Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still put your leaving cert results on your CV?

2»

Comments

some people do look at these still as a measure of ability.
    if you did really well why not put them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

glasso wrote: »
    some people do look at these still as a measure of ability.
    if you did really well why not put them in.
    I did pretty well and I'm proud of my results, but realistically it's been 15 years since I did my leaving cert (:eek:) and I've done a lot more relevant things since. I would worry that after a certain length of time, recruiters would look at my LC results on my CV and say "Yeah, but have you done nothing recently?"

• Registered Users Posts: 31 alibaba2

No, only if they are specifically asked for.
    just include the school and the year I sat the leaving and junior cert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

duffman13 wrote: »
    Had the exact same happen, went to work elsewhere and three years later the same company contacted me through linkedin to see if I was interested in a new role. It was manager of the team I'd originally applied for. Some HR departments are just backwards and set in the stone age

It is what happens when HR get too many CVs. Easiest way to eliminate the majority is to put minimum requirements. Same as you I would walk into any of those places now.
    alibaba2 wrote: »
    and junior cert

Why??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Yes, although with less emphasis than I did when I started out as a graduate (I'm 30).

As a general rule of thumb, if you did well in the Leaving Cert, keep a brief summary of your results on there until you've clocked up 2 pages of more relevant achievements.

As an extension of that, if you're still talking about your Leaving Cert results by the time you're 40, you probably don't have many work-performance achievements behind you, and may want to look into that.

If you did badly in the Leaving Cert, just drop it altogether and focus on other achievements. Nobody will be too concerned, unless you're still in college or are very young.

where did these rules of thumb come out of?

if you're applying for a job from someone in a similar industry, then they're going to presume that if you went to college to do a course similar to what they did, then your LC results won't matter a damn to them.

the only thing that will matter is your qualification(s) and experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

"I got my Leaving"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I had a job interview recently where they asked me about my secondary school. I haven't been in secondary school for near 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Yep, I do. I'll be finished my Masters next year however, so I'll probably just cut the LC results down to a summary of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Noveight wrote: »
    Yep, I do. I'll be finished my Masters next year however, so I'll probably just cut the LC results down to a summary of sorts.
    I cut my Bachelors degree results down to a brief summary after I completed my Masters. No point at all including LC results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If she's in her 40s, I don't see how what she got in French in 1990 has any relevance to the world today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

valoren wrote: »
    I got a bronze medal in the egg and spoon race during the sports day in June 1986. Definitely CV worthy.

You also never mentioned that they rescinded the award as you were a big cheater. The video evidence showed you in fact had your big thumb on the spud in the final third of the race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I turned down a nearly 100k job simply because the HR girl insisted that, even though they were headhunting me, I provide them with my LC results or they couldn't process me into the system. Any company that has those sorts of red tape simply isn't an environment I wanted to be involved with.

Unless youre offered a lot of 100K jobs then thats stupid of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I have the fortunate position to being a hiring manger in a large multinational.

The one thing I love about the hiring philosophy is that they hire on track record. Masters or degrees mean nothing.

You need to display where you have excelled.
    Most degrees today are bogus anyways. In a previous job I collected 3 degrees, they were required as part of a services contract.

My time in DIT (twice) and DBS, reinforced my belief that education is about training people to be great at pub quizzes. Unless you have a good lecturer or teacher, you won’t learn anything about how to apply yourself.

Hiring people only with 3rd level education is often a cop out by the employer. They fear hiring a non educated person in case he doesn’t work out. At least with a degree they can say “he had a degree, he seemed good”

I bet so many responding here are the knobs who put their qualifications in there email
    Signature.....

Thanks,
    nabbered

BCs E-mail signatures, part time gardener, got an A in LC business.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nope.

I did my LC nigh on a quarter of a century ago. I went on to do a degree and a masters and PhD and gain years and years of work experience. It's the experience that counts in the end. Degrees are over-rated and I'm saying that as an academic and lecturer. From my experience third level exams are not marked as rigorously as when I started out and definitely not when I was a student myself. I believe there's been significant grade inflation in the LC as well since I sat it in 1993.

My former partner failed his LC in the 1980s and went on to earn a six figure salary. Why? Because he was/is excellent at his job.

Too many employers are reliant on degrees these days. But your LC results, unless you are 18/19 and going straight into a job from school, should not count for anything on a CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Yes, although with less emphasis than I did when I started out as a graduate (I'm 30)

If you have a degree, take your leaving cert off of your CV. It's dead space that nobody gives a feck about that could be used to sell attributes that actually matter.

• Advertisement

I was just looking over a CV for a friend who wants some advice. She's in her forties, with lots of experience relevant to the job she's going for, plus has gone on loads of training courses also related to her area of work. She still had her leaving cert results listed and I suggested that they're no longer really relevant.

But it just made me wonder at what point people tend to stop putting them on CVs and job applications?
    I think I only bothered for the first few years after leaving school when I still didn't have much in the way of experience or qualifications.

I never put them on CVs because they are simply irrelevant and wasting space. Work experience and/or professional/third level qualifications is all you should really put down where relevant with a brief bit about hobbies/ achievements

That said alot of civil service jobs still require leaving cert results. Its still a numbers game in many parts. Dublin isnt much better in terms of job availability in my area. A huge volume of candidates still applying for one job

Nabber wrote: »
    I have the fortunate position to being a hiring manger in a large multinational.

The one thing I love about the hiring philosophy is that they hire on track record. Masters or degrees mean nothing.

You need to display where you have excelled.
    Most degrees today are bogus anyways. In a previous job I collected 3 degrees, they were required as part of a services contract.

My time in DIT (twice) and DBS, reinforced my belief that education is about training people to be great at pub quizzes. Unless you have a good lecturer or teacher, you won’t learn anything about how to apply yourself.

Hiring people only with 3rd level education is often a cop out by the employer. They fear hiring a non educated person in case he doesn’t work out. At least with a degree they can say “he had a degree, he seemed good”

I bet so many responding here are the knobs who put their qualifications in there email
    Signature.....

Thanks,
    nabbered

I find that my lack of relevant work experience is coming against me so much so that ive applied to do a CE scheme to obtain some.
    A recruitment agency informed me the other day its a lottery in most parts for my field of choice. Im a business graduate going for admin jobs mostly and that you need every string to your bow but i think employers favour someone with experience even if they are stone useless that they dont have to invest the same amount of time and money in training over someone fresh out of college.

valoren wrote: »
    I got a bronze medal in the egg and spoon race during the sports day in June 1986. Definitely CV worthy.

Ill see your winning the egg and spoon race and raise you winning a wheelbarrow race in style back in school sports day June 1995 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Nabber wrote: »

I bet so many responding here are the knobs who put their qualifications in there email Signature.....

Thanks,
    nabbered

They took you on for your spelling ability, did they? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I find that my lack of relevant work experience is coming against me so much so that ive applied to do a CE scheme to obtain some.
    A recruitment agency informed me the other day its a lottery in most parts for my field of choice. Im a business graduate going for admin jobs mostly and that you need every string to your bow but i think employers favour someone with experience even if they are stone useless that they dont have to invest the same amount of time and money in training over someone fresh out of college.
    You have no way of knowing if someone else is "stone cold useless". If another candidate has experience and references, they are much less likely than a college leaver who never bothered to get experience in the summers or internships of being "stone cold useless".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Once you have third level qualification then it doesn't matter. In certain industries it's all I worked in blah blah and they give you a trial and if you gel with the team you get a job. Knowing people and references plus a bit of college education and the world is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I've been in the public sector for 10 years and every single application form I've filled out has required a breakdown of LC results, despite getting a degree since. It's bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm 32 and am in the process of changing jobs. I didn't have my LC results on my CV, and when I was speaking to a recruiter she asked what my results were and I told her and she said they should definitely be on my CV. I take everything recruiters say with a pinch of salt so didn't take any heed. I have 4 qualifications since and don't see why my results from some exams I did 15 years ago would be relevant.

Anyway when I went for my interviews with the company I'm moving to, in both interviews they brought up my LC results. This is with a multinational company (one of the biggest employers in the world) and it's not a junior role.

So obviously they are relevant in some industries and to some employers!

If you have a degree, take your leaving cert off of your CV. It's dead space that nobody gives a feck about that could be used to sell attributes that actually matter.
    Feck off. I worked hard for that Leaving Cert!

I'm only half kidding. If you got a good Leaving Cert, it can indicate that you are naturally motivated -- it's more about demonstrating an attribute, not a particular skill.

My Leaving Cert only takes up about 3 lines of my CV - I mention my school, my subjects, and my points.

It will probably go off the CV for my next job or the one after that. But I've only had 3 jobs since graduation so at the moment, there's still space.

It's not the most important thing on a CV, but it does have some limited value for most people in their 20s or even early 30s, provided they didn't do badly.

Obviously you shouldn't go writing out your results in list form, just a summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Im 36, 4 third level qualifications and haven't been asked about them in nearly 10 years.I stopped putting them on after my post grad.. mostly because they are sh!te. :(

Interviewed and worked at many different types of company including multinationals and dealt with many recruiters. None of them (in the last 10 years) asked about them.

At a complete guess, I'd say roles which require intensive study while working e.g. accounting or the like would probably be more concerned with these, but again would have thought that would only be within a few years of graduation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I dropped my LC results years ago, I consider them irrelevant due to the qualifications and experience I've gotten since.
    Last year though I had to do a particular masters here in France as a condition to being made permanent. Bizarrely, I had to provide a translated copy of my Leaving Cert to register with the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 alibaba2

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is what happens when HR get too many CVs. Easiest way to eliminate the majority is to put minimum requirements. Same as you I would walk into any of those places now.

Why??

because you include a history of your education and its the first major exam. why not?! most public jobs look for the results of both the leaving cert and junior cert.

if you have alot of other qualifications & the CV is becoming too long then i'd leave the junior cert out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

alibaba2 wrote: »
    because you include a history of your education and its the first major exam. why not?! most public jobs look for the results of both the leaving cert and junior cert.

if you have alot of other qualifications & the CV is becoming too long then i'd leave the junior cert out.

It just becomes irrelevant after a while. Also, the LC has changed a lot in the past few decades so you really can't compare the results of someone who sat the exam in 1989 with someone who sat the exam in 2005. It's just not an even playing field.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would have thought the leaving cert supersedes the junior cert making it irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It just becomes irrelevant after a while. Also, the LC has changed a lot in the past few decades so you really can't compare the results of someone who sat the exam in 1989 with someone who sat the exam in 2005. It's just not an even playing field.

True, It was a lot tougher in 1989.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

What about a diploma or degree if it is in a subject that has no relevance to your current work field. Say a biology or a art history degree and you work in finance or some other unrelated field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Rene Brief Sewage

I'm on the waiting for a public service job and they asked for my Junior Cert results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Because results you receive at 18 will be a good indication of what you will be like at 38....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lol, the CV is to capture the attention of the person reading, actually the cover letter/email is more important. If I saw a CV with leaving cert results on it, I would be seriously questioning the suitability of the candidate that they have nothing more relevant to put on the 2/3 pages of a CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Because results you receive at 18 will be a good indication of what you will be like at 38....

Load of bollix. I'm not the same person at all as I was when I was a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Load of bollix. I'm not the same person at all as I was when I was a teenager.

there really needs to be a test on boards where you should be able to tell if a poster is taking the piss or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

CVs aren't used in my line of work but LC results are often requested on application forms. I'm looking at a change of career at the moment so good to know I can leave them out. I can't believe people have been asked for JC results here. The only time I've ever been asked for them was applying for positions in American and UK universities.

You have no way of knowing if someone else is "stone cold useless". If another candidate has experience and references, they are much less likely than a college leaver who never bothered to get experience in the summers or internships of being "stone cold useless".

Well obviously I know that it's not an employer's fault if they hire someone who fails to meet expectations because they can only go on what they have. Not sure if that last part is a dig at me or not but you make the job market sound so easy. There is still loads of competition out there and the margins are fine. I went from college from 2010-14. Not exactly an abundance of summer roles down this neck of the woods during the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Public service jobs can be ridiculous for requests that don't make sense, and then they don't even seem to care what people give them.

I know of a woman working at mid level officer level admin in a university who has no degree and no experience in the area she's working before she got the job, and of course she's absolutely useless at her job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I would be mortified if I still had my leaving cert results on my CV, because as a 32 years old, it is completely pointless, and to be honest if I was in a recruiting position, I wouldn't look favorably at someone who couldn't tailor their CV for the position their applying for.

At a certain stage, degrees are almost pointless too in certain fields. I have a degree is computer science and can write in Java and .NET. I guarantee there are people in my class who graduated with the same qualification who would struggle with a VLOOKUP formula in Excel today.

Industry certs that are renewed every few years are much more important, at least in IT anyway.

Advertisement