Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager Casually dropped Bonus related KPI's have changed?

Options
  • 12-10-2017 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi Looking for some advice.

Being working for a Company 8 years and a permanent employee.

First 5 years was receiving Annual Bonus for basicly turning up for work.

3yrs ago the introduced KPI's that we had to meet to get the bonus. I just went with it. (Probably could have done something about it at the time but we live and learn)

My big issue is today My manager said that I have new KPI's and wont be getting my bonus unless I achieve them, still hasn't said what they are but am aware they are totally different not just increased numbers but completely different tasks.

Am I wrong to believe hes way out of line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

That's the problem with a "bonus" it's never a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

moany fuc wrote: »
    Hi Looking for some advice.

Being working for a Company 8 years and a permanent employee.

First 5 years was receiving Annual Bonus for basicly turning up for work.

3yrs ago the introduced KPI's that we had to meet to get the bonus. I just went with it. (Probably could have done something about it at the time but we live and learn)

My big issue is today My manager said that I have new KPI's and wont be getting my bonus unless I achieve them, still hasn't said what they are but am aware they are totally different not just increased numbers but completely different tasks.

Am I wrong to believe hes way out of line.

Yes you are wrong
    He is well within line
    A bonus is a bonus and not wages /salary
    You have become used to it and see it as an entitlement
    We must work for bonus based on our performance
    When we achieve them it is common the goal post will be moved and targets higher and higher which drives our performance
    It's how we keep motivated and improving

With that type of attitude but no disrespect I wouldn't want someone like that on my team (if it was a sales or debt collection team)

It's a bonus to be achieved remember

However I understand your frustration given previous practice but it is wrong

You should adapt and look to achieve these targets rather than thinking it is wrong

Best of luck with the work

wally1990 wrote: »
    It's how we keep motivated and improving
    When targets are clearly communicated maybe.
    When it is mentioned in passing without fleshing it out it could achieve the opposite.

We don't know the timeline for this.
    We don't know how relevant the new ones are or how achievable they are.

I wouldn't be impressed if that was changed for me and all I knew was that I wasn't meeting it.

If possible I would arrange a meeting with your boss and ask what the new measures are, how you are doing and possibly what you could do to meet those metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It would obviously be unfair to you to measure your performance against KPIs in respect of a period during which you didn't know what the KPIs were - and even more unfair if, at that time, they let you think you were going to be measured in respect of an entirely different set of KPIs. So, much depends on the timing.

But, can they tell you early on in the year that your bonus at the end of the year will be measured on these new KPIs? Certainly, they can. And is this still true if the new KPIs seem likely to be more challenging than the old ones? Yes, it is. It's pretty standard to use bonuses to target/incentivise the kind of changes or developments that the business needs. (That's pretty much the rationale for having bonuses at all, to be honest.) And of course what the business needs is in a constant state of flux, so the basis for bonuses may be changed quite regularly.

Advertisement