Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withdrawing from an ATM in Northern Ireland

• 12-10-2017 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know roughly how much the charge is for withdrawing Sterling up north? I have a fair idea they will try rip you off, and I know there are much cheaper ways of doing this. Just trying to clarify how roughly how much difference there is. Trying to persuade a friend to use my Revolut

As a quick example:
    I can change €200 for £173.68 in the Post Office
    Revolut will offer me £179.02.

If I was to go up north and withdraw that €200 from a random ATM would it be as low as £160? Or even lower?

I know the banks will (a) charge commission, (b) offer a worse rate, and (c) have some other charges for withdrawing up North.

Thanks a lot for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I know that if you withdraw from an ATM that is the same as your bank (so an Ulsterbank ATM for an UB ROI account), there won’t be a transaction charge. The exchange rate probably isn’t great though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know roughly how much the charge is for withdrawing Sterling up north? I have a fair idea they will try rip you off, and I know there are much cheaper ways of doing this. Just trying to clarify how roughly how much difference there is. Trying to persuade a friend to use my Revolut

As a quick example:
    I can change €200 for £173.68 in the Post Office
    Revolut will offer me £179.02.

If I was to go up north and withdraw that €200 from a random ATM would it be as low as £160? Or even lower?

I know the banks will (a) charge commission, (b) offer a worse rate, and (c) have some other charges for withdrawing up North.

Thanks a lot for your help

You've converted it to sterling yourself, how can they offer you a worse rate.

There may be ATM charges, but no conversion or commission.

Advertisement