Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to get used to swimming

• 12-10-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I'm a long distance runner of many years but a recent knee injury will keep me off the road for some time.

In the interim I've decided to take up swimming. So far it's pretty gruelling - my technique leaves an awful lot to be desired and I exhaust myself pretty quickly.

Would swimming lessons be of benefit? Or do I need to simply invest more time and be more mindful of my form while doing it?

Bear in mind that I'm not a complete beginner - I can muster a length or two and swim underwater so complete novice lessons may not be appropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Lessons may help; if your technique is that bad a few pointers can make a difference very quickly. Or you could search for technique tips and practice drills.
    One of the main things with swimming (like running) is to slow down, find your form and speed will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Turtle001

If it's an option, join a tri club who will typically have a swim coach that can help. Getting better technique is an ongoing process and not something to tick the box on.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

121 lessons would be of benefit too!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

I would also recommend building up on lengths. Like a runner you wouldn't just go out and do marathon you would have build up for it. So maybe set yourself goals every week

E.g 10 lengths week 1
    16 lengths week 2
    20 lengths week 3 non stop and keep building
    It will get easier.

Also someone's stroke can tire them easily as their body position, head position, arms lift, entry , lack of leg kick, too deep leg kick etc I would agree try get into tri group near you in the pool where there is a coach for advice.

Best of luck. Swimming is brilliant. I'm opposite can't run to save my life :) my running is people's walking haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I was in the same boat as you. Long distance runner for years but fancied giving swimming a go. I tried to do it myself but eventually bit the bullet and went for the adult lessons.
    These helped get the basics sorted but it wasn't until I followed some structure and listened to advice from others that I started to come on.
    I'm not a club person so didn't fancy the formal coaching route so it is doing it the hard way but I've accidentally swam with a few coaches and they've corrected a lot in a short time.
    It depends on your goals I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I took up swimming a year ago..like yourself I couldn't swim a length, as suggested, I added a length or two weekly swimming slowly, thanks to a lot of advice from the coaches in Markievizc I have improved my technique, I can now swim a mile in 37 minutes and i have completed a Sprint triathlon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

JosDel wrote: »
    I took up swimming a year ago..like yourself I couldn't swim a length, as suggested, I added a length or two weekly swimming slowly, thanks to a lot of advice from the coaches in Markievizc I have improved my technique, I can now swim a mile in 37 minutes and i have completed a Sprint triathlon...

How many swims per week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

ballyargus wrote: »
    I'm a long distance runner of many years but a recent knee injury will keep me off the road for some time.

In the interim I've decided to take up swimming. So far it's pretty gruelling - my technique leaves an awful lot to be desired and I exhaust myself pretty quickly.

Would swimming lessons be of benefit? Or do I need to simply invest more time and be more mindful of my form while doing it?

Bear in mind that I'm not a complete beginner - I can muster a length or two and swim underwater so complete novice lessons may not be appropriate.
    I would advise some form of lessons or coaching as the others here have said.

I would also suggest you look at ankle flexibility. From what I've seen of runners that take up swimming, they usually have poor flexibility in this area. If your toes aren't pointed when kicking it's like putting on a handbrake, or in extreme cases it will drive you backward.

Advertisement