Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious violence on the Boardwalk at bachelors walk last night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

With a bit of luck the storm will blow the dirtbags away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

alastair wrote: »
    And the winner of the most inane hyperbolic post goes to...

The they should be put down bit was a bit harsh.But the contribute nothing to society bit was bang on.There is some of us out earning our wages.Then you have the waste of spaces like in that video, who are just happy enough to spend their entire lives drawing the dole and spend their money on drink and drugs, and who in general just like to inflict misery on the honest decent hard working folk amongst us.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The they should be put down bit was a bit harsh.But the contribute nothing to society bit was bang on.There is some of us out earning our wages.Then you have the waste of spaces like in that video, who are just happy enough to spend their entire lives drawing the dole and spend their money on drink and drugs, and who in general just like to inflict misery on the honest decent hard working folk amongst us.;)

Ehh, you’re in receipt of JSA. So I’d lean less on your crystal ball musings and focus a bit more on hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Ehh, you’re in receipt of JSA. So I’d lean less on your crystal ball musings and focus a bit more on hypocrisy.

Ouch! Remember, it's better to attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ouch! Remember, it's better to attack the post, not the poster.

Good point. To clear up any confusion - nobody on this forum has the blindest notion what any of those kids are likely to do with themselves over the long term, or what they’ll contribute to society over the course of their lives. Teenage idiocy is pretty unremarkable, and there’s plenty who cop on and become valued citizens. Take them to task for this anti-social behavior, for sure, but the reactionary mystic meg routine is mostly about projection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Yeah i was.Some people genuinely need it.Others just see it as a life style choice to avoid doing as little work as possible.But that's for another thread.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Going home in a few weeks, nice to see Old Town hasn't lost any of it's old charm(lessness).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The boardwalk should be privatised and tendered out to cafes along the way, public areas should be subtlety managed so the seating is well spread and minimal and only in very busy areas thus making it difficult to congregate. All that could be easily done it might annoy the type who get exercised by the idea of privatising public spaces though.

Design can be used as subtle way of deterring individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Saw a terrifying gang pick on some unsuspecting young student looking types, for no reason as far as I could see on Parnell Street a few Sundays back. It was shocking. Nobody intervened. In fact some local ghouls left their afternoon pints and stood outside the pub to watch. I was absolutely traumatised. I seemed to be the only one who called the police and tried to intervene.

I rang the Gardai the next day and got pushed from Billy to Jack all claiming to know nothing about it and that it was not their area etc.

Just reading about the incident in this thread, on the Boardwalk. The only info I could find is that again, it seems as if it was a feral mob who just picked on some German students who were staying in a nearby hostel.

All this kinda stuff seems to be kept very quiet and not reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

mariaalice wrote: »
    The boardwalk should be privatised and tendered out to cafes along the way, public areas should be subtlety managed so the seating is well spread and minimal and only in very busy areas thus making it difficult to congregate. All that could be easily done it might annoy the type who get exercised by the idea of privatising public spaces though.

Design can be used as subtle way of deterring individuals.

I can't see anyone wanting to buy the boardwalk.

It has become a "no go area" in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Dr Brown wrote: »

Send the Spanish police down there for a few nights, once in a while ( along with their powers ). that might sort it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

The boardwalk is junkieville, zombie scumbags that rob our country blind, whilst availing of free money and accommodation paid for by us. Useless humans with zero worth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

People go there all the time, including myself, so not sure what is meant by "no go area".
    AnneFrank wrote: »
    The boardwalk is junkieville, zombie scumbags that rob our country blind, whilst availing of free money and accommodation paid for by us. Useless humans with zero worth
    So much hate. So much misdirected hate.

People go there all the time, including myself, so not sure what is meant by "no go area".

Would you go there late at night ?

I almost got beating up by scumbags on the boardwalk a few years ago.

Granted it was after 1am but I would never go there again after my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Would you go there late at night ?

I almost got beating up by scumbags on the boardwalk a few years ago.

Granted it was after 1am but I would never go there again after my experience.

Go down there at lunch and the zombies are sitting there on the benches drinking cans and openly selling smack, the gardai just walk past turning a blind eye, it's not my misdirected hate, it's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

Have to agree with AnneFrank, i’ve been working in this area for almost 20 years and the problem is only getting worse.

Very sad to see, especially when they have small kids with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The only way is to privatise it, a serious 'health and safety' issue needs to found with the structure necessitating it to be close for a while for repairs and when it is reopened all of it should be privatise and given over to cafes and small retail there should be no seating except for the cafes.

That only pushes the problem somewhere else, similar use to hang out on the steps of the bank building opposite the custom house.

The only way to stop it is to make it difficult to congregate not by prohibition but by design.

privatisation of public space is a big thing with the left so I would be fairly sure they would be a bit of uproar if it was privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Jolisa94 wrote: »
    Have to agree with AnneFrank, i’ve been working in this area for almost 20 years and the problem is only getting worse.

Very sad to see, especially when they have small kids with them.

But thats the thing.

The problem has been there really since the boardwalk was built.

I cant remember a time that there wasnt junkies moping around Dublin.

Its always 'way worse than it used to be', (to be honest I dont think its any worse now than 10/15 years ago myself).

So why would anything change? Whats going to make it change.

Just on the long list of things that 'the govt/ council needs to do something about'......

No TD will lose their seat over it, or has lost their seat over it. In other words, people dont really care THAT much.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

if Manhattan can be cleaned up so can Dublin city center

have to get tough with the scumbags

One thing that would really help clean up the city centre is to move the methadone clinics out to the suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Was in town a few weeks ago

Me and my girlfriend just walking along, it was nearly dark but still abit of light left
    We walked towards bachelors walk, and just got onto it, their was one group of lads on it (about 8-9 people I reckon)
    They were eastern european, well dressed and all were very big. I reckon they were in their 30's or 40's

They stopped talking completely as me and my gf got closer, and all just stared us out of it. And I mean they all turned and just stared at us, stopped talking completely about what ever they were on about.
    Not sure why but it pissed me off because they were making me and my gf feel very uncomfortable, one guy seemed to have took a step closer as we were just about walking by just about brushing my shoulder (I am guessing he was trying to intimidate me)

I am a fairly tall lad myself, I just stopped looked at him and asked him does he have a f*ing problem?
    He just stepped back and said no, no sorry my friend I did not see you.Hard to believe he did not see me but ok.

If my gf wasn't their I doubt I would of ever said anything but to make her feel uncomfortable and giving us threatening stares as if they are about to jump us, plus the stepping forward and brushing my shoulder as if to intimate me into saying something,
    Well I said something and I feel little ****s like this who think they control the area should be cleared up.

Nothing but intimidation from a group of clowns who think their hard lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe you have a poor ability to give directions or explain situations? I have called the Gardai about anti-social behaviours, thefts etc and they are there within 90-120 seconds in a squad car.

Nah, I've seen Gardaí from Store St. ignore calls before if they aren't bothered dealing with junkies.

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, I've seen Gardaí from Store St. ignore calls before if they aren't bothered dealing with junkies.

The gardas have no real incentive to arrest junkies or low level criminals since they get paid the same anyway.

They would much rather give out speeding tickets were they know they won't meet much resistance from generally law abiding motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The gardas have no real incentive to arrest junkies or low level criminals since they get paid the same anyway.

This was a case of two junkies breaking into a car and stealing a couple of cases of alcohol on Amiens St. They then went 200m away, in to a local off licence, sold it to them, and divided up the cash outside. Two separate calls to the Gardaí, no one came to deal with it.

Effects wrote: »
    This was a case of two junkies breaking into a car and stealing a couple of cases of alcohol on Amiens St. They then went 200m away, in to a local off licence, sold it to them, and divided up the cash outside. Two separate calls to the Gardaí, no one came to deal with it.

I never realized you could sell drink back to an off licence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I never realized you could sell drink back to an off licence :pac:

Wasn't uncommon years ago; if you won or were given a bottle of something you didn't want etc. Now the off licence would have to be incredibly dodgy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

A lot of them are from the flats in the city centre. Where are you supposed to put them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

A lot of them are from the flats in the city centre. Where are you supposed to put them?

As I suggested earlier, put them down. They don't contribute anything to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Needs Must wrote: »
    Scum, they contribute nothing too society. Should be put down.
    Needs Must wrote: »
    As I suggested earlier, put them down. They don't contribute anything to society.
    Please familairise yourself with the charter, especially the last bullet point, before posting again in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

how did they manage it in NYC?

it's wouldn't be easy to re-locate the scum away from the city center but we should be trying to do it. They are a cancer on our city.

Advertisement