Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro Repair Question

Options
  • 12-10-2017 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

For the tech heads or consumer protection experts, was cleaning the screen of my Macbook and the protective coating started to rub off turns out it's a problem (delamination) dropped it into Compub and it can get repaired for free which is handy but when running diagnostics they found that the battery failed, had brought it in awhile back and it was costing €500 to get replaced, they said that it could possibly be repaired under ECLC and to provide proof of purchase, turned the house upside down and can't find the receipt for it, I bought the Macbook in July 2012 in Compub on Grafton Street (ran a search here and irishpokerboards and stumbled across posts which confirm the store and the date which it was purchased) and they looked in their records and found an old receipt for a different Mac, person in the store said they changed systems and that it might not be there.

Anything I can do or say to try get it sorted?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Trying to get a 5 year old battery repaired/replaced in a laptop under consumer legislation? I would say a judge would think 5 years is more than reasonable for a battery, TBH.
    Probably better off asking a mod to move it to Consumer issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

whiterebel wrote: »
    Trying to get a 5 year old battery repaired/replaced in a laptop under consumer legislation? I would say a judge would think 5 years is more than reasonable for a battery, TBH.
    Probably better off asking a mod to move it to Consumer issues

I didn't even know about it, technician from Compub brought it up, they've been excellent so far in their help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I just had a big overhaul of my MacBook in CompuB, again under the ECLC rules.

What I had show them was the "Billing Document Number" from my original email receipt. Luckily this was buried in my Gmail account somewhere and I was able dig it out.

I assume CompuB weren't emailing receipts back in 2012?

Any chance you could get a 5 yr old bank statement?

Dades wrote: »
    I just had a big overhaul of my MacBook in CompuB, again under the ECLC rules.

What I had show them was the "Billing Document Number" from my original email receipt. Luckily this was buried in my Gmail account somewhere and I was able dig it out.

I assume CompuB weren't emailing receipts back in 2012?

Any chance you could get a 5 yr old bank statement?

I don't have an email receipt and I'm pretty confident I paid cash for it. I'm wondering because they changed their systems and can't source the sale is it a thing of I know where & when I bought it but you can't also find it can they in good faith do the repair?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The problem is that without certain details, they can't get Apple to pay for the replacement cost. My parts would have cost about €600, but neither I or CompuB were going to pay if Apple weren't.

I'm surprised they can't match the sale with the serial number of the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

...Compub .. found that the battery failed, .. €500 to get replaced

If you didnt notice it before CompuB found it - then either
    a) Its not that bad - or good enough for your needs
    b) you are using it powered always and dont need it

Either way - (unless they have broke it while testing) - maybe you don't need to fork out for a new battery at all?

“Roll it back”

Dades wrote: »
    The problem is that without certain details, they can't get Apple to pay for the replacement cost. My parts would have cost about €600, but neither I or CompuB were going to pay if Apple weren't.

I'm surprised they can't match the sale with the serial number of the machine.

Yeah I'm a little baffled also that they can't trace the sale, I bought an iPhone in there at the start of the year and that wasn't on their system either.

Bought a new Macbook and got that receipt emailed to me.
    ozmo wrote: »
    If you didnt notice it before CompuB found it - then either
    a) Its not that bad - or good enough for your needs
    b) you are using it powered always and dont need it

Either way - (unless they have broke it while testing) - maybe you don't need to fork out for a new battery at all?

I had noticed it before as a message popped up awhile back, brought it in for them to test and it was costing €500 it obviously works but doesn't hold the charge as well because of it's age but I was okay with it's usage.

I've subsequently bought a new Macbook and want to sell this to offset the cost of the new one, when they brought up that it could possibly be replaced it would add a lot of value to the cost of this current Macbooks resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Yeah I'm a little baffled also that they can't trace the sale, I bought an iPhone in there at the start of the year and that wasn't on their system either.

I had noticed it before as a message popped up awhile back, brought it in for them to test and it was costing €500 it obviously works but doesn't hold the charge as well because of it's age but I was okay with it's usage.

I've subsequently bought a new Macbook and want to sell this to offset the cost of the new one, when they brought up that it could possibly be replaced it would add a lot of value to the cost of this current Macbooks resale value.

If you want give it a go- It looks like an easy 15 minute repair with a third party battery part costing about 50 pounds on amazon - depending on the model...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2012+Battery+Replacement/10950

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Can you explain what ECLC is? If it is European Consumer law, CompuB will be on the hook for the cost of repair, not Apple. Retailers (including Apple) seem to understand Consumer Law as long as someone else is paying for it, rather than themselves. Add in the fact that it is a battery replacement that is normally only good for up to approx 1000 charging cycles, it seems to me like they might be sending you on a wild goose chase.

ozmo wrote: »
    If you want give it a go- It looks like an easy 15 minute repair with a third party battery part costing about 50 pounds on amazon - depending on the model...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2012+Battery+Replacement/10950

Just looked up my model (mid 2012 Retina) difficult to replace, I'm not even going to attempt it.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Can you explain what ECLC is? If it is European Consumer law, CompuB will be on the hook for the cost of repair, not Apple. Retailers (including Apple) seem to understand Consumer Law as long as someone else is paying for it, rather than themselves. Add in the fact that it is a battery replacement that is normally only good for up to approx 1000 charging cycles, it seems to me like they might be sending you on a wild goose chase.

I asked them because of the age of the model would it be covered and they said possibly and at no cost to me.

It's subsequently been returned to me with a new screen but no battery replacement as I could not find the receipt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement