daft, when you have reached a certain stage of life. I would have to sit down and think, and try and remember all my secondary school and 6th form qualifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I don't remember my Leaving Cert results. I don't think I even have a copy of them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

After 17 years of work, I usually don't put any education on the CV anymore - I'm at the point where I'm starting to drop the first couple of jobs I had as well, as they're hardly relevant to the market of today.

Have to say that working in software engineering, things become outdated way quicker than in some other professional lines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No. It would seem daft listing my C in ordinary level biology from 1995 when going for a finance job in 2017. I keep my CV to 2 pages so space is a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I don't remember my Leaving Cert results. I don't think I even have a copy of them anymore.

I did my LC 20 years ago. Got a job in the civil service a couple of years ago and after the interview etc, they requested a copy of my LC results. Lucky I had them in a box. They only gave 5 working days to return the proof of LC results and degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I did my LC 20 years ago. Got a job in the civil service a couple of years ago and after the interview etc, they requested a copy of my LC results. Lucky I had them in a box. They only gave 5 working days to return the proof of LC results and degree.

A nice little earner for the 'service'. Think it's €14.50 to request a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

no way at 40+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

No I'm 40 and have three degrees.

LC results no longer relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have not done that since I was 22.

I have 2 degrees now, so thankfully that's all I need, plus my 2 Previous Jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Haven't mentioned my leaving cert on my CV since I was about thirty. Job/work experience courses & Uni yes, all mentioned in detail, but my leaving cert - No.

The LC becomes less & less relevant the older you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have just "Leaving Certificate" and the year and school. Nothing more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They were probably on the very first versions of my CV many years ago. But now, my education section lists my B.Sc. Ph.D. and other professional quals that I've acquired since. I think you can infer I sat some form of the Leaving from the fact that I went to university :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

nah

just LC, year and school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I'm 35 and living in central Europe. No reference to the LC whatsoever. Degree gets one line near the bottom. Tend not to list hobbies / interests either.

In one role I had, I did have access to a lot of CVs. I was astounded to see people putting things like "playstation" under hobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Dropped it in my early twenties. It's not relevant at all.

Exactly!
    It can be used up to then to pad/blow your cv out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I did ****ing awful in the Leaving Cert so there was no way I was ever putting down my results.

Never understood the need once you have proper qualifications/experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

brevity wrote: »
    Never understood the need once you have proper qualifications/experience.

I was rejected from a job once based on my leaving cert results despite having a directly relevant first class honours degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

valoren wrote: »
    I got a bronze medal in the egg and spoon race during the sports day in June 1986. Definitely CV worthy.

I heard the fellow who won second ended up testing positive for drugs as well. He was more about the spoon than the egg if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

For anyone over 30, LC results and College results are almost worthless.
    I just look at their work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No I'm 40 and have three degrees.

LC results no longer relevant

Precious moments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I was rejected from a job once based on my leaving cert results despite having a directly relevant first class honours degree.

Sounds like you dodge a bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

That is really daft. Apart from anything else, people change a lot after they leave school. A poor leaving cert might just mean that you were a bit of a messer back then, or that the school system didn't suit you. If you've gone on to prove that you're intelligent and have a genuine interest in and aptitude for the area of work you're applying for, your Leaving Cert should have no bearing at all on the matter.

they told you that?

hmmmm

maybe just a shoite interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have a First Class Honours degree and two Masters so no. But went to an interview recently and was asked to bring my Leaving Certificate results with me, plus bizarrely my baptismal certificate (Not my birth certificate!!). I happened to have my Leaving Certificate results, and also my degree and Masters scrolls, and a large statue I got for being Student of the Year. So I brought the whole lot and my passport and driving licence. All were photocopied including statue. I also had to pay for parking, and I didn't get the job!

I did a review of a friend's brother's cv recently which cracked me up. It was fine till after his Leaving Certificate but then had on 21 July 1998 he came second in the Leixlip Swimming competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have them on mine to fill out the page nicely, it was either that or the referees.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    they told you that?

hmmmm

maybe just a shoite interview?

Auto rejected by their software parameters. Didn't get an interview
    That is really daft. Apart from anything else, people change a lot after they leave school. A poor leaving cert might just mean that you were a bit of a messer back then, or that the school system didn't suit you. If you've gone on to prove that you're intelligent and have a genuine interest in and aptitude for the area of work you're applying for, your Leaving Cert should have no bearing at all on the matter.

Yeah all worked out in the end but it limited my options somewhat for a period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Auto rejected by their software parameters. Didn't get an interview

that. is. stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I turned down a nearly 100k job simply because the HR girl insisted that, even though they were headhunting me, I provide them with my LC results or they couldn't process me into the system. Any company that has those sorts of red tape simply isn't an environment I wanted to be involved with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

No, once I finished my degree I dropped it and just kept the Leaving Cert - Year format that others have mentioned. And were I to apply for a job now (I'm 32), I don't think I'd mention it at all. EDIT: (Actually just looked up the CV I used to apply for my current job four years ago and I didn't mention the Leaving Cert at all and my degree was just one line).
    I'm 35 and living in central Europe. No reference to the LC whatsoever. Degree gets one line near the bottom. Tend not to list hobbies / interests either.

In one role I had, I did have access to a lot of CVs. I was astounded to see people putting things like "playstation" under hobbies.
    I think a hobbies section is fine if you can make it relevant to the application. For example, I used the fact that I've had work published in a hobby-related magazine as evidence of my ability to write well and communicate clearly. Or if someone was involved in organising amateur cons, they could spin that into organisation and social skills, etc. But a section that looks like:
    • Walking the dog
    • Watching films
    • Going to concerts
    isn't very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To be honest, I can't even remember what my leaving cert results were.

Definitely not worth putting on if you're over 30 or so. Employers will need more relevant information and experience when choosing what's shaped a potential employee and they might not have time to wade through a lot of information.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I have a first class honours degree and I failed PASS MATHS in my LC in 1986. I shouldn't have been let in the door of school never mind university. To say I was a fck up is an understatement and no, I never put my LC results on my CV :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Doubt it makes any difference, but Im proud of them and worked hard for them so why not. Its one little bullet point that may help make a better impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JollyBustard

I've never had my results (for any education) listed on my CV, just what I've spent my time doing and where. Neither my degree (which I never officially completed) nor my LC results have any relevance in the field I've ended up in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Had the exact same happen, went to work elsewhere and three years later the same company contacted me through linkedin to see if I was interested in a new role. It was manager of the team I'd originally applied for. Some HR departments are just backwards and set in the stone age

• Advertisement
Advertisement