Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethereum

Comments

smacl wrote: »
    If you have a substantial amount of money in coinbase or any other exchange you should move it to an offline wallet (either software, hardware or paper). Rule of thumb I've seen used which seems reasonable is that you shouldn't leave more than a weeks wages on an exchange without good reason. Paper or hardware wallets (e.g. trezor) are safest, software wallets (e.g. Jaxx) are easier. Worthwhile researching this stuff yourself, taking security advice on how to keep your money safe from randomers on the internet ain't so clever ;)

I dont see any sense in that to be honest, I think its far safer to leave your investment in coinbase than mess around with moving it for the vast majority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If you have a substantial amount of money in coinbase or any other exchange you should move it to an offline wallet (either software, hardware or paper). Rule of thumb I've seen used which seems reasonable is that you shouldn't leave more than a weeks wages on an exchange without good reason. Paper or hardware wallets (e.g. trezor) are safest, software wallets (e.g. Jaxx) are easier. Worthwhile researching this stuff yourself, taking security advice on how to keep your money safe from randomers on the internet ain't so clever ;)
    I dont see any sense in that to be honest, I think its far safer to leave your investment in coinbase than mess around with moving it for the vast majority of people.

So essentially, there is no monetary gain from moving coins from Coinbase -> wallets, but there is a increased security presence in having them 'offline'.

But at the same time, the Coinbase security should be OK, provided you don't have a lorra lorra money in it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

FitzShane wrote: »
    So essentially, there is no monetary gain from moving coins from Coinbase -> wallets, but there is a increased security presence in having them 'offline'.

But at the same time, the Coinbase security should be OK, provided you don't have a lorra lorra money in it!

Pretty much, if you set up 2fa getting hacked is less likely. While unlikely, you could have difficulty getting at your funds should coinbase operations get suspended at any stage for technical or legal reasons. Personally, I wouldn't leave large amounts of money in any of the exchanges unless I though I was going to need it at short notice for trading purposes, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

The problem is if you have large amounts in wallets and they're too slow to take out/exchange to € or you can only withdraw to the exchange limit per week which is also slow. Meanwhile the price is sinking quickly. Whats the best way around this, spread the coins around different exchanges or wallets?

Nope!

I actually came across a YouTube video where a guy uses the time of day highlighted by you in his strategies.
    Struggling to find it now....Will keep digging.

Sold my ETH at about 30% gain over the week yesterday with the plan of buying back in this morning, but will probably wait a couple of days to see how things pan out after the Korea trading ban. While I got stung on transaction charges by having my ETH in coinbase, probably better than my other alts sitting in Kraken which is now totally off-line.
    Kraken.com wrote:
    ***MAINTENANCE ANNOUNCEMENT***

Kraken is presently offline for maintenance.

While maintenance is underway, the website and API will not be reachable, and orders will not be able to be placed or canceled.

The Kraken Team

• Advertisement

seanino wrote: »
    The problem is if you have large amounts in wallets and they're too slow to take out/exchange to € or you can only withdraw to the exchange limit per week which is also slow. Meanwhile the price is sinking quickly. Whats the best way around this, spread the coins around different exchanges or wallets?

As you go through different verification levels, you can move larger amounts around the place. IMHO, you can't eliminate all the above risks and crypto is a high risk area with a lot of latency / time-lag between making a decision to act and being able to complete a transaction. Using multiple exchanges spreads the risk (as I found out trying to access my coins on Kraken this morning!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Sold my ETH at about 30% gain over the week yesterday with the plan of buying back in this morning, but will probably wait a couple of days to see how things pan out after the Korea trading ban. While I got stung on transaction charges by having my ETH in coinbase, probably better than my other alts sitting in Kraken which is now totally off-line.

I expect it will come charging back this morning. 10% or so to be gained I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Wombatman wrote: »
    I expect it will come charging back this morning. 10% or so to be gained I expect.
    10% would pretty much be an ATH.
    I expect a wee push up alright but I think it'll be a bit more conservative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

seannash wrote: »
    10% would pretty much be an ATH.
    I expect a wee push up alright but I think it'll be a bit more conservative

I hope it gets back to $1300 which would be a 10% bounce back.

Yeah, looking very much like that. Quite probably a dumb noob move on my part selling back via CoinBase given their fees which exceed the fluctuations over the course of the day. Had planned to move to Kraken to sell but the site was down. Still realised a profit for all that but not quite the planned move and will probably need to SEPA back to my bank and on the Kraken to get back on board. Every day's a school day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I hope it gets back to $1300 which would be a 10% bounce back.
    Not to be pedantic but at time of posting it was at $1240 and is still hovering around that mark

Just trying to set expectations correctly for anyone new to this :)

Too many downward arrows lately for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Great buy opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Great buy opportunity.

The Korea FUD has caused red all round

I think we're just seeing an ongoing correction for the Korean situation which could take a bit of time to work through the system. Personally, I think there will be some decent purchasing opportunities coming up as a result, though no doubt will lose a few fingers trying to catch a falling knife. My bigger concern would be treating of crypto trading as gambling further afield in Asia where the Chinese are also known to have a precarious love hate relationship with gambling. Unlikely to change, but uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Great buy opportunity.
    A good point but my ETH is also red and I want to purchase some ICX... Cannot decide when is the right time to do it (newb)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Great buy opportunity.

I'd wait til America wakes up before doing anything. It's very likely they panic sell causing further drops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I always need to remind myself that the red we're seeing for ETH, etc, is not indicative of how it has performed since buying it, only of movement in the last, say, 24hrs.

Thinking "OMG it's only at $1,200" forgets the reality that it had never even seen $1,200 before last Monday!

If in doubt - zoom out. :)

Missed a good buy back in opportunity on ETH last night so still keeping an eye out for my first chance to 'buy the dip'. Looks like turkey sandwiches for brekkie and a possible slice of humble pie at lunch if i miss the next low. Is it a bit sad to kind of enjoy all this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dades wrote: »
    I always need to remind myself that the red we're seeing for ETH, etc, is not indicative of how it has performed since buying it, only of movement in the last, say, 24hrs.

Thinking "OMG it's only at $1,200" forgets the reality that it had never even seen $1,200 before last Monday!

If in doubt - zoom out. :)

Yeah you see the same thing with bitcoin all the time, omg it's down to it's ATH from 2 weeks ago, it's doomed. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 degra22

Yeah you see the same thing with bitcoin all the time, omg it's down to it's ATH from 2 weeks ago, it's doomed. :pac:

Thats because people don't realise that graphs go back 3,6,9 even a year.

24hour graphs are funny :)

Serious crash the last few days.....

Great time to buy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

What is the future for Ethereum long term?

Considering it's not a currency as such, will it end up just being traded as normal company on the exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yelnahs wrote: »
    Great time to buy ;)

Ya got another bit today at €855

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Ya got another bit today at €855
    Should have waited a bit longer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

It's been up and down more than a tart's knickers today in fairness, very difficult to call it right, so you just have to take a view.

Thanks,

G.

Big coins seem to have recovered slightly and stable for the last couple of hours albeit with a haircut. Watched the plummet to < €700 live on GDAX last night which was perversely entertaining given ETH is my main coin.

Picked some up at €755, was thinking of putting it straight into GDAX and picking up a few coins in the January sale but might just leave it as ETH

• Advertisement

Yelnahs wrote: »
    Picked some up at €755, was thinking of putting it straight into GDAX and picking up a few coins in the January sale but might just leave it as ETH

Hmmm, starting to slide again. I'm wondering whether the partial relative recovery was possibly due to people cashing out of alts via ETH. Either way, as one who was late entering the game in December I'm about 25% down across my investment at this point and am settling in for the long hodl. Not bothered, better to play and lose than spectate from the sidelines. May glorious summer follow :)

Advertisement