Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethereum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Just passed €1000 on coin base.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just in to work to see it at €1020 on coinbase and rising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I put in 200 euro to Coinbase -> ETH -> Binance -> Ripple but Coinbase are holding my ETH for 72 hours due to security issues.
    Since its looking like ETH is on the rise, should I just keep it and put more money in to buy Ripple? Or just continue as planned and ditch ETH for Ripple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

The_B_Man wrote: »
    .... should I just keep it and put more money in to buy Ripple? Or just continue as planned and ditch ETH for Ripple?

Isn't that a little like asking people to pick Heads or Tails for you ? :)

For whatever it's worth, my own view is that it is better to be diversified, so hold a number of different crypto currencies. However, that said, it's very difficult to hold them all, so it's down to doing a little research and then picking which horses you want to put your money on. For me, I would like to hold Ether and also a little Ripple, but that's just my personal opinion and not advice :)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I was losing my shirt on a few other coins last week so stuck over half of my swag into ETH a couple of days ago.... go on you beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Eth the first crypto investment thats in the green for me so far :)

All the major development milestones are still to come, another Ethereum Enterprise Alliance update is due aswell, we'll probably see loads of companies joining up.

Passing through >50% of BTCs market cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

past $1300

Choo Choo

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    past $1300

Choo Choo
    $2000 in Korea.

Bit of a dip now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Thargor wrote: »
    $2000 in Korea.

Bit of a dip now though.

That's a crazy difference

I notice over the past few days of this that the local high price is in the morning when I get in at about 6:30 - 7:00 then drops of quite a bit (€1150 @6:30 -€1060 @8:25 this morning, similar yesterday) and growth resumes later mid afternoon. I'm guessing this is people taking profits as they arrive into work first thing, but would have thought trading in different time zones and automated buy/sells would smooth this out more. Is this a common pattern, or am I making sweeping assumptions on insufficient data? My assumption is that I'm reading tea leaves here, just interested on other peoples thoughts. Are there any good ways of harvesting large amounts of historical data for off-line analytical purposes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

smacl wrote: »
    I notice over the past few days of this that the local high price is in the morning when I get in at about 6:30 - 7:00 then drops of quite a bit (€1150 @6:30 -€1060 @8:25 this morning, similar yesterday) and growth resumes later mid afternoon. I'm guessing this is people taking profits as they arrive into work first thing, but would have thought trading in different time zones and automated buy/sells would smooth this out more. Is this a common pattern, or am I making sweeping assumptions on insufficient data? My assumption is that I'm reading tea leaves here, just interested on other peoples thoughts. Are there any good ways of harvesting large amounts of historical data for off-line analytical purposes?

Nope!

I actually came across a YouTube video where a guy uses the time of day highlighted by you in his strategies.
    Struggling to find it now....Will keep digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Reoccurring theme - it keeps peaking in the queer hours. Alot of activity in South Korea that hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Seems to be a pattern where it drops around 8AM, presumably when Europe starts trading, then slowly builds back up til the US wakes up in the early afternoon when it drops again. Strange alright

Reoccurring theme - it keeps peaking in the queer hours. Alot of activity in South Korea that hour?

Difficult to figure out reasons and dangerous to make predictions on that basis. Currently reading The three body problem an it brings to mind the farmers hypothesis ;)
    Cixin Liu wrote:
    The farmer hypothesis, on the other hand, has the flavor of a horror story: Every morning on a turkey farm, the farmer comes to feed the turkeys. A scientist turkey, having observed this pattern to hold without change for almost a year, makes the following discovery: “Every morning at eleven, food arrives.” On the morning of Thanksgiving, the scientist announces this law to the other turkeys. But that morning at eleven, food doesn’t arrive; instead, the farmer comes and kills the entire flock.

That said, I'll keep an eye on graphs and have a look at historical data when I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm guessing this is people taking profits as they arrive into work first thing

Just quoting this part, but what are people's thinking behind taking profits out and bank into their bank accounts? Take out all profit slowly but surely until original investment is made back and then let the remaining coin value to rise/fall as it pleased as it is a 'free' investment?

I'm torn between playing the long game with my original investment & hoping it soars so high / playing it safe by knowing that cryptocurrency will not last years and years and that it will have little real-life use in the future.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Just quoting this part, but what are people's thinking behind taking profits out and bank into their bank accounts?

I'm very new to this, but my plan is to play the long game largely on the basis of not wanting to deal with the stress and hassle of a shorter gain. My starting assumption is all the money that I put in is lost and this is a gamble more so than an investment. On the off chance of getting a big gain on a smaller alt or ICO, I'd consider shifting it into a larger coin and on into a wallet. My gamble is more that crypto is here to stay than on any particular coin and would only envisage shifting back to fiat if another major world recession started to loom and cash became the scarcer asset.

If you're doing this as an investment more than a gamble, take your profits out whenever you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

FitzShane wrote:
    Just quoting this part, but what are people's thinking behind taking profits out and bank into their bank accounts? Take out all profit slowly but surely until original investment is made back and then let the remaining coin value to rise/fall as it pleased as it is a 'free' investment?

I invested with money I could afford to lose. I believe this is still the early stages with huge growth ahead and by taking out my original investment I'd be hampering my potential gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Missus bought a significant amount of Ether in early Nov. I did too.

I took my profits long ago and of course regret it a little now. I almost spend a second working day now watching, buying and selling alts. She happily holds her ETH and has no intention of selling any time soon. Has made 3x on her initial sum.

I hate love her so much. Damn my weak hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just in case people don't know - if you had an Eth address 2 months ago or so check it for XNN. XNN was airdropped to ETH addresses back then and a quick look this morning puts the 700 or so free that I got at nearly €200 :pac: - up 140% today!

Elessar wrote: »
    Just in case people don't know - if you had an Eth address 2 months ago or so check it for XNN. XNN was airdropped to ETH addresses back then and a quick look this morning puts the 700 or so free that I got at nearly €200 :pac: - up 140% today!
    Mine were all on Coinbase at the time, are the gone do you know? How much did we get per ETH?

Thargor wrote: »
    Mine were all on Coinbase at the time, are the gone do you know? How much did we get per ETH?

I'm not sure regarding the exchanges, type the eth address into https://etherscan.io/ and it will tell you what tokens you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm not sure regarding the exchanges, type the eth address into https://etherscan.io/ and it will tell you what tokens you have.

what address am I to copy?

The receiving address - after a bit of googling it looks like it didn't drop to exchanges :(
    Xenon is currently running a snapshot on the Ethereum network, from October, 4 – October 6. All addresses with more than or equal to 0.1 ETH will receive XNN tokens (proportionately, but not directly proportional) total distribution will be 300,000,000 XNN for this airdrop. Exact time of the snapshot is unknown. Large addresses, such as exchanges or wallet providers may be skipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Should I not leave the coins in coinbase and transfer them somewhere else instead? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Wombatman wrote: »
    Missus bought a significant amount of Ether in early Nov. I did too.

I took my profits long ago and of course regret it a little now. I almost spend a second working day now watching, buying and selling alts. She happily holds her ETH and has no intention of selling any time soon. Has made 3x on her initial sum.

I hate love her so much. Damn my weak hands.

Just keep reminding her it's 50:50 in the relationship ;)

... well, or I suppose you could always divorce her and go for a slice of the action that way too :D

Thanks,

G.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Should I not leave the coins in coinbase and transfer them somewhere else instead? :o

If you have a substantial amount of money in coinbase or any other exchange you should move it to an offline wallet (either software, hardware or paper). Rule of thumb I've seen used which seems reasonable is that you shouldn't leave more than a weeks wages on an exchange without good reason. Paper or hardware wallets (e.g. trezor) are safest, software wallets (e.g. Jaxx) are easier. Worthwhile researching this stuff yourself, taking security advice on how to keep your money safe from randomers on the internet ain't so clever ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

If you have a substantial amount of money in coinbase or any other exchange you should move it to an offline wallet (either software, hardware or paper). Rule of thumb I've seen used which seems reasonable is that you shouldn't leave more than a weeks wages on an exchange without good reason. Paper or hardware wallets (e.g. trezor) are safest, software wallets (e.g. Jaxx) are easier. Worthwhile researching this stuff yourself, taking security advice on how to keep your money safe from randomers on the internet ain't so clever ;)

I think Coin base has insurance

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-

Advertisement