Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ethereum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ETH getting interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Badly needed.

Does the technology have a future?

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Does the technology have a future?
    Yes. Ignore price action for a while, it's all silly games for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭rapul

Seeing as Ethereum is back up might aswell dig this out, anyone staking the 32 ETH come December?!

Cant believe it tbh, Im not staking anything, Ill be selling my stack and buying a house (adding it to the pile not making a house worth of profits!), not yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

rapul wrote: »
    Seeing as Ethereum is back up might aswell dig this out, anyone staking the 32 ETH come December?!

I guess I will be. I've not looked into it yet - been busy with other things. Are you staking?

I guess I will be. I've not looked into it yet - been busy with other things. Are you staking?

Yeah tbh looking into it as the sons college fund down the line, think it's a good thing to leave it locked for a while, still have a week to decide I'll see might sell some first as Thargor has said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

whats the projected returns on staking ETH?

Currently you are able to get about 40% staking ZIL
    21% returns in ZIL directly and the equivalent amount in gZil. gZil value fluctuates but as the supply will dry up in a year it could easily 3-4x the amount its worth in ZIL so the overall staking rewards could be > 100% in 1 year

If ZIL takes off in the bull run which I fancy it to, this time next year, it could have been a very good move

• Advertisement

Is it just going to stay going to a grand?

I am watching them all excited on Reddit as some staking thing slowly fills up to its quota, getting a bit of a "buy the rumor sell the news" vibe off it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Is it just going to stay going to a grand?

I am watching them all excited on Reddit as some staking thing slowly fills up to its quota, getting a bit of a "buy the rumor sell the news" vibe off it.

Very likely to see a drop from November 30th onwards, unless people keep throwing money at it (although I think BTC has to break ATH for retail to FOMO suicide themselves in front of the crypto train again).
    A few mates who'd sworn off crypto by mid-2018 are now balls deep again. Apparently ETH for $500+ is a better deal than ETH for $100, who knew?
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    whats the projected returns on staking ETH?

They're projecting about 3% (aka 1 ETH per 32 staked) if 10% of supply is locked and validating, about 20% if it stays ~500k ETH locked up.

You'd earn more elsewhere (lending), especially if you think like a miner who has costs and wants those costs paid off (at least) by the rewards, but I do think ETH is a future trillion cap unicorn whether it takes 5 years or 10, so I'll happily earn 1 ETH per validator per year, the lower yield also comes with less perceived risk in my mind, higher likelihood that it succeeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

grindle wrote: »
    Apparently ETH for $500+ is a better deal than ETH for $100, who knew?
    :D

Did anyone stake after?

I did through Binance, no harm locking some up and see what happens I figured!

Better return than an post savings hopefully haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

rapul wrote: »
    Did anyone stake after?

I did through Binance, no harm locking some up and see what happens I figured!

Better return than an post savings hopefully haha

There an option to stake through the Argent Wallet using Lido but they take 10% of your 10%Apy .

What are the returns on Binance.? Lending crypto can give you a better return imo.

Hmm 10% is alot.

From what I've gathered it varies from 5 to 20 percent depending on the numbers of validators rising over time, I'll see soon enough if its worth it or not. Binance have only started distribution of interest this month

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bruno Mannheim

Kraken also are doing staking up to 17%

Ok so said I'd report back the interest.

Seems I'm getting roughly 40 cent a day on each ethereum at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,824 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's a very good interest rate. Is it compounded, so will you get the same percentage on day too of your (ETH holding + 40cent)? Even if not compounded, that's like about 12%

Care to give us more details on that rapul? What's involved in setting that up? Is your ETH at any risk doing this (even theoretical)? What if the exchange gets hacked? Is your ETH locked in?

My ETH is in my wallet. I would prefer not to send it to any exchange for obvious reasons of security and transaction costs. My main exchange is Kraken

Hey man yeah im not sure I will let you know for sure either later today or tomorrow if its compounded interest ( I will be getting more) but from what I've gathered it is.

And ok so yes my ether is locked in until the shard chains are implemented which could be 2 years or less, hopefully less but we'll see.

You get a token for each ethereum locked called BETH and it sits in your spot account with the interest being added on everyday.

Risk wise, I guess there is always risk but I chose Binance as its as trust worthy and does crash like others as much if at all, and hack wise being honest not much information, I took a punt and will see it it pays off but for now seems good.

• Advertisement

Is that 40 cent being paid back in ETH or BTC or Fiat?

Is that 40 cent being paid back in ETH or BTC or Fiat?

Ethereum

Ok so for Unkel mainly but the interest for last 3 days has been climbing up even with the cost going down, today I got more so seems good, basically at the moment in 3 days the return from 1 ether is just under 1 euro

Or I'm getting just under 0.001 every 3 days on 1 if that's simpler.

sorry for jumping on this ETH thread but currently getting about €5.30/day on Zilliqa staking at todays prices

I've yet to find anything better at the moment

Only thing is its not compounded daily, you have to claim your Zil and then stake it back where there is a small fee so I only do that every 6 weeks

Sorry if you don't want to answer but how much are you staking to get that 5.30?

There an option to stake through the Argent Wallet using Lido but they take 10% of your 10%Apy .

What are the returns on Binance.? Lending crypto can give you a better return imo.

If anyone did follow up on Lido they posted this earlier. You can stake also through a Curve Pool.

https://twitter.com/LidoFinance/status/1351238195745345540?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Sorry if you don't want to answer but how much are you staking to get that 5.30?

€5.30 a day is currently 88 zil per day, i would guess he is staking approx €13,000 worth of Zil at 15% apr
    13000/100x15%=1950
    €5.30x365=1934

€5.30 a day is currently 88 zil per day, i would guess he is staking approx €13,000 worth of Zil at 15% apr
    13000/100x15%=1950
    €5.30x365=1934

the €5.30 may include the gZil reward aswell at current prices ;)

€5.30 a day is currently 88 zil per day, i would guess he is staking approx €13,000 worth of Zil

You'd make more with a mining rig costing a tiny fraction of that €13k. And less risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

unkel wrote: »
    You'd make more with a mining rig costing a tiny fraction of that €13k. And less risk.

With all the current hype around ETH I would think it would be difficult to find a good ETH miner in stock anywhere, and the prices are understandably high.

What do you think about Monero mining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

We have a group in work where we are hoovering up some second hand cards to build a small home made mining rig. Currently have 6 gfx cards and it should "go live" this week.

We estimated that with those 6 cards we should mine just over 3 eth per year meaning we more or less get double our investment back year one. Electricity is not paid by us :)

After that we'll see if we stick with ETH or switch to something else. More of an experiment for us than really seriously mining but we may get more serious in the future if things go well.

BKtje wrote: »
    We have a group in work where we are hoovering up some second hand cards to build a small home made mining rig. Currently have 6 gfx cards and it should "go live" this week.

We estimated that with those 6 cards we should mine just over 3 eth per year meaning we more or less get double our investment back year one. Electricity is not paid by us :)

After that we'll see if we stick with ETH or switch to something else. More of an experiment for us than really seriously mining but we may get more serious in the future if things go well.
    Mind you dont lose your job when its discovered by a manager...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

The manager is leading the charge haha :D

With all the current hype around ETH I would think it would be difficult to find a good ETH miner in stock anywhere, and the prices are understandably high.

What do you think about Monero mining?

If you have a Monero miner you have an ETH miner, they're just GPUs. Both are excellent projects but Monero has higher risk built in because it's truly private and isn't the entire meta of "blockchain as solution" like Ethereum is.

New ATH today, gone over $1450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

I just have 1 Ether, does it seem like a good/secure prospect for a long term hold? Had bought it for like 1106 before a massive dip a few weeks back

TL;DR - yes. 90%+ of my lifesavings have been tied up in this since 2016 and will be for many more years, the rest of the 10% is made up of other crypto assets.

Whenever you read about Blockchain As A Service for business, they're talking about Ethereum.
    The numpty mogs who used to post here (they'll be back when BTC hits $27k or something) would say "But they can just run their own fork of that blockchain forever!"
    They could, currently do or are in the middle of migrating small sections of businesses to the network, but before they migrate they get limited or zero benefits of decentralisation until full migration. Which is years away. There will be another crash years before Ethereum's zeitgeist moment (psst: next year most likely, fill your bags in 2022 and 2023) and even then it's years before we see quantifiable sections of the web being hosted on Ethereum. Ethereum is still too young to handle and subsume the current stock exchange traffic. Let it get there first.

It also depends on what your price point is for an exit. It could drop to $300 again easily (would you keep buying in that drop? If not, dump what you have - your patience will be tested). It could pop to $3k and exceed by December and THEN drop to $300 for years. But it is the meta of blockchain services.
    ETH-killer fans: "This thing says it's the new Ethereum!"

One might be or they might work together in sync, but they'll need the network effect. Have we all watched Bitcoin reach new ATHs whilst being a demonstrably inferior option for privacy and transaction costs? We have. The faith and/or idiocy of the market far outweighs the what-ifs and maybes of tech superiority generally traded to detriment of decentralisation and ultimately market value.

I got notification from Yearns Signal group that Yearn have reactivated their yETH vault which returned 34% last year.
    See attachment below.

Bankless recommended it below in Sep 2020.
    https://newsletter.banklesshq.com/p/how-to-get-the-best-yields-on-your

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

grindle wrote: »
    It could drop to $300 again easily (would you keep buying in that drop? If not, dump what you have - your patience will be tested). It could pop to $3k and exceed by December and THEN drop to $300 for years.

Just to pick up on this. Why cant I just sell as it falls. I'm in crypto for the money, if it drops I sell. I dont understand why this is frowned upon.Sell and buy back in when its levelled out, not sure why that strategy isn't allowed.

seannash wrote: »
    Just to pick up on this. Why cant I just sell as it falls. I'm in crypto for the money, if it drops I sell. I dont understand why this is frowned upon.Sell and buy back in when its levelled out, not sure why that strategy isn't allowed.

You can sell at a 300 loss, and within minutes the asset could be up 600. It's not as easy as you portray.
    If you try to play that game you have to go full time, give up "normal" work, spend hours watching the market, living on the edge.

The fact that you even suggest this strategy implies that you have never even tried it.

People who offer this advice are experienced, and are not just posting ignorantly, which you seem to be.

• Advertisement

You can sell at a 300 loss, and within minutes the asset could be up 600. It's not as easy as you portray.
    If you try to play that game you have to go full time, give up "normal" work, spend hours watching the market, living on the edge.

The fact that you even suggest this strategy implies that you have never even tried it.

People who offer this advice are experienced, and are not just posting ignorantly, which you seem to be.

Why would i be at a loss. I bought in November, holding and sold when bitcoin began dumping there towards to 30k.

I bought back in. Im certainly not going to watch ot go to 300. Ill take profit where i can.
    Ive tried this strategy with a lot of cryptos and so far its been alright.
    Im happy to pull out at any time if im in profit.

Oh and FYI ive been involved in crypto since 2015.
    I remember the holders during the crash of 2018. I pulled out of a large nano position (amongst others) in profit before it went to sweet **** all.
    Oh and i successfully tried this strategy with doge over the weekend and make 4k

Why would i be at a loss. I bought in November, holding and sold when bitcoin began dumping there towards to 30k.

I bought back in. Im certainly not going to watch ot go to 300. Ill take profit where i can.
    Ive tried this strategy with a lot of cryptos and so far its been alright.
    Im happy to pull out at any time if im in profit.

Oh and FYI ive been involved in crypto since 2015.
    I remember the holders during the crash of 2018. I pulled out of a large nano position (amongst others) in profit before it went to sweet **** all.

Everything is easy in a bull market. That is easily forgotten.

Trading is hard. Very hard.

Everything is easy in a bull market. That is easily forgotten.

Trading is hard. Very hard.

Im not saying trading. Of people are in profit now people are suggesting watching that go to nothing and if you're not prepared for that get out. I dont agree with that. If you feel its gonna drop off a cliff then pull out your money. Buy in again once its cooled off. Yeah your profits may not be as big if you just held but so what.

Im not saying trading. Of people are in profit now people are suggesting watching that go to nothing and if you're not prepared for that get out. I dont agree with that. If you feel its gonna drop off a cliff then pull out your money. Buy in again once its cooled off. Yeah your profits may not be as big if you just held but so what.

People are buying at every moment. People are buying at the top. You might buy at the top.

There is no "feel". If you think you can time the market, you are wrong. It really is that simple.

What you're talking about is trading, whether you know or acknowledge it. Buying and selling in hours or days is trading. Trying to time the market is trading.

Anyone who is posting here for more than a few days has tried it, and failed at it. The only successful tactic is HODL.

There are people who are professional traders and some of them might be making money but if they are doing it they are working their asses off, 24/7 and grinding out a margin, but it's hard work.

How do you become a Millionaire Crypto Trader?... Start out with a Billion...

Go on so... I hope you are successful...

People are buying at every moment. People are buying at the top. You might buy at the top.

There is no "feel". If you think you can time the market, you are wrong. It really is that simple.

What you're talking about is trading, whether you know or acknowledge it. Buying and selling in hours or days is trading. Trying to time the market is trading.

Anyone who is posting here for more than a few days has tried it, and failed at it. The only successful tactic is HODL.

There are people who are professional traders and some of them might be making money but if they are doing it they are working their asses off, 24/7 and grinding out a margin, but it's hard work.

How do you become a Millionaire Crypto Trader?... Start out with a Billion...
    I dont know what to tell you man. Ive made money, not as much as i could have bit ive made money.
    Telling people to hold as it plummets isn't great advise.
    If you want to take profit then take it

I dont know what to tell you man. Ive made money, not as much as i could have bit ive made money.
    Telling people to hold as it plummets isn't great advise.
    If you want to take profit then take it

I've made money too. I have 12.5 BTC that cost me around 2000 EUR. I still have all of them. HODL works.

Do I think that was anything other than luck? No.

You don't become wealthy by selling...

Go on so... I hope you are successful...

Hahaha right man. I can see that I'm annoying you because im not some noob whose been in the crypto game a hot minute. Take care.

Hahaha right man. I can see that I'm annoying you because im not some noob whose been in the crypto game a hot minute. Take care.

You're not annoying me, I'm just trying to pass on some experience. As are all the guys who say trading is a bad idea.

Sometimes other people are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

If you've been in since 2015 you must be holding a **** load of BTC and ETH. If not you've done some poor trades.

Getting in on one pump of a meme coin does not a good trader make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement