Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious violence on the Boardwalk at bachelors walk last night

Options
  • 12-10-2017 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Did anyone else see the fight with 20 Feral kids on the board walk across from the Arlington hotel last night? they had one guy on the ground and were kicking and punching him it was horrific.
    Innocent bystanders were shocked and running away from the boardwalk across traffic on the quays.
    There's a serious need for more Gardaí

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

..or parents who do not drag up animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BornIn84 wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the fight with 20 Feral kids on the board walk across from the Arlington hotel last night? they had one guy on the ground and were kicking and punching him it was horrific.
    Innocent bystanders were shocked and running away from the boardwalk across traffic on the quays.
    There's a serious need for more Gardaí
    What did the Garda say when you rang them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

What did the Garda say when you rang them?

If it's anything like the last time I called one in, they'll pass you back and forth between Store Street and Pearse Street until you give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

zero tolerance policy required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Probably needs to be a review on certain families in social housing in and around the city center.

Most are fine, but there are some career criminals and wasters amongst the usual cohort of junkies - many of whom produce equally useless offspring - that cause no end of trouble.

Amsterdam has an innovative approach to this kind of thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2012/dec/04/liberal-amsterdam-plans-scum-villages

The problem in Dublin is that policymakers are insulated between a leafy suburb and Grafton St and dont want to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

zero tolerance policy required

Until the judicial system is completely reformed there is no point in a zero tolerance policy. The Gardai currently don't react as they know that the person will walk with a slap on the wrist after several hours of Gardai time have been used dealing with them. First we need to fix the incestuous justice system then that will solve the anti social problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OleRodrigo wrote: »

A "scum" village - for scum! :pac:

I can imagine that there won't be too many vying for the title. Either you'd have to pick some place like Rathkeale or else purpose-build a new artificial village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

A "scum" village - for scum! :pac:

I can imagine that there won't be too many vying for the title. Either you'd have to pick some place like Rathkeale or else purpose-build a new artificial village.

In fairness, I think ' scum ' is a harsh translation from dutch but the concept is good and it would probably be purpose built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Del2005 wrote:
    Until the judicial system is completely reformed there is no point in a zero tolerance policy. The Gardai currently don't react as they know that the person will walk with a slap on the wrist after several hours of Gardai time have been used dealing with them. First we need to fix the incestuous justice system then that will solve the anti social problems.

There's no room in prison either if we went zero tolerance. Not that prison works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    In fairness, I think ' scum ' is a harsh translation from dutch but the concept is good and it would probably be purpose built.

It's a pejorative term for them and it's an accurate translation.

Some councils here have or had isolated apartment blocks for tenants with recurrent complaints. Effectively the same thing. There's nowhere in the City Council area you could consider isolated though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There's no room in prison either if we went zero tolerance. Not that prison works

As you said prison doesn't work but that's our default punishment, usually suspended. If they bring in community services and fines that are deducted from source. The other problem is that the legal profession is making too much money from the constant stream of repeat offenders that they don't want to reform the system, people shouldn't be able to get convictions into double figures never mind that some are into treble figures.

I had the pleasure of spending a day in the children's court after a scumbag tried to steal my car. That was an experience of our judicial system and the eventual outcome was a farce a few years later when I was summonsed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

If it's anything like the last time I called one in, they'll pass you back and forth between Store Street and Pearse Street until you give up.

Maybe you have a poor ability to give directions or explain situations? I have called the Gardai about anti-social behaviours, thefts etc and they are there within 90-120 seconds in a squad car.

The last time I called the Gardai, I called Pearse St to tell them two junkies had a laptop that was no way there. From calling Pearse St to the Gardai being on Westmoreland St to school the junkies was no more than 90 seconds. Maybe they were there as I was able to give a concise and clear explanation of the situation/location etc.

Maybe you have a poor ability to give directions or explain situations? I have called the Gardai about anti-social behaviours, thefts etc and they are there within 90-120 seconds in a squad car.

The last time I called the Gardai, I called Pearse St to tell them two junkies had a laptop that was no way there. From calling Pearse St to the Gardai being on Westmoreland St to school the junkies was no more than 90 seconds. Maybe they were there as I was able to give a concise and clear explanation of the situation/location etc.

Perhaps it depends on area, general overall busy-ness of the station you're calling etc.?

I know in Drogheda, ringing Gardai about anti-social behaviour of pretty much any variety is a pretty futile effort. They seem to have very little interest in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A few of those coppers who 'handled' the voting in Barcelona the other week wouldn't go amiss on many a city centre night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Del2005 wrote: »

Just to stop the fight should be enough for any 'real' Guard!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

A "scum" village - for scum!

Why denigrate the town of Rathkeale and it's residents with the label "scum village"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

spurious wrote: »
    A few of those coppers who 'handled' the voting in Barcelona the other week wouldn't go amiss on many a city centre night.

No use. Some jumped up solicitor would have the cops in court for assault.

I agree with you though. Best thing i ever saw never saw was a guard from Fitzgibbon St, kick a scumbag in the ribs. Only thing the prick would understand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

[QUOTE=OleRodrigo;104947519

Amsterdam has an innovative approach to this kind of thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2012/dec/04/liberal-amsterdam-plans-scum-villages

The problem in Dublin is that policymakers are insulated between a leafy suburb and Grafton St and dont want to know.[/QUOTE]

5 year old article and it never happened, of course.
    Your last sentence works just as hard for Amsterdam (and the rest of The Netherlands).
    Animals are protected and let loose on the common person like it is some kind of sick experiment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

If "Liffey Street" is a poor direction then maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

chicorytip wrote: »
    Why denigrate the town of Rathkeale and it's residents with the label "scum village"?

Why indeed. Sure isn't it the Monte Carlo of County Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

As in, nobody pays tax? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Cheap shot at a complete town. No need to follow up with the Monte Carlo gag either.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Not doing anything doesn't work either. At least for the duration of their prison stay the proper citizens of the country don't have to encounter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why don't they rig up the boardwalk so that it's spring loaded and pulling a lever would cause the section of your choice to tilt up and over at speed and fling anyone on that section into the smelly Liffey. That would soon cool their temper.
    Also would work a treat for drunkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

inforfun wrote: »
    5 year old article and it never happened, of course.
    Your last sentence works just as hard for Amsterdam (and the rest of The Netherlands).
    Animals are protected and let loose on the common person like it is some kind of sick experiment.

Sure?

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/roma-family-is-banished-to-amsterdams-scum-village-29557503.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Scum, they contribute nothing too society. Should be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Needs Must wrote: »
    Scum, they contribute nothing too society. Should be put down.

And the winner of the most inane hyperbolic post goes to...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

sozbox wrote: »

Yes, sure.
    They were the only ones sent to 2 shipping containers. Hardly a village.
    They were kicked out there as well only a few months later, in 2014

Advertisement