Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can contactless payments be made without any cash in a current account?

Options
  • 12-10-2017 3:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

The information I've seen on various sites seems quite vague in regards to whether someone can use a BOI contactless debit card without any cash present in the account at the time.

Some sites said that you had to have a minimum of €1 or €2 for the contactless charge but could a single purchase or multiple purchases that totaled up to €30. Others claim that there's no charge for a transaction but you can only go overboard on a debit card once unless you have signed up for a bank overdraft.

I think the latter seems to be the case for me as I tried buying something for €6 in the pharmacy with only a few cents in my account since I'm getting paid tomorrow. It was declined which seemed to contradict all the stories of BOI customers finding out that they accidentally racked up a sizeable amount of debt by using contactless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Nigel_wilson,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

We would recommend using the card only if you have the available funds in your account or within a agreed overdraft.

Contactless payments do take longer to process then Point of Sale transactions to debit from the account so we would recommend making sure the funds are still available when the transaction comes out as if not your account will go into a minus figure.

When the account goes into a un authorised minus figure you will be charged over limit charges if there is no overdraft on the account and it can also have a negative impact on your further lending applications.

Please see here for charges.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks,

Kareana

Advertisement