Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap & number of bedrooms query

Options
  • 12-10-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking at having to rent a house/apartment under the HAP scheme.
    I have my eye on a house but the thing is it has only one bedroom and the house is for me and my 6 year old child.
    We share a bed as it is, so I’d have no problem continuing to do so for the next few years, in fact even if I get somewhere with two or more rooms he’ll still sleep in with me.

Would HAP he refused on the basis of there not being a second room when there’s two people on the house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi,
    I am looking at having to rent a house/apartment under the HAP scheme.
    I have my eye on a house but the thing is it has only one bedroom and the house is for me and my 6 year old child.
    We share a bed as it is, so I’d have no problem continuing to do so for the next few years, in fact even if I get somewhere with two or more rooms he’ll still sleep in with me.

Would HAP he refused on the basis of there not being a second room when there’s two people on the house?

I suspect any landlord you approach might have concerns about your proposed sleeping arrangements. The LA might have a few questions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

davo10 wrote: »
    I suspect any landlord you approach might have concerns about your proposed sleeping arrangements. The LA might have a few questions as well.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

How so?

If you plan to stay there a few years, you'll be sharing a bed with an adolescent.

davo10 wrote: »
    If you plan to stay there a few years, you'll be sharing a bed with an adolescent.

2 years I think is the typical HAP lease? That would bring him up to 8. He has additional needs.
    If we can’t rent anywhere the other option is emergency accommodation, which is one bedroom anyway?

I’m hopeful that in the next couple of years I’d be in a position to afford a bit more rent. I suppose I’m kind of a “cross that bridge when we come to it” kind of person at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

2 years I think is the typical HAP lease? That would bring him up to 8. He has additional needs.
    If we can’t rent anywhere the other option is emergency accommodation, which is one bedroom anyway?

I’m hopeful that in the next couple of years I’d be in a position to afford a bit more rent. I suppose I’m kind of a “cross that bridge when we come to it” kind of person at the minute.

Emergency accommodation is what it says on the tin, emergency accommodation. It is not designed for longer term living. Sharing a bedroom in a hotel for a few weeks is very different to sharing a bedroom for 2 years.

Have you contacted a housing association to explain your situation?

• Advertisement

Emergency accommodation is what it says on the tin, emergency accommodation. It is not designed for longer term living. Sharing a bedroom in a hotel for a few weeks is very different to sharing a bedroom for 2 years.

Have you contacted a housing association to explain your situation?

What kind of housing association? Sorry, I’m clueless about all this, I was blissfully ignorant of anything to do with housing issues until now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes- it would be refused- as under Local Authority rules- the property is not suitable for your needs.

Yes- it would be refused- as under Local Authority rules- the property is not suitable for your needs.

Disappointing to hear but thank you for the answer

Advertisement