Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill grass and weeds

Options
  • 12-10-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Wondering what would be a good product to kill grass and weeds, and product must be suitable to use on granite?

I've granite cobblelock on the driveway. Grass and weeds have started to make their way up. I want to apply some product to kill everything growing, but i want to be sure it won't stain the stone.

The supplier of the granite cobblelock suggested getting a product that is compatible for use with concrete, he said the product should state this on it.

I've got weedkiller for the grass but there's no mention on the packaging of it being suitable for concrete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Short answer: Roundup should be fine.
    Long answer: 168 pages of research (PDF).

Just be careful about overspray and wind. Roundup kills pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

burn it away with a roof or weed burner and no harm to your driveway
    doing it on our place 3 times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

When I look at the Roundup products on Amazon, such as this one, they all seem to be just weedkillers. Will they also kill the grass? Or do I need a specific product to kill both grass and weeds?

On the Roundup website they have a product that is for killing both grass and weeds, see here. But I do not see this product on Amazon.co.uk

I also see another product on the Roundup website, Roundup® Ready-To-Use Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer II, but it does not appear to be available on any Irish or UK websites.

Are these Roundup products for killing both grass and weeds available in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AFAIK the active ingredient in all Roundup products is Glyphosate, a broad-spectrum herbicide. It kills everything that isn't specifically resistant to it, which is almost every plant on earth. The differences are concentration levels and non-active ingredients which change the consistency.

So yes, it will kill grass.

It will also do harm to various important creatures, so try to use it as little as possible.

I've stopped using it entirely in the past few months for weed control, there was just one one big application during an expensive landscaping project where I wanted to return an area to lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Limerick_MH

Roundup will definitely do the job.

Cheaper version called touchdown available in coop stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

I've bought some Roundup premixed for pavement. So I'll see how it goes.

I read somewhere that a mixture of hot water, salt, vinegar and washing up liquid poured over your pavement keeps any growth of grass/weeds away. Anyone got any success with this or it's just an old wives tale?

Advertisement