Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New motorway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pat ticket

BBM77 wrote: »
    Ahh, this is it. Screw you jack we are alright is what you are really getting at.

Quite frankly I find this condescending and the same attitude that has Waterford people dying on the side of roads in ambulances. I’d love to know why we have to “wait our turn” in your self-appointed pecking order when there is a perfectly viable and fairer option.

Yes you'll have to wait for the M24, just like the people who will use the M20 have waited while the interurban programme was built, then the M18 and M17 and M11 upgrades. Consider that the M20 was supposed to be built by now but the aforementioned interurban programme and the recession got in the way.

And seeing as you're bringing emotive reasoning into the discussion, what about the people who die regularly on the current sub-standard N20? what good is an M24 to people who travel the N20 goat track day after day? You and others seem to completely miss the very obvious point that most people who will use the M20 won't be driving Limerick to Cork and back again, but will be travelling from towns in between the 2 cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    If Waterford and Tipperary politicians got there fingers out and propose the cork Limerick route goes through mitchelstown then Waterford could link a new motorway from Waterford to mitchelstown and that would give Waterford a motorway to both cork and Limerick and link up the 3 cities for the same price as building a whole new motorway from cork to Limerick

Cork to Limerick via Mitchelstown is not viable!

If you have ever travelled the N20 you’d know this.

Plus if your proposal went ahead the Dunkettle roundabout would have traffic from all of north Cork going into it.

an M24 is viable in the long term.

As is a bypass of Killeagh and Castlemartyr along the N25 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Cork to Limerick via Mitchelstown is not viable!

If you have ever travelled the N20 you’d know this.

Plus if your proposal went ahead the Dunkettle roundabout would have traffic from all of north Cork going into it.

an M24 is viable in the long term.

As is a bypass of Killeagh and Castlemartyr along the N25 route.

Dublin takes the m7,8&9 into the red cow, the dunkettle can take traffic from limerick and towns north of cork city.sure a separate motorway into cork in a different location maybe ,would be nice but in reality, money is tight,I don't think the rolls Royce option is prudent

Max Powers wrote: »
    Dublin takes the m7,8&9 into the red cow, the dunkettle can take traffic from limerick and towns north of cork city.sure a separate motorway into cork in a different location maybe ,would be nice but in reality, money is tight,I don't think the rolls Royce option is prudent

Maybe not,however it is most likely the preferred option and one i favour myself.

Join the discussion and express your feelings by all means, i'd be interested in seeing how many agree with you that it should branch off from Mitchelstown, the majority from what i've seen are in favour of it going from Blarney to Patrickswell.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055372963

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Maybe not,however it is most likely the preferred option and one i favour myself.

Join the discussion and express your feelings by all means, i'd be interested in seeing how many agree with you that it should branch off from Mitchelstown, the majority from what i've seen are in favour of it going from Blarney to Patrickswell.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055372963

Wha!I don't think a thread dominated by people from cork/limerick are gonna be too happy or agree with my thoughts on how their two cities should be linked, and they should be by motorway, but I and others think there is a more sensible/prudent way/route.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    Wha!I don't think a thread dominated by people from cork/limerick are gonna be too happy or agree with my thoughts on how their two cities should be linked, and they should be by motorway, but I and others think there is a more sensible/prudent way/route.

Hop over and voice your opinion regardless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Anybody have any update on when new Ross by pass bridge will be open to the public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Anybody have any update on when new Ross by pass bridge will be open to the public

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056034388&page=72

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

They are saying July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Nope. November at the earliest.

• Advertisement

Azatadine wrote: »
    Nope. November at the earliest.

Where did you see or see that as according to the councils update and BAM themselves they are saying it is on time.

It's in the New Ross bypass thread. If you travel to down to take a look at it, there's a LOT to be done still. It's currently 6 months behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

alta stare wrote: »
    Where did you see or see that as according to the councils update and BAM themselves they are saying it is on time.

BAM also said they could build the new children's hospital for 650m!

Teebor15 wrote: »

Was that BAM too??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Azatadine wrote:
    Was that BAM too??

Apparently so, they seem to doing well out of public projects

Azatadine wrote: »
    It's in the New Ross bypass thread. If you travel to down to take a look at it, there's a LOT to be done still. It's currently 6 months behind schedule.

The councils updates are also in that. I know from reading and posting in that thread that some posters have mentioned it is behind as they supposedly heard so.

I know there is a good bit to do especially with the bridge itself but the major overpasses and the likes are pretty much done.

Id be surprised if it takes until November. Maybe they wont hit the July date but i cant see it going past September. Each week that i pass it you can see more being done.

Teebor15 wrote: »

Well to be fair if the government are dumb enough to willingly throw money at BAM then of course BAM would start upping the cost. Contracts were signed off on in that hospital without proper consultation or planning. Typical Irish way of going about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

alta stare wrote:
    Well to be fair if the government are dumb enough to willingly throw money at BAM then of course BAM would start upping the cost. Contracts were signed off on in that hospital without proper consultation or planning. Typical Irish way of going about things.

Or was it planned that way?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Or was it planned that way?

Probably :D

Thought I'd just bump this thread again.the cork or limerick crowd won't like the thought of sharing their beloved motorway with waterford.politics was winning out while economic sense is to link cork limerick and waterford through chair
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-40248434.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thought I'd just bump this thread again.the cork or limerick crowd won't like the thought of sharing their beloved motorway with waterford.politics was winning out while economic sense is to link cork limerick and waterford through chair

I have long held the view that Rosslare should have adequate road connectivity to the West of the country, and this is even more necessary now after Brexit.

That is saying nothing at all about the dismal standard of the connectivity between Waterford and Limerick. That road has had multiple proposals for improvement including various bypasses over the past decades.

It must surely be long past time this was made a priority.
    IMO the Limerick to Cork direct motorway makes less sense than the Waterford to Cork direct motorway considering the distance and time saved by such motorways.

Maybe, just maybe some semblence of sense will be applied, instead of parish pump and party politics, to our country's infrastructure needs.
    (always the optimist :) )

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There’s a separate dual carriageway in planning from Pallasgreen to Waterford. The reason they’re not consolidated is there’s a lot of local traffic along both routes that means they have to be developed separately.

The M20 is picking up some opposition from those along the route which has also attracted some agenda driven individuals to the project too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Always thought the Cork Limerick motorway was absurd. To me it is just a Langer ego trip. With the M20 there would be a motorway from Galway down the west ending in Cork. With the N24 it would split at Cahir going to Cork and Waterford. Even just one look at a map and it just jumps out how silly spending a billion on the N20 is when spending it on the N24 would do so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

marno21 wrote: »
    There’s a separate dual carriageway in planning from Pallasgreen to Waterford. The reason they’re not consolidated is there’s a lot of local traffic along both routes that means they have to be developed separately.

The M20 is picking up some opposition from those along the route which has also attracted some agenda driven individuals to the project too.

They might have an agenda but it is just common sense also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"Splitting the difference" and using the M8 to Cahir and then back to Limerick on the "M24" clearly makes sense from a financial point of view as you kill two birds with the one stone. They could even keep Cork big mouths quiet by making sure to do that section first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

"Splitting the difference" and using the M8 to Cahir and then back to Limerick on the "M24" clearly makes sense from a financial point of view as you kill two birds with the one stone. They could even keep Cork big mouths quiet by making sure to do that section first.

It would be the more logical section to do first, in traffic terms.

For heavy vehicles in and out of Rosslare from/to the West and midlands, the rest will be important.

It will have to be done eventually, so it should be given consideration now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Roads forum is in predictable uproar.

Yeah I always thought parish pump politics had a big part to play in the m20 as the m8 runs basically parallel to it up till cahir.a few cork egos will be dented over this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Yeah I always thought parish pump politics had a big part to play in the m20 as the m8 runs basically parallel to it up till cahir.a few cork egos will be dented over this

I never knew a triangle had two parallel sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

M20 via Cahir is not a solution, it was considered in the initial roure selection and ruled out.

The people advancing it as some great and somehow missed opportunity are little more than common or garden NIMBYs. If they have a problem with the route being planned, they should raise their concerns and have them aired on their merits rather than the not near my land, put it on someone else's land instead, masquerading as fiscal proberty.

N24 needs to be done too and the the plans are in progress for parts of it already.

Advertisement